"Tarantino to direct Half-Life movie?" - Gamespot Rumor

Well, a lot of films have been based around a load of marines or whatever going into a post-accident facility. Some of them have even been good. It might work very well to do a film about what happened during one of those accidents, where said facility was full of panicky civilians. I think if you step back from HL and just look at the core concept, it could make a brilliant film, especially since the facility/aliens/universe itself is actually rather well realised compared to say, Resident Pissvile.

Think about it. The first half-hour or 45 minutes follows the day-to-day life of the tightly-wound scientists as tensions rise until the accident - oh shit, weird creatures ripping through reality - and then the subsequent aftermath and escape from the whole thing. It could be great. Witness the recent BBC Chernobyl documentary to see how brilliant, tense and dramatic a simple industrial accident can be.

I doubt the main storyline would work....but what if we followed Barney? The OP4 team? Or some other side character? You could make it work theoretically.

Like I said, if you literally simplified it back to

Lab experiment goes wrong and aliens come through a hole in our dimension. Scientists and security staff try to escape and/or try to stop the chaos. Soon, the military move in, and there's a shady government figure watching everybody, and the aliens start to appear in even more force...

With a cast of interesting, deep, well-acted (not by stars) characters instead of Freeman and just took the whole thing from there...that would be total awesome. Hell, Freeman could still be one of many characters, and maybe he's not the total superman he is in the game. It's just such an interesting thing to make a film about - the sheer chaos of the incident. Entire areas aflame, monsters screaming down narrow passages, red emergency lights and sirens wailing through the smoke and insanity of Black Mesa turned disaster area. hapless scientists try to get away, or fight, or try to stop the chaos but all in vain.

This is an old rumor, and most likely false. However, I'd be damned pleased if it was true.

Sulkdodds said:
Like I said, if you literally simplified it back to

Lab experiment goes wrong and aliens come through a hole in our dimension. Scientists and security staff try to escape and/or try to stop the chaos. Soon, the military move in, and there's a shady government figure watching everybody, and the aliens start to appear in even more force...

With a cast of interesting, deep, well-acted (not by stars) characters instead of Freeman and just took the whole thing from there...that would be total awesome. Hell, Freeman could still be one of many characters, and maybe he's not the total superman he is in the game. It's just such an interesting thing to make a film about - the sheer chaos of the incident. Entire areas aflame, monsters screaming down narrow passages, red emergency lights and sirens wailing through the smoke and insanity of Black Mesa turned disaster area. hapless scientists try to get away, or fight, or try to stop the chaos but all in vain.

Thats an awesome idea. IMO it would be good if they didnt exclusively follow any of the main characters from HL, but rather had them featuring in different parts (the way that Freeman popped up in OP4 occasionally).

Get someone like Ridley Scott (or maybe Wolfgang Peterson, remember the sort of tension he built up in Das Boot) to direct it.....

To me, this is the best way to present Halif-Life the movie:

Open with shots of scientists, civilians, Barney, Kleiner, maybe Eli, each in separate interrogation rooms behind one-way glass. You never see who is conducting the interviews, only hear a distorted voice through an intercom. Each character tells his or her portion of the story, each of which includes more information about Gordon Freeman although he is never seen. At the end of the film reveal that it was the gman conducting the interviews. Make it as creepy as possible and it could work.

edit: the stories would all be just like what sulkdodds described.

05:45 am

That could work. I also like the idea of literally doing it like a documentary, with a voice-over narration, talking heads of survivors like you described and scenes seperated by blank black screens showing the time.

05:53 am

The problem with talking heads is it means you can already see who lived and who died. But maybe you could solve that problem by making them outsiders, experts, commentators, historians or just one main character who tells the story.

06:14 am

Yeah. See, HL could make a brilliant film. Inject it with a heavy dose of realism, of raw tension and panic - make it quite geeky and sciency but still focusing on the individual people in impossible situations, and the way the government betrayed them. Use weird fly-on-the-wall camera angles during the intro and some shaky, you're-right-there-with-a-camerawork after the incident. You could set up a 2-minute continuous shot that follows Freeman from behind as he walks through the whole Anonymous materials laboratory, doing stuff, saying hi to people, going through security doors, listening in on conversations.

what the hell is bogus?
cool. i nearly jumped off my seat when i read that...

hes the last person i would want to direct half-life how bout:

peter jackson
sam raimi
christophe gans
Guillermo del Toro

i think these guys have a better shot...

PEACE
mikey:D

it could be started with like all the soldiers rappeling off of helicopters and being stealthy, radioing each other talking about freeman. and then it cuts to a shot of some one walking down a hall but it would just be legs and part of the hand holding crowbar (queue the music and beggining credits) and then a flash back to the lab incident.

On a side note. Since Xen was probably the most hated level in the HL series and jumping puzzles arn't really going to translate onto film very easily, how would you re-imagine Xen for the movie? Or if you would choose to just remove it, how would you end the story?

I would say that the only essential elements would be the Gonarch, the Controllers and Nihilith. Everything else could be either in a Xen like environement but never alluding to whether or not its giant chunks of rock floating around for no particular reason, that appears to be in space but can support life, etc. Or maybe a full scale Xen invasion where these creatures come to, or are pulled into our universe type of situation.

Or is what I'm describing just as "Gamer Sacrilegious" as making a Doom movie that doesn't involve Hell or demons from Hell?

