Studio program?

tembleofbu

Reaction score
Anyone in here records their own music?
I am looking for some free amateur studio recording program
I've normally used Dance Ejay (if any1 know that) but unfortunatly my cd is gone
So I've downloaded something called n-track studio, which I diden't like very much... Thank You...

www.propellerheads.se

Reason 3.0 is great, incredibly versatile. You can do pretty much any imaginable kind of music on it.

But it's kind of a big step from eJay to it since you have to record the melodies etc from a midikeyboard (or use Bome's mousekeyboard like me if you don't have one), and you need to know abit music theory and the organisation of songs.

Oh, right it's not free.. Not by a long shot, but you could try the demo out.

Other than that, I don't know, fruity loops?

Wow.. thanks, but I just want something simple, where I can record some guitar and vocal..... :)

yeah Reason for the win. Fruityloops is good too.

SearanoX said:
Fruity Loops is only really good if you want to do MIDI stuff, though. For recording purposes I wouldn't endorse it.

QFE, it's a beginners tool really.

Yer guess we forgot cubase but I wouldn't say it's as popular as FL and Reason... around my yard anyway.

I was also going to reccomend FL Studio and Reason 3.0, both programs that I use. Don't know how Cubase compares, but I'll give it a whirl at some point. Basically, practically every program has its strengths/weaknesses and caters to different people's preferences.

I dunno. Maybe you might just want to dick around with Cubase and Acid. I don't even know how Logic fares.

Devvo said:
QFE, it's a beginners tool really.
:rolleyes: tell that to the pros who use it.
avoid reason. go for fl if you are impatient, otherwise i recommend logic which is abandonware on the pc now so the only way to get it is free, but i love it. if you want something thats still supported cubase is the usual alternative to logic. or else use fl for a while, till you can use it comfortably, then switch to logic which can be set up and used in a very similar way to fl.
acid, sonar, project 5 and ableton live are other options. acid isnt near as advanced as logic/cubase or even fl but it has its uses, its very good for working with loops or making mix cds/mashups etc. i dont, and wouldnt use it as my main sequencer. sonar ive not used in years and years so i dunno what thats like nowadays. i have recently tried live, but its interface is cluttered and i really prefer how things are done in other programs, although its one of the easiest programs to learn. as for project 5, i got the demo of that once and it was just a mess and was swiftly uninstalled.
if you want a free program legally, theres not much option apart from trackers.

Reaktor4 said:
:rolleyes: tell that to the pros who use it.
avoid reason. go for fl if you are impatient, otherwise i recommend logic which is abandonware on the pc now so the only way to get it is free, but i love it. if you want something thats still supported cubase is the usual alternative to logic. or else use fl for a while, till you can use it comfortably, then switch to logic which can be set up and used in a very similar way to fl.
acid, sonar, project 5 and ableton live are other options. acid isnt near as advanced as logic/cubase or even fl but it has its uses, its very good for working with loops or making mix cds/mashups etc. i dont, and wouldnt use it as my main sequencer. sonar ive not used in years and years so i dunno what thats like nowadays. i have recently tried live, but its interface is cluttered and i really prefer how things are done in other programs, although its one of the easiest programs to learn. as for project 5, i got the demo of that once and it was just a mess and was swiftly uninstalled.
if you want a free program legally, theres not much option apart from trackers.

Pro's?

LOL! You can tell a FL tune straight off, no matter. FL has it's limits, you can get so far with the music, but it'll never sound pro!

Devvo said:
Pro's?

LOL! You can tell a FL tune straight off, no matter. FL has it's limits, you can get so far with the music, but it'll never sound pro!
you sound like a complete noob.

The idea that FL is some sort of amateur program is bollocks. It's easy to get into, but in the end the quality of your final product is dependent on how much effort you put into it. In other words: it does require skill like all other programs do (sans eJay and all that shite).

I'm personally a Reason whore. My only issues with it is the lack of VST support and drum synthesis. Should I require those, however, I'll simply make two independent tracks (the core Reason one and the FL one with the instruments I want) and then mix them together in Acid. While I realize I could do this in Acid itself, I just find it more practical and easier in FL. If I want to completely screw up a drum synthesis pattern, I'll load it into Recycle and go from there.

Absinthe said:
The idea that FL is some sort of amateur program is bollocks. It's easy to get into, but in the end the quality of your final product is dependent on how much effort you put into it. In other words: it does require skill like all other programs do (sans eJay and all that shite).

I'm personally a Reason whore. My only issues with it is the lack of VST support and drum synthesis. Should I require those, however, I'll simply make two independent tracks (the core Reason one and the FL one with the instruments I want) and then mix them together in Acid. While I realize I could do this in Acid itself, I just find it more practical and easier in FL. If I want to completely screw up a drum synthesis pattern, I'll load it into Recycle and go from there.
you should not use reason to render wav files, just to let you know. there are quality issues that afaik still exist.
what you put into fl is what you get out of it. a lot of beginnerss use it and make crap songs, because they dont know much/anything about mixing, programming synths, use of fx, mastering etc and they probably used the samples loaded by default which are not good. but if someone uses different samples there is absolutely no way to tell if the song was made in fl or not. its not like you record some awesome lead from a virus into fl and it suddenly changes into 'the fl sound' like devvo seems to think. again, there are many pros who use it.

Aye, my early FL studio compositions were complete wank. Had no clue how to configure effects, control automation, or even program a synth. 'Course, I started out creating tracks with samples in Acid (before I really knew what the program was), so at least it was a step in the right direction. :) I think I fiddled about with FL for about 2 or 3 good years. By the end of my time with it, I think I became quite competent not just with the program, but the the underlying method of creating electronic music. And it helped that I had a good selection of 3rd party VST plugins. The "FL sound" was non-existent to my ears.

I've also started toying with Reaktor a bit for the last few months, mainly the creation of softsynths and the like.

Adobe Audition... also known as (or was known as) CoolEditPro

Back