Surround Sound Issues

SpuD

Reaction score
I have a 5.1 surround sound set up, I can get music playing though all the speakers with my nforce 2 onboard sound, but I dont think its surround sound- when i hook up the cord that should be the rear speakers they shut off, and only the front ones work. If its unplugged, they all work, but the sound doesnt differ from front to back, only left to right.

I've tried downloading all the drivers from the asus website and the nvidia website, none seem to fix it.

help

what I have:
asus a7n8x-x
nforce 2 chipset
philips speakers (not sure of the model, threw the box away.)

I think you need a sound card to truly get surround sound. Get one anyways, they're much better than any onboard sound card.

its supposed to be 6 channel surround sound

Generally music is only stereo. ;)
It's possible to have your sound card play it through all of the speakers and some will even attempt to recreate sound from those two channels but it won't be anything more than fake surround sound.

Yeah, try a movie, or a game with surrond sound.
Music doesnt have it :D

and no, You dont need a sound card for surrond sound :rolleyes:

so if you have Nforce2 board with 6 channel sound on it, in games/music will buying a sound card be useless? I get music through all my speakers in winamp except the centre channel but i have a 'Matrix' button for that which puts sound through there. In Doom3 its all speakers go ! :D

Could i hook these speakers up to a dvd player/tv and get surround sound in films? If not, what kit do i need? I only have speakers/sub set.

I dont know if you can, i know i can.

So i see no reason you cant.
You might need a digital, to analog surrond sound converter, if you dont have optical/RCA digital in on your speakers.

Or if your computer has digital in, you could run it from DVD to computer, then to speakers, like i do.

as for doom, you get surrond sound in doom right?

and dont use matrix. IT trys to fake surrond sound.

Sux

Just to clarify, i was looking at your board, and i only see 3 audio ports, how are you hooking up your surrond sound?

green one in the green(middle) slot, black one in the blue(right) slot

When i unplug the black one all the speakers work, but not surround sound.

Gunsnroses i cant have my pc in the room, im just wondering if i can hook up my speakers to a dvd player and have them in the front room of my new house, my pc will be seperate. I get correct surrouond sound in Doom3 without Matrix, but films etc i need matrix in or the centre doesnt work.

Spud, i got black in orange, orange in black and green in green. For some reason it doesnt work until orange and black are swopped :eek:

After looking Here I found that the decoder chip has built on 2CH connectors. Much like some boards that run out of room, or that have a load of audio connectors, this one sports a device in the Back Panel listing called "1 x Audio I/O". This will contain the extra 2 jacks you need to get correct 6CH audio from that board. It will be a back plate that connects to the MOBO via a small cable.

RABIES said:
After looking Here I found that the decoder chip has built on 2CH connectors. Much like some boards that run out of room, or that have a load of audio connectors, this one sports a device in the Back Panel listing called "1 x Audio I/O". This will contain the extra 2 jacks you need to get correct 6CH audio from that board. It will be a back plate that connects to the MOBO via a small cable.

Yupp, that's right. I read that on a norwegian forum a little while ago.

The Supafly-moderator: Check your motherboard for this. I had problems with my onboard surround (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe), but that was actually just because I didn't bother to read the manual. How could I know that I was supposed to put 1 plug - IN, 1 plug - OUT, 1 plug - MIC.

Do what Rabies said, and read the manual if you haven't already done it.

Yeah you might havbe UAJ.

But mine has a pci bracket, to hook up to the board.

You can hook your speakers up to TV, if you they have optical in, or RCA digital in.

If not you'll need to buy a converter.

Green in your center? Odd...

Green should be your front right, front left.
Orange should be center/sub
black should be rear left, and rear right.

and i dont know the color for side speakers, but you dont have 7.1, you got 5.1 so you should not be using side speakers.

Back