System Failed CPU test ie F*CK!@

Icarusintel

Reaction score
Alright, I had my awesome rig at college, which is very dusty, I brought my rig home, sporayed it out with the canned air, then hooked it up and hit the power button. Then I heard "System failed CPU test" repeating like 50 times. Now, I tried everything I could think of: reseating the CPU heatsink, the CPU, and resetting the motherboard, and nada. Now, I've got a Pentium 3.4GHz with an Asus P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard. Can anyone help me?
I thought I was doing good by cleaning it out, I've learned my lesson.

Icarusintel said:
Alright, I had my awesome rig at college, which is very dusty, I brought my rig home, sporayed it out with the canned air, then hooked it up and hit the power button. Then I heard "System failed CPU test" repeating like 50 times. Now, I tried everything I could think of: reseating the CPU heatsink, the CPU, and resetting the motherboard, and nada. Now, I've got a Pentium 3.4GHz with an Asus P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard. Can anyone help me?

Hmm. So you can't even get into the bios?

I would be surprised if you actually did end up frying the cpu. Once, I went into the kitchen, ran my hands under the water, scrubbed with soap and a scouring pad, then dried my hands off with a towel (might have been cotton though) then went over to my cpu, and went on my merry way putting thermal grease on. After perhaps, 15 minutes, I realized I had forgot to put my wristband back on. 15 minutes of completely unadulterated, un-antistatic, touching the pins fun :E . And i'm writing this message on that cpu, so you can guess what DIDN'T happen.

I know it may sound dumb, but did you remember to push the retention lever back down (hmm. Maybe not. Cause if you didn't, you're heatsink and cpu would go KAPOOK, and you'd have a nice big block of metal at the bottom of your case).

All the power connectors back in?

sinkoman said:
Hmm. So you can't even get into the bios?

I would be surprised if you actually did end up frying the cpu. Once, I went into the kitchen, ran my hands under the water, scrubbed with soap and a scouring pad, then dried my hands off with a towel (might have been cotton though) then went over to my cpu, and went on my merry way putting thermal grease on. After perhaps, 15 minutes, I realized I had forgot to put my wristband back on. 15 minutes of completely unadulterated, un-antistatic, touching the pins fun :E . And i'm writing this message on that cpu, so you can guess what DIDN'T happen.

I know it may sound dumb, but did you remember to push the retention lever back down (hmm. Maybe not. Cause if you didn't, you're heatsink and cpu would go KAPOOK, and you'd have a nice big block of metal at the bottom of your case).

All the power connectors back in?
yeah, i checked everything and went about it all the right way, the only two things that happened inbetween it working fine at school and dying at home was me moving it (which shouldn;t affect it cause all the parts are clamped down) and cleaning it out with the air can... which shouldn;t have done anything either, unless it needed the dust to run.... :|
any other ideas? cause i need to get it working for BF2 and I don;t really wanna have to buy another mobo/cpu

hmm this is a tough one. Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard, somethign could have happened to it and it may be detecting hardware incorrectly. Also make sure you have checked everything! Like make sure teh RAM is firmly inplace, along with your videocard and stuff. Probably already checked that stuff though.

duffers20 said:
hmm this is a tough one. Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard, somethign could have happened to it and it may be detecting hardware incorrectly. Also make sure you have checked everything! Like make sure teh RAM is firmly inplace, along with your videocard and stuff. Probably already checked that stuff though.
I did try clearing the CMOS once but I can try again, maybe I messed up the first time
if i clear the CMOS will the BIOS revert versions? b/c i had to update it to get it to work properly and i'd rather not have to flash it again

I don't use wristbands etc, those are for wimps. jk. I have one hand touching the side of the case and the other hand touching the component. It has worked so far for me.

gweedodogg69 said:
I don't use wristbands etc, those are for wimps. jk. I have one hand touching the side of the case and the other hand touching the component. It has worked so far for me.
i used one when i first built it, but haven't used one since and i've been alright so far, mostly my body is too sweaty to get any friction to build a shock

alright, i'm bumping this to put out the call again
i'm really frustrated and have tried everything i can think of, it still says the system is failing the CPU test, so I tried again today
I checked the CPU, it's fine, I checked the pins on the board, they're fine, I reseated the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan, it all looks good
I even tried resetting the CMOS (again) and nothing
Everything turns on and runs and all the lights light up, so it shouldn;t be a PSU problem, so, I'm at my wit's end and about to buy a new mobo or CPU and try again
Before I burn the cash though I just wanna know if anyone can help
Again, I have a P5AD2 Deluxe mobo with an Intel P4 3.4GHz LGA775
It worked when I had it at school beautifully, and all I did was bring it home and clean it out a little with air and it stopped working
Please, someone, please

Icarusintel said:
if i clear the CMOS will the BIOS revert versions? b/c i had to update it to get it to work properly and i'd rather not have to flash it again
No, the BIOS is stored in an EPROM that's totally separate.

Isolate the problem. Disconnect everything from the motherboard but the processor, one stick of RAM, and your video card. See if you can find out what it is. If you have access to another Prescott motherboard somewhere, test out your processor on that.

