Tech demo for [unannounced]

That was awesome, keep up the good work.

*Two thumbs up*

Pi Mu Rho said:
Technically, I'm under an NDA or 3, so I can't really say.

You crafty swine :D

Since Source was just a placeholder at the time I'd say the gameplay aspect looks like it has serious potential.

Wow look great. Im having a feeling your game is going to be insane.

I know it's just a tech demo but I dont understand how the fps portion will be compelling, it seems as if ordering your armored vehicle squad around would be more of a focus, thus limiting the need to be on foot ...which could be intentional. Pretty freakin impressive nonetheless. definately a great leap in terms of gameplay. :thumbs:

keep us informed

There's actually a bit of a crossover going on in that demo, which I shall endeavour to explain.

One side uses entirely remote-controlled vehicles (such as the ones in the demo)
The other side uses more conventional military hardware, and that's the side that you play on.

The main focus is FPS run'n'gun, but the option is (usually) always there to do a bit of RTSing via a fairly typical overhead view (in addition to being able to do it in first-person, albeit in a slightly more limited way).

Basically, each mission will provide you with an objective - it's up to you how you achieve it. You could opt to sit back in safety while you attack the enemy with tanks, or you could be up-front, stealthing around to take out the base from inside.

There's a lot more to it than that (the differences between the two sides plays a major role), but the idea is to have it as open-ended as it can be.

At the moment, we're concentrating mainly on the multiplayer aspect. The single-player will then be built on top of that. Traditionally, it's the other way round, but there is method in our madness :)

Haha. Cool.

We finally get to see a bit of the legendary Manhatten Project of FPS games.

It actually looks real nice.

It looks better now, believe me. That demo was recorded on February 13th. A lot has changed since then :)

I'm based in the UK. (Nearly) everyone else is in the US - the studio is in LA.

Demolition man said:
And that company is called Petroglyph...? :p

Nope. Petroglyph are based in Las Vegas.

Pi Mu Rho said:
I'm based in the UK. (Nearly) everyone else is in the US - the studio is in LA.

You should get yourself over to LA! I know I would.

Looks extremely great! I've always wanted a decent FPS - RTS game (clicky!), and this looks like it could be it. Too bad it's not going to be ready for a looooooooooooong time :)

Actually I'm glad it won't be out for a while...that will give me time to get the money for a new comp so I will be able to play it. :D

Pi Mu Rho said:
Traditionally, it's the other way round, but there is method in our madness :)

i always knew u were mad...now i can relax since u admitted it :p
anyway haven't checked out the video but i will later...from all the things i've read here, it looks promising :thumbs:

Why is everyone impressed by the demo so much? What Pi has explained sounds great, and worthy of being impressed, but the demo really didn't show anything about the game, all it showed was that buildings can be destroyed.

It was more to show the RTS-style vehicle controls, from a first-person view.

There's a counterpart video showing the overhead RTS-style interface, but I can't release that one (it contains too much stuff that we're still using)

I wish I could show some of the current tech - dropships swooping in to deliver vehicles, troops running around, big firefights, showstopping bugs, AI problems...

When do you think you and your company will be giving out info about the game as a whole?

I wish I knew. There's still a lot up in the air at the moment (some of which I'm distinctly unhappy about). I'll keep dropping hints though :)

Pi Mu Rho said:
It was more to show the RTS-style vehicle controls, from a first-person view.

There's a counterpart video showing the overhead RTS-style interface, but I can't release that one (it contains too much stuff that we're still using)

I wish I could show some of the current tech - dropships swooping in to deliver vehicles, troops running around, big firefights, showstopping bugs, AI problems...
So someone else was controlling the vehicles?

No, I was controlling them in that video. The overlays weren't recorded as part of the demo (deliberately), but there's a menu that allows you to control a vehicle (select and aim). It sucked, frankly. It started off similar to the HL2 NPC control, but got horribly overcomplicated.

The overhead video is the same scenario, but played out differently. The player is crouched behind a wall, controlling the vehicles in an entirely RTS style.

Pi Mu Rho said:
No, I was controlling them in that video. The overlays weren't recorded as part of the demo (deliberately), but there's a menu that allows you to control a vehicle (select and aim). It sucked, frankly. It started off similar to the HL2 NPC control, but got horribly overcomplicated.

The overhead video is the same scenario, but played out differently. The player is crouched behind a wall, controlling the vehicles in an entirely RTS style.
Ah that is pretty cool, so is the multiplayer kind of like Natural Selection or Savage?

Not having played either, I couldn't say.

In MP, the focus is a bit more on action. There's a commander that's in charge of base building, income and defence. They also relay information to the other players and control the superweapons.
Everyone else goes round as infantry or vehicles, attempting to ultimately destroy the enemy base.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Not having played either, I couldn't say.

In MP, the focus is a bit more on action. There's a commander that's in charge of base building, income and defence. They also relay information to the other players and control the superweapons.
Everyone else goes round as infantry or vehicles, attempting to ultimately destroy the enemy base.

I just pissed my pants!

Foxtrot said:
There are a couple games out like this already.

Yeah but how many are decent :p

And how many are on the UE3 engine :p

I remember battlezone... that was too far ahead of its time to catch on in my opinion. Pity...

Foxtrot said:
There are a couple games out like this already.

C&C Renegade = Could have been insane but was CRAP
Natural Selection = Was good for a mod, but i didnt like anything about it.
Savage = Looks dumb. I dont want to fight some animals with bows im sry.

So anymore?

Raziel-Jcd said:
So anymore?

Several people involved in this worked on Renegade.

The phrase "Renegade Done Right" has been seen a few times.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Natural Selection = Was good for a mod, but i didnt like anything about it.
Savage = Looks dumb. I dont want to fight some animals with bows im sry.

So anymore?
Savage is great, you should try it, the fighting system is more complex than you would think.

Besides what makes this game any different? Very little media, small development team (I am guessing), and development team no one has heard of.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Several people involved in this worked on Renegade.

The phrase "Renegade Done Right" has been seen a few times.

That was the 1st comment i saw on your game. Thats when i went insane about the idea!

Foxtrot said:
Savage is great, you should try it, the fighting system is more complex than you would think.

Besides what makes this game any different? Very little media, small development team (I am guessing), and development team no one has heard of.

What makes Half-Life different to Quake? What makes C&C different to Warcraft?

What makes it different is the featureset we have, and the way we implement it.
As for the development team, they've all got AAA titles to their names.

Why not reserve judgement until the game is released? I posted this video for those people that were already interested in it. I'm not going to provide an exhaustive list of what is and isn't in it compared to other games.

Pi Mu Rho said:
What makes Half-Life different to Quake? What makes C&C different to Warcraft?

What makes it different is the featureset we have, and the way we implement it.
As for the development team, they've all got AAA titles to their names.

Why not reserve judgement until the game is released? I posted this video for those people that were already interested in it. I'm not going to provide an exhaustive list of what is and isn't in it compared to other games.
I am just saying, with what has been provided there is no real reason to get uber-excited about it when there are already games out like that, that most people either haven't heard of or haven't played. The games sounds good, but there is really nothing out to judge it by yet. And just because there are some good developers on the team doesn't make it any different, the game probably won't be widely known unless it does really good and after release.

We're well aware of that. As I said, I posted this because:

a) Various people on these forums wanted information on the game
b) It's effectively "declassified" now that we've switched engines and after I removed the "secret" parts.

If people want to get excited about it, let them.

So what were the limitations of the Source engine that made you decide to use a new one? I assume it wasn't just graphics. Maybe map sizes, AI, vehicles?

Back