T H E P L A N

Alientank said:
It has to be allowed to authenticate first, which I'm sure they won't allow until the 16th. I highly doubt Valve will let retail copies be activated before steam ones will be.

But why would they not allow it to be authenticated until the 16th? What purpose would that serve, other than to get a whole bunch of "my game isn't working" calls to technical support?

When and where has Valve said that they would release HL2 early under these conditions?

I've only heard Shacknews SPECULATE on it.

No way no release on the 15th... i poked and proded at the eb associates... no go
Nark

Chris_D said:
A game coming out early... wow.

A Valve game coming out early...

/me dies

Don't worry, it could come out tomorrow and still be a year late(!)

But what about the stores that like to open at midnight when the biggest games get released? Either some tired European (or further east) people will be getting pissed with Steam, or some happy americans will come home from school on the 15 to a great suprise ;)

This is how it goes down.

The second some store starts selling it, steam will be unlocked.

Thats because some guy who knows nothing about half life 2 will buy it, get it home, and try to register to play it. Because of this, it has to be unlocked for him and thus everyone. Valve have stated that this is what will happen if a single retail copy is registered from anywhere from right now to the 16th.

So, we pray that a store breaks the date as soon as possible.

denlife7 said:
you speak such bullshit...
I second this...the game did not actually SHIP from rockstar until the 24th..so bah. Maybe someone had the leaked version, not the boxed copy.
nice try tho

urseus said:
The second some store starts selling it, steam will be unlocked. . . Valve have stated that this is what will happen if a single retail copy is registered from anywhere from right now to the 16th.
Valve never said this. Unless you have the elusive direct quote from a reputable that we're all dying to see.

Lets just say every steam user should pray a store breaks the release date as soon as possible.

The first link looks like it's just Shacknews' speculation. As for the second link, who the hell is Steve Gibson anyway? I noticed he didn't appear to answer any follow-up posts asking where he had gotten his information.

I'm still waiting for a "From the offices of Valve" confirmation before I'll be willing to put any stock in this rumor. I hope the rumor is true, but I have my doubts.

Of course, there's also the possibility that Valve won't confirm this even if it is true simply because they won't want to encourage folks to break the street date.

Back