Taking a Sabbatical

You can say that about anything. If this site provides you with a source of entertainment no matter how minute, then why try and get rid of it.

Are you trying to make your life 100% efficient or something? How about you eliminate TV from your life so you could go do something else more "important". OH WAIT, you watch tv because it's entertaining right? Just like HL2.net? See how stupid that sounds?

There's always going to be something else you could be doing but that's no reason to eliminate something - a source of entertainment from your life all together.

I bet you that getting banned from hl2.net won't make a difference at all and you'll ask to be unbanned shortly.

I give Sheepo two weeks, and Kadayi three months.

I love you guys too much to leave. If I ever did, it's not of my choice.

I'm only harassing you about the fact that you have to bar yourself from an internet site to do something better with your time. I do that all the time. I get my ass out of my chair and do it. I hardly have to block/ban myself from it. That's what I'm saying about you. The fact that you HAVE to do that to get around and do those 'more important' things just seems a little....odd.

You can say that about anything. If this site provides you with a source of entertainment no matter how minute, then why try and get rid of it.

Are you trying to make your life 100% efficient or something? How about you eliminate TV from your life so you could go do something else more "important". OH WAIT, you watch tv because it's entertaining right? Just like HL2.net? See how stupid that sounds?

There's always going to be something else you could be doing but that's no reason to eliminate something - a source of entertainment from your life all together.

I bet you that getting banned from hl2.net won't make a difference at all and you'll ask to be unbanned shortly.

Wow, what the hell is the matter with what Sheepo is doing? You're making a big deal out of nothing. Sheepo views hl2.net as something that wastes his time, but he can't quite seem to get rid of it. This 1-year abstinence proclamation is a way for him to be able to zone it out of his life and focus on better things to do. I've had to do it with video games and TV. Because I took those things out of my life for prolonged periods (in fact I'm getting to a point where I'll have to once more), I was able to do stuff that mattered to me. My life was made better.

If your right hand is causing you to sin, cut it off. Why can't you comprehend such a simple concept?

Separate note: this thread has wasted 30 minutes of my time I could have used to pack for my return trip to college tomorrow. I'm sure most of you here have had something more important that needed doing but decided to HL2.net it up anyway.

How is reading a book so much more 'constructive' or better than browsing hl2.net? Can somebody explain this to me?

HL2.net offers social interaction on some form, as well as being a tap into what's going on in the world with news threads, politics threads, game news, music and tv news, and offers a place to discuss all these things and even the occasional intelligent debate.

If you think that doesn't compare to what a book can offer you (what does it offer you really? You can read shit here too, if you're worrying about staying literate) then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

How is reading a book so much more 'constructive' or better than browsing hl2.net? Can somebody explain this to me?

HL2.net offers social interaction on some form, as well as being a tap into what's going on in the world with news threads, politics threads, game news, music and tv news, and offers a place to discuss all these things and even the occasional intelligent debate.

If you think that doesn't compare to what a book can offer you (what does it offer you really? You can read shit here too, if you're worrying about staying literate) then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

This.

Also jet_porkins, I'm not saying what sheepo is doing is wrong, I just don't understand it.

Unless he actually gets no enjoyment from hl2.net and is trying to quit but is addicted to it(kind of like when smokers try to quit), his "sabbatical" is really quite pointless.

I used to do stuff like that on these forums for attention.

Make a thread: "I'm leaving!"
"Oh okay."
:|
"See you!"
:(
"No! Stay!"
:D - "WELL LOOKS LIKE I'M STILL POSTING FOR A FEW MORE MONTHS."

This.

Also jet_porkins, I'm not saying what sheepo is doing is wrong, I just don't understand it.

Unless he actually gets no enjoyment from hl2.net and is trying to quit but is addicted to it(kind of like when smokers try to quit), his "sabbatical" is really quite pointless.

In most cases, any activity that is addictive is going to be an enjoyable activity, whether it's sex, video games, or Facebook. I'm a music major. Practicing my instrument requires as many hours per week as it would many part-time jobs. Failure to do so would result in unsatisfactory grades and performance, and would slap my priorities in the face since it's both something I love doing and something I intend to take up as a career.

Now, there are other variables in my life: relationships, personal devotionals, Xbox, and among other things, Internet community sites (Facebook, HL2.net, etc). If I were to budget my time and record how many hours per week I spend on one of those other variables--say, Xbox--and it turns out that I spent 15 hours in a week playing through Mass Effect, I would interpret that to myself by saying that I should have devoted some of those hours to one of the higher-priority values in my life (such as my girlfriend). And with time at stake, I have to make sure that it doesn't impinge on my music obligations.

I'm willing to bet that many people here spend at least a few hours per week browsing and posting here. The truth is that some people just decide that HL2.net--in all of its vast wisdom and hilarity--isn't worth the time to spend in place of other things that are more productive and, believe it or not, may actually be more personally satisfying.

For some people it means limiting time spent to the activity. For others it means totally cutting themselves off from the activity. If that's something that Sheepo feels is best for him, why degrade him?

Hey jet, what's your first study? Practice is an absolute biatch

The saxophone is my primary. Most of my "legit" studies are on alto sax, while tenor is my jazz horn.

Practice is an absolute biatch. You?

Funnily enough I play jazz Alto! Haha. Yeah, practice plus reed problems are a complete arse. Do you do a lot of classical stuff?

I love what trainwrecks these threads inevitably always wind up in.

I heard this guy called Banimal would've closed this thread about now.

Nah I bet he whould do nothing and just bitch about it. Like that time he sent me a "warning". I mean, the **** is that?

Back