Suggestion on Leaked Source...

S

svMedia

Something Valve should do is release HL2 ASAP. They're going to suffer a loss regardless so why not suffer less by releasing the game right away. This would stop most people from downloading the source code and actually purchase HL2. It makes sense to me... anyone else? I've been waiting for this game forever, and to think that it might get pushed back again or not be released at all is overwhelming! I would have to do something very bad to anyone who downloads the source code, I mean common... why not respect the people who put in long hours of hard work in making this game? Anyone who downloads the source code, to me, is just as lame as the one who leaked it in the first place.

Sorry... just joined this forum but it seems to me that it can't be stated enough.

1. the source is out. not changing the source before release means 100x better cheats, 100x faster than the previous hl.

2. taking more time to finish up whatever they were working on will make for a better game.

Originally posted by svMedia
This would stop most people from downloading the source code and actually purchase HL2.

You seem to be a little misguided here. The source code is actually the games engine which conrols the behind the scenes stuff, and the game code which controls AI, player movement, weapon behaviors, and so on.
Downloading the source code does not allow you to play a finished version of HL2, in fact it does not allow you to play any version of HL2 at all since no content came with the source. If you were talking about the beta I can assure you that it is in no way shape or form even close to being a full or even close to complete version of HL2, so no matter what people have downloaded on their machines, source or beta, no one has a version of HL2 that would be a suitable substitute for the real game. The full game wasn't leaked. Rushing the game out into stores now would not be wise on Valves part as the game is not yet finished.

Sorry... I was under the impression it was the full game, just leaked. But still... being the source for the engine is still very bad and I still think an earlier release would be in the best interest of Valve. The longer they wait the sooner someone else will come out with a game with knowledge of how this engine was written (if this is a new engine of course). It's a loss in revenue either way you look at it. So taking their time in finishing this game may be a good idea to come out with something gamers will absolutly love, but it's not going to last as long as they had hoped for. That's why I say an early release is better.

svMedia your signature scares me man. it like knows everything

well, the thing is that no reputable company will use Valves work as their own. The biggest threat is not that, but rather the fact that cheaters and hackers will find, well, cheats and hacks. It's sort of scary since some of the steam code was released with the source (this only seems to be in some versions) and could allow a hacker an entry way into a players system. That would be very bad, much worse than cheats which are normally patched up quickly anyway. My bet is that valve is reworking some of Steam and some of their netcode to fight cheaters and hackers. The leaks or thefts will not really cause any loss of revenue since everyone is still going to be buying the game. The only thing Valve really needs to do right now is get the game out before christmas.

Back