techno music and HL2...good or bad?

I think the music fits the game. But much like its predecessor, you can replace HL2's music with any CD music (I once played part of HL with Quake 1 tunes... interestingly ambient).

It'd be interesting to try a score from a movie into HL.

Tool should do some HL2 songs, I would love to see The Grudge as the music once you beat the game and all the credits start rolling down.

I can't say I'm a fan of techno, and like HL1, I'll be playing with the music off. It's more immersive that way in my opinion. If it had a dark, moody orchestral\choral soundtrack though, I'd have it on... provided it was any good.

gatts666 said:
Well i hope they dont do like they did to the matrix the first one lol, or any of em, music was gay.

altho the ONLY kick ass music part was in matrix 2, right before the HIGHWAY scene. NO NOT THE HIGH WAY SCENE just right before they get to it, when the car comes out of the garage when they fight the twins, NOW THAT i hope hl2 music is like, once it geared on the highway the music changed and turned to CRAP.
bleh anyways i dint like hl1 music either u know when u get at start your HEV SUITE then this RETARDED beat starts playing lol

god i found that to be the most gaylord of gayness gayed music.

gayed.
im out
I think Matrix had great musics. I think they were the kind of orchestrated music should be. Except that lobby scene. That music sucked balls.. I think the other Matrix movies were crappy hollywood flicks.. The first one was fantastic.

I loved the HL musics. And I think you are the "RETARDED" one..

Senny said:
menu screen of Doom 3?

menu screen music in doom3? MENU MUSIC IN DOOM3!!?!?!

that was the best part of the game :D:D

its a remixed version of lateralus by tool, by the way incase anyone wants to know

neptuneuk said:
its a remixed version of lateralus by tool, by the way incase anyone wants to know

Don't lie. :p

It was a song done by Tweaker, or Chris Vrenna, an ex-drummer for Nine Inch Nails. It just has a guitar riff that sounds like the one from lateralus.

shaggy2039 said:
I was watching some of the binks yesterday and was thinking that I'm not really into the whole techno, drum and bass feel to the music in HL2...I really like the scenes when there's little or no music, but couldn't help wondering why Valve didn't go with a more cinematic score for the game...something with strings and orchestration to give the game an even more immersive feel to it's cinematic feel...any thoughts on this?

I think the soundtrack fits perfectly. HL2 has an "industrial" feel to it due to the setting.

I'm not going to read the thread, but I suspect that more than one person is going to say that Linkin Park would be the perfect soundtrack to Half-Life 2.

Cybernoid said:
I'm not going to read the thread, but I suspect that more than one person is going to say that Linkin Park would be the perfect soundtrack to Half-Life 2.

You don't really high hopes for the human race, do you? :p

Da Dude said:
well HL2 is a SF game... most SF movies have techno/house/whatever...
so i think the choice was made...

Real science fiction movies don't use techno or... house? I'm not sure any movie uses a house soundtrack. 2001, Blade Runner or Solaris don't have anything even remotely close to techno.

chimpmunk said:
Techno music is made by and for overweight asian kids who still play starcraft... retards...
I want something more hardcore.

I'll give you a cookie if you remove yourself from the gene pool.

KagePrototype said:
You don't really high hopes for the human race, do you? :p

No. I did read the thread and no one mentioned any Top 40 bands. Whew!

And finally: electronic != techno ffs! Get it in your head.

I personally feel it has an autechre-ish sound to it. It's more organic sounding, instead of all out machine, but there's definately something mechanical about it. Like Absinthe, I feel Richard James wouldn't be the wisest choice for HL2's score. I do love his music though. I'm big on electronic, especially IDM, and I absolutely love HL2's music.

Cybernoid, I give up trying to make people understand that electronic is not techno. =/ Most people think rave/house techno when you tell them you listen to electronic... bleh

Don't lie.

It was a song done by Tweaker, or Chris Vrenna, an ex-drummer for Nine Inch Nails. It just has a guitar riff that sounds like the one from lateralus.

No.. it's Tool.. :p
Chris Vrenna made some of the Ambinent sounds beacuse trent reznor had a money problem of some sort.. but you can still hear some of trents sounds/loops in the game.. :)

She said:
No.. it's Tool.. :p

Nope. Tweaker performed the song at QuakeCon, because Chris Vrenna did it. :p I know it sounds like Tool, but it isn't. Chris Vrenna did some of the sounds as well, but I KNOW for a fact he did the theme.

Nope. Tweaker performed the song at QuakeCon, because Chris Vrenna did it. I know it sounds like Tool, but it isn't. Chris Vrenna did some of the sounds as well, but I KNOW for a fact he did the theme.

Then why did John carmac say that it was tool who did make the title track?.. oh.. ok anyway.. it's sounds like tool.. rippoff then.

She said:
Then why did John carmac say that it was tool who did make the title track?.. oh.. ok anyway.. it's sounds like tool.. rippoff then.

John Carmack never said it was Tool, it was widly publicised as Chris Vrenna a.k.a. Tweaker was who did the theme song. You may have heard a rumour from someone who thought it was Tool upon hearing it (which many of us did).

shaggy2039 said:
I'm saying I like the ambient music too, but the the techno thing makes it look kind of cheesy to me...it's going to date alot faster too because of the fact that techno in general is a very trendy form of music...
techno's only been around for about 30 years... + I've never heard techno being used in any BINK/Movie or whatever HL2 moving media.
Fact is, most you guys dont actually know what techno is, and i can assure you, what you're hearing is not techno. It's electronical music, but that doesnt mean it's techno.

Back