Stuff I noticed about the Black Mesa East dam

Where the hell did Barney come from?! It's a race between Gordon and the Gman!

It's a side-effect of Gman's MAGICAL HOVERCRAFT.

Holy shit this thread is starting to scare me!!!

How about the basin behind the dam is just completely filled with sediment? That would explain the sudden height difference between the part with the BME entrance and the riverbed.

Edit: On a further note, afaik it is implied nowhere in the game that BME actually uses the power of the dam.

Edit: On a further note, afaik it is implied nowhere in the game that BME actually uses the power of the dam.
If anything, the implication is that they don't, because the Vortiguants seem to be employed in powering up the generators during the lift ride.

If anything, the implication is that they don't, because the Vortiguants seem to be employed in powering up the generators during the lift ride.

I think that scene was just them at target practice, as they use the signature green beams instead of their "charging" blue.

I think that scene was just them at target practice, as they use the signature green beams instead of their "charging" blue.

Maybe the blue ones aren't strong enough, to power a big complex, they need the greens!

What color is the beam it uses to weld the gun to the airboat? Anyone remember?

Hmm. It must've been target practice, then, though it looked like some kind of machinery they were doing it at...
Or maybe it is a power issue after all - they were surge-testing something or other, maybe.

I'd reckon the colour is an intensity thing. Charging a human sized suit or welding a gun in place requires a different touch than charging a bus-sized generator.

I also don't see the vortiguants as particularly given to target practice.

Good god. Aren't we overanalyzing things here?

It's just a Dam. A dam that Valve thought would look cool.

Remember, that the Combaine have a teleport somewhere in the middle of the Ocean. This teleport takes water from Earth, and therefore, makes the coastlines recede (the point of Lost Coast). Because there is much less water on Earth than there used to be, the water levels by the dam got much lower.

@ the lightning colour thing. I remember reading somewhere that blue is the strongest type of visible lightning. It goes down the rainbow from red to blue. Could be a pile of crap though.

Exactly. It's about wavelenght and energy levels and crap. Wasn't really paying attention when I heard it though.

This teleport takes water from Earth, and therefore, makes the coastlines recede (the point of Lost Coast).

Uh, how do you figure that? The sea-level was shown at a normal level in the Lost Coast.

I think he was just referring to the coastal area in highway 17/sandtraps in general really.
Not something to nitpick tbh.

By the way, do vortigaunts ever miss in HL1? oR does their beam always hit you?

If time it correctly you can dodge the bolts. They can track you if you are moving at a constant speed but not if you are accellerating.

Not to mention dodging behind shit and jumping and crap.

the boats were build in the little bit of water after the dam, just to like sail about that little bit, and the dam broke and thats why it seemed to be working badly. also the g-man was inside the dam messing things up deliberately so that he could waste people's time trying to work out why it was like that

Back