Hang on if it was executed correctly, Half-Life could make a great film.

I'd love it if they made a Half-Life movie done right. But if they do make a Half-Life movie it will most likely be crap.

Given the option, I would make it real-time in the same manner as 24.

'Cept without the timer popping up.

Doing it all in first person would rock, but Doom already gimmickified that concept.

An HL movie wouldn't work.
Unless it's done by an unknown director and Valve keeps a close watch on how they do it.
Hell, just film someone playing the game.

According to my friend, Uwe Bolle is directing Half-Life Movie.

Actually, he was joking, but I started to believe him for a minute there.

Fliko said:
According to my friend, Uwe Bolle is directing Half-Life Movie.

Actually, he was joking, but I started to believe him for a minute there.

*clutches heart* Don't even joke abou that, man! Uwe Boll is the anti-director!

Unfortunatly, I can see the pre-production discussions now.

Hollywood F**ker #1: OK boys, we need to get the Half-Life project going. What's the status??

Hollywood F**ker #2: Well, here's what we got: One, for the sake of consistency, this movie cannot be anything like the game. That said, two, we've contacted the wizards behind the Doom movie....they're on board with the project. We decided that it would be best to completely ignore the fanbase and expand the "Half-life Universe".

Hollywood F**ker #1: So we're doing away with all of the interesting stuff like the tearing of holes in the space/time continuum and alternate realities/universes being revealed and the existance of a hostile alien race? Am I reading this correctly??

Hollywood F**ker #3: Precisely.

Hollywood F**ker #1: This sounds better by the minute....so where do we go from here?

Hollywood F**ker #2: Well.....after having a little chat with the Doom boys....discussing the setting of the game, the atmosphere...etc, etc...

Hollywood F**ker #1: Go on.....!!!!.....

Hollywood F**ker #3: I have two words for you Hollywood F**ker #1.....Viral Outbreak. Think about it....deep in the desert mountains....secret research is ongoing...unlocking the human genome...but their concoction has gone horribly wrong....instead of the perfect human specimen....horrible monsters....think Resident Evil.....in the desert....

Hollywood F**ker #1: You've outdone yourselves again, Hollywood F**kers. How about production costs? Can we reuse footage from Doom?? And has anyone contacted either The Rock or Vin Deisel about the lead?? This movie will need some serious dialogue from it's lead.....

I'm litteraly angered while typing this, so I'm gonna stop even though I could go on forever. I really hope that Valve has about as much love for their IP as 3DRealms has for the Duke....that said, it should never get made unless it has someone working on it with equal passion for it's success. I'm confident that Valve won't let this scenario play out.

Anyway, although bogus, Tarantino would certainly be an interesting choice. Not my personal first, but still interesting. I've always had two odd, but seemingly fitting choices...in my mind anyway....I'd like to see either Roland Emmerich or Wolfgang Petersen take on this project. After seeing their movies.....they just seem to work.

Lt. Drebin said:
Unfortunatly, I can see the pre-production discussions now.

Hollywood F**ker #1: OK boys, we need to get the Half-Life project going. What's the status??

Hollywood F**ker #2: Well, here's what we got: One, for the sake of consistency, this movie cannot be anything like the game. That said, two, we've contacted the wizards behind the Doom movie....they're on board with the project. We decided that it would be best to completely ignore the fanbase and expand the "Half-life Universe".

Hollywood F**ker #1: So we're doing away with all of the interesting stuff like the tearing of holes in the space/time continuum and alternate realities/universes being revealed and the existance of a hostile alien race? Am I reading this correctly??

Hollywood F**ker #3: Precisely.

Hollywood F**ker #1: This sounds better by the minute....so where do we go from here?

Hollywood F**ker #2: Well.....after having a little chat with the Doom boys....discussing the setting of the game, the atmosphere...etc, etc...

Hollywood F**ker #1: Go on.....!!!!.....

Hollywood F**ker #3: I have two words for you Hollywood F**ker #1.....Viral Outbreak. Think about it....deep in the desert mountains....secret research is ongoing...unlocking the human genome...but their concoction has gone horribly wrong....instead of the perfect human specimen....horrible monsters....think Resident Evil.....in the desert....

Hollywood F**ker #1: You've outdone yourselves again, Hollywood F**kers. How about production costs? Can we reuse footage from Doom?? And has anyone contacted either The Rock or Vin Deisel about the lead?? This movie will need some serious dialogue from it's lead.....

I'm litteraly angered while typing this, so I'm gonna stop even though I could go on forever. I really hope that Valve has about as much love for their IP as 3DRealms has for the Duke....that said, it should never get made unless it has someone working on it with equal passion for it's success. I'm confident that Valve won't let this scenario play out.

Anyway, although bogus, Tarantino would certainly be an interesting choice. Not my personal first, but still interesting. I've always had two odd, but seemingly fitting choices...in my mind anyway....I'd like to see either Roland Emmerich or Wolfgang Petersen take on this project. After seeing their movies.....they just seem to work.

the discution will hav go like this

Hollywood F**ker #3:but what if it dosent sell?

Hollywood F**ker #2:them lets put 50 cent and zxibit whit scalades whit bling rims instead of the security guards,and a hot girl instead of gordon,and gman replaced whit a longdark haired litle girl and make it pg13

Hollywood F**ker #3:gentlemens, we rule!

Back