Team Fortress 2 Update...with hats

Don't even bother talking with him, he's obviously crazy.

Meh, if it stays fun and keeps the variety in the classes, this should be fine.

Meh, not too concerned. The "inventory" looks massive anyway. And **** yes stats reset. **** YES.

I'm pretty sure those have been there since tf2 came out. I think they're just left over from before they took nades out.
Slowtaku said:
documents also list other loadout slots beyond primary, secondary and melee weapons, including an open slot for grenades, PDAs and buildings.
quotechar

Random drops from enemies.
Not confirmed

Helmets have stat bonuses.
Probable but not confirmed.

Weapons have levels...
And we have no idea what the level number represents, the current unlockables have level numbers but they are hardly indicative of how good that weapon is.

..with stat bonuses.
And probably reasonable tradeoffs. Just like the unlockables we have now, although probably on a larger scale.
There is a common theme to what I'm saying, we barely know anything.
I'm worried about balancing too but I'm not jumping off the deep end until I know more.

What you should all be talking about is this:

1240330886130.png
No proof that grenades will be available outside of the Demoman.

That grenade...well. I hope you enjoyed whatever balance you had in TF2, because it's over now.
Riiight because even if it was implemented it would be implemented in exactly the same way, right?

There are things in the gcfs that talk about said stat bonuses. When the random drops are confirmed, what are you going to say? "I trust in Valve?" "I'm sure it'll be alright?"

And we have no idea what the level number represents, the current unlockables have level numbers but they are hardly indicative of how good that weapon is.

And probably reasonable tradeoffs.
You know what's more upsetting is they can't even fix the current balance. They're already jumping to other things in order to keep the game "fresh," but really we've got a bunch of classes without their secondary unlocks thus far, we've got classes that still have issues, but they're going off and turning a lighthearted FPS into even more of a grind, plus randomization of weaponry. A backpack? Weapons that have tradeoffs? Yeah, the tradeoffs will be things like less damage for more ammo, or something like that. Because really, what more can you do with weapon bonuses? That's what it's going to be.

No proof that grenades will be available outside of the Demoman.
Better hope so, man. Better hope so.

Riiight because even if it was implemented it would be implemented in exactly the same way, right?
A frag grenade explodes, son. That's what it does, except on TFC's birthday and Christmas (kudos if you get that). At all other times, a frag grenade explodes. You throw it and it goes BOOM and damages the enemy.

And it doesn't even have to damage them a lot. In fact let's assume it just goes boom and pushes the enemy around with concussive force. That's the linchpin of the scissor--it isn't the damage it deals, it's the fact that it's gonna knock you around in one direction with a rocket coming from the other. You're stuck. You can't do anything against it. Nearly a decade of mulch_dm has proven this. It's the devil of all techniques.

Let's assume that it's implemented in a way like was shown in the early TF2 trailer, where the grenade is a selectable weapon (remember the demoman swinging the dynamite?) instead of something you can lob whilst holding another weapon. Ok, so you use Q to switch between grenade and RPG. Prime grenade, throw, quickswitch, kaboom, CRIT RAWKET.

You remember before TF2 came out and every TFC-player was crying about no grenades? Psst...all those people were soldiers. ;) If we get our grenade back, it's over for everybody. Better hope those grenades are demoman-specific, or that the soldier ends up getting the bear trap or something. Because otherwise TF2's gonna look like the OGL Soldier league all over again. ROCKET GRENADE ROCKET GRENADE ROCKET GRENADE

MAGGOTS

ITT: Darkside overreacts. I honestly thought it was Hool for the longest time, who had gotten Darkside's password!

Man, if you ask me, everyone else is underreacting. I guess that's why Valve actually doesn't give a shit what they do, because their fans are apathetic and put their complete faith in them. News gets released that there's going to be some wild changes to TF2, here's the breakdown:

HL2.net:
Let's not jump to conclusions, guys! Valve's never let us down before! I bet they'll keep the balance and everything will make TF2 even better!

Kotaku:
This could be good or it could be bad. I don't like the idea of grenades, and some of the other things sound iffy, but it we'll see.

ForumPlanet:
Why the hell would they include a delete feature? Lol hats! Maybe the heavy will get some hair? :) :LOL: :p

FPS Banana:
Woot scout gets batter helmet!

Steampowered:
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Guise will the spy be able to wear a hat with a disguise on?

Meanwhile at Valve HQ:
Gabe eats a burger.

I'm just letting you guys know, forget all about the hats, all about the backpacks, all about the bonuses. If that grenade gets into the soldier's hands balance IS out the window. It's no skin off my nose; I play soldier. And what have I been saying since...wow has it already been almost two years? Anyway, what'd I say in 2007? "No grenades? There goes the soldier's strongest attribute." And it was true. For nearly two years the game has enjoyed a balance. The soldier's a formidable class, sure, but he's not game-breaking. He has his strengths and his weaknesses.