Did you spray the canned air in short bursts? Did you at all shake the can? If you either shook the can a lot, or didn't spray in bursts, then chances are some of the liquid stuff may have been sprayed out aswell. That stuff also comes out if you spray the can upside down. So, you might have messed up somthing while spraying out some of the liquid.

Dumb Dude said:
Did you spray the canned air in short bursts? Did you at all shake the can? If you either shook the can a lot, or didn't spray in bursts, then chances are some of the liquid stuff may have been sprayed out aswell. That stuff also comes out if you spray the can upside down. So, you might have messed up somthing while spraying out some of the liquid.
its possible that could've happened, but that would've only damaged the mobo, right? since the CPU was still underneath the heatsink

well, I'll try th isolation thing, though there's not much else hooked up other than the hard drive(s) - sadly I don;t have access to another LGA775 mobo or CPU and no one I know has one, which kinda leaves me in a bind

Icarusintel said:
its possible that could've happened, but that would've only damaged the mobo, right? since the CPU was still underneath the heatsink

Well, it could be that the area around the socket got damaged therefore not letting the CPU communicate correctly to the motherboard itself. But I don't know, at this point, to me, it looks like its the motherboard.

Take out the cpu and put it back in. In fact reseet everything(cables as well). make sure everything is plugged in well. Leave the hard drive and everything except the mobo, cpu, vid card in. Take out RAM, and un plug everything except the mobo power, cpu power(if your mobo has one) and the power button. Try it then, see if any of that helps.

Glirk Dient said:
Take out the cpu and put it back in. In fact reseet everything(cables as well). make sure everything is plugged in well. Leave the hard drive and everything except the mobo, cpu, vid card in. Take out RAM, and un plug everything except the mobo power, cpu power(if your mobo has one) and the power button. Try it then, see if any of that helps.
thanks, i'll give it a whirl tomorrow, and if that doesn;t work i guess i'm buying a new mobo

Icarusintel said:

YARRRHHHGGGG!!!!! Never use Canned Air!!! Canned Air creates Static and that's why your CPU and Mothreboard is gone. Just buy a new Motherboard and CPU..next time use a vacumme cleaner or something else that doesn't blow AIR on to the chips.

dream431ca said:
YARRRHHHGGGG!!!!! Never use Canned Air!!! Canned Air creates Static and that's why your CPU and Mothreboard is gone. Just buy a new Motherboard and CPU..next time use a vacumme cleaner or something else that doesn't blow AIR on to the chips.

Actually, a vaccume would create more static than a can of air. Canned air is used very commonly to clean computer hardware :rolling:

sinkoman said:
Actually, a vaccume would create more static than a can of air. Canned air is used very commonly to clean computer hardware :rolling:

Wrong. A vacumme doesn't blow air onto the components. Canned air is a very popular thing to use but it's also the most dangerous to hardware.

Icarusintel said:
so, vaccum or canned air?

Canned air works just fine. Just make sure you never shake it or spray it tilted. Actually, whichever you perfer. Hardware isn't as sensitive to static as most people say it is, its still harmful, but by no means is a wriststrap a must. Just be careful about liquid, that stuff kills.

Make sure you're not starting up with dual channel RAM (just take 1 stick out if you're using 2, and make sure the one still left is in the right slot). It's not your CPU, that warning message only says (albiet vaguely) that something is wrong and the CPU couldn't load up all the required peices because one of them is not working properly. My money is that the problem lies in your RAM.

Dumb Dude said:
Hardware isn't as sensitive to static as most people say it is, its still harmful, but by no means is a wriststrap a must.
Actually it is very sensitive to static. Generally you are grounded though. I've had 1 board and some cards just die because I touched them when I wasn't grounded. See, if you get used to the fact that you are grounded then you will stop thinking about it and thats when they get shocked. I agree though, wrist straps aren't required.

Pesmerga said:
Make sure you're not starting up with dual channel RAM (just take 1 stick out if you're using 2, and make sure the one still left is in the right slot). It's not your CPU, that warning message only says (albiet vaguely) that something is wrong and the CPU couldn't load up all the required peices because one of them is not working properly. My money is that the problem lies in your RAM.
i hope it's not in my RAM, unless DDR2 prices have dropped substantially....:|

alot of times that error can be caused by your heatsink/fan not opperating like they should. Before you go dump a load of cash, do yourself a favor and just pick up a new hs/fan and give it a try. (Couldn't hurt to have a spare anyway)

Also, where the fan plugs into the mb, make sure that it is connected to the proper mb connector. Many times there are more than one fan connector next to each other, and only one is the correct one to use for the hs fan.

Dumb Dude said:
Canned air works just fine. Just make sure you never shake it or spray it tilted. Actually, whichever you perfer. Hardware isn't as sensitive to static as most people say it is, its still harmful, but by no means is a wriststrap a must. Just be careful about liquid, that stuff kills.

Sorry buddy but you are wrong about that..most CPU chips are designed to take around 3 micro volts some even smaller amounts. Static can be anywhere from 100V to 1000V. So it's like a nuclear blast for the chip..static is not something to play around with on computer compnents.

Back