Put that frag grenade in his hands and balance goes right out the window. You will see the most marked division of skill ever between low-level players who just pick up and play soldier because it's considered "easy mode" class in this game and people who used to play soldier in TFC. That grenade goes back into our hands and it's like shutdown2 all over again.

Oh shit, vague speculation about something, and if we interpret or manage to guess those murky signs correctly it means it might be something that, if poorly executed, would be terrible to play. Shame on you Valve!

See, why can't you all learn from PvtRyan? That's how you're supposed to be! STOP SUCKING VALVE

Darkside, you should stop shooting heroin while posting.

No can do, my furry friend. I have to be the voice of dissent. In a world where everyone else sucks the penis that Gabe Newell cannot find, only Darkside will say, "Put grenades in a soldier's hands and it's b3yond.avi all over again. This ain't no technological breakdown. This is the road to hell."

Over at the steam forum people are talking about World of Team Fortress (WTF). At first I thought it was just some stupid joke meme and people making stuff in Photoshop- now I'm not so sure. WTF is right.

What ever happened to keeping things simple- where it was easy to see what a class was, and what weapon they're holding? What happened to every class being unique?- If there are random weapon modifiers, there's a chance that one classes' weapons will behave pretty much like another's.

Valve have been pretty good to now, but I'm not sure that they're still on the ball. Hopefully we'll get a blog update that will clear this up in a way that is sensible and good.

No can do, my furry friend. I have to be the voice of dissent. In a world where everyone else sucks the penis that Gabe Newell cannot find, only Darkside will say, "Put grenades in a soldier's hands and it's b3yond.avi all over again. This ain't no technological breakdown. This is the road to hell."

I wish I could punch you in the face, so you can stop whining like a little girl.

If there are random weapon modifiers, there's a chance that one classes' weapons will behave pretty much like another's.

Not really. Just that the particular weapon you're using will have modified stats. More than likely it's going to be things like "more ammo, less damage," along those lines. Looking at it that way, there's no chance one weapon will behave like another. You can look at it more like if you're a pyro carrying one kind of flamethrower, it might be superior to another pyro's flamethrower in one way, but inferior in another way.

You could certainly call that "balance."

Barnz, my internet tough guy friend, I really wish you could try.

Besides, it's everyone else who should be whining. I play soldier, maget. This would actually benefit me and give me an unreasonable edge. I'm actually arguing in spite of something that would help ME out.

This would actually benefit me and give me an unreasonable edge. I'm actually arguing in spite of something that would help ME out.
Key words.
You have no idea if those grenades are going to be there and if they are, you have no idea how are they gonna work. You think Valve spend those two years balancing the gameplay only to blow it up by single update?

Possible but not probable. We'll just have to wait and see.

this thread (SPUF) makes a lot of sense, and things don't sound so bad- but again, we'll just have to wait and see how it actually all pans out.

Boddah said:
You have no idea if those grenades are going to be there and if they are, you have no idea how are they gonna work.

Have I not been saying "if?" If if if. It's a word that means, "in the case of;" as in, if it occurs like this. I'm saying IF a grenade behaves the way it did, and IF soldiers get grenades.

Maybe we won't get grenades at all.

Maybe nobody will get grenades and Valve will be like "lol we trol u. Have another map made by the community."

I'm saying if. It's worth voicing my opinion in opposition to grenades even if we don't know that that's the case. Seriously what else are we going to do in the interim if not discuss what could happen?

You think Valve spend those two years balancing the gameplay only to blow it up by single update?
"So, this TFC thing's really great. It's been losing to Counter-Strike, but it's still a pretty good game with a lot of diehard fans. Even after several years, the game's still a draw. We've reached a point where there isn't a lot of balance, but all the classes are very well defined and each has their role in the game. People have been playing this way for years and everyone's happy about it. There's never been a word of dissent otherwise.

So let's go in and throw in teleporters. Also do you gamers like Ravelin.bsp? We think it's a wonderful map. No, that's it for this update. And also this is probably the last update you'll ever get. Enjoy your teleporters that throw a wrench in the dynamic of the existing game."

In a single update, the balance that had been carved in TFC was changed. For awhile servers and leagues were even considering banning the use of the teleporter. Valve's not infallible, you know.

And you know, this is the exact same thing that happened last time. Bunch of people yelling that Valve had broken the game. Somewhere along the line though, I guess people stopped caring.

Dark, if only all your posting meant you were playing again. :sadface:

Hopefully we won't have people running around in silly hats, but you can never change stupidity.

I see this as a could be good / could be bad.
Just have to wait and see.

OH COME ON! They will ruin the ****ing game! Hats ? OK , but a backpack? That is just ****ing stupid.It's a Team Fortress 2 not World of Warcraft FFS

barbarbar seems to think this is a bad idea, so obviously there is still reason to be optimistic.

Darkside, I know what you speak of.
The people here have apparently been away from tfc for too long to understand that the grenade will be the balance's death. For now, just let the inevitable "I told you so" rights give you comfort.

The backpack better be like BackPack in Dora the Explorer, I want a singing backpack while I'm burning my enemies alive

I'm awaiting further announcements with antipation.

Back