that barnacle pic

chriso20

Reaction score
I know its just concept art but;

Don't you think hl1's barnacles were too easy to miss, and they only got u when u were backing up in a fight?

I think hl2's barnacles (if there is ne) should lash around trying to get you. that'd be good. :)

chriso20 said:

Don't you think hl1's barnacles were too easy to miss, and they only got u when u were backing up in a fight?

I think hl2's barnacles (if there is ne) should lash around trying to get you. that'd be good. :)

Well, actually, Barnacles in HL1 had an idle animation where the tentacle moved around a bit. It wasn't really much, but it was something. Though I agree that Barnacles, upon hearing something nearby, should try and get you. Like those tentacle monsters in Blast Pit.

It should have a special introduction where it appears to behave exactly like the old barnacle, just hanging limply. Then as the player walks past it should suddenly lash out, ensnaring him.

Indeed.. I hope the barnacles are more challenging in HL2 but I don't care much if they are not =p I just felt that in HL1 they were more like a nuisance(sp?) than a threat.

When I first started playing Half-Life, the barnacle was the scariest alien to me. A dark room, a medpack on the floor, and a rope hanging next to it. :)

Theres no reason at all why they could'nt do this, and it would be very cool, haveing those things lashing out at you, you would have to dodge it.

I dont think they will do that, but I think it would be really cool, in the words of valve "Its easy to mod in"

i remember half-life was my first fps. when i came to the part near the beginning where the small bridge over the water is retracted, and there are a bunch of barnacles hanging in between the 2 ledges. not knowing that i had to go down through the water, i figured the barnacle tongues were ropes. an innocent assumption. as soon as i jumped to the first "rope" something went terribly wrong. i was being pulled swiftly towards a disgusting creature clinging to the ceiling. needless to say, i was scared half to death. and theres my story about why i think barnacles are cool enemies.

I hope they can move slightly, but a barnacle just isn't the same without being a mostly motionless surprise. They were like those flytrap plants.

Turning them into whipping tentacles would make them exactly the same as the hydras, only on the roof.

Heheh, I can imagine them being in all the dark places in HL2... just sitting waiting for you.....

I too dont want them to move much... Maybe a little..

I am guessing the tenticle thing will be very hard to spot. :)

Barnacles are a great, disgusting enemy. I can't wait to see a source-ified version of them. Making them more menacing and active would be nice...HL2 already has more than its fair share of "nuisance" enemies (headcrab type 1, headcrab type 2, poison headcrab, rollermines, mahnhacks, zombies, etc.) (BTW: Nuisance enemies = those that pose no real threat/challenge but force you to deal with them anyway).

Democritus said:
Barnacles are a great, disgusting enemy. I can't wait to see a source-ified version of them. Making them more menacing and active would be nice...HL2 already has more than its fair share of "nuisance" enemies (headcrab type 1, headcrab type 2, poison headcrab, rollermines, mahnhacks, zombies, etc.) (BTW: Nuisance enemies = those that pose no real threat/challenge but force you to deal with them anyway).

yea i love that kind of enemys too! :E

Democritus said:

I think the manhacks can be quite threatening.

Imagine opening a closet or door or something in a dark room and 10 of them come at you! :)

Maybe make 1 out 10 barnacles able to lash out. But give it a slightly more menacing appearance.

First time I ever saw a barnacle (or rather its tentacle) I thought it was a rope or something. Surprised the hell out of me when I suddenly started to rise into the air. I loved how they used it as a grappling hook in Opposing Force.

Hmmm, a hydra-type barnacle.... Ima gonna vote for that!:thumbs: That would be so cool. Instead of a venus flytrap with a tentacle...

subtlesnake said:
It should have a special introduction where it appears to behave exactly like the old barnacle, just hanging limply. Then as the player walks past it should suddenly lash out, ensnaring him.
Well, even if they do, all you have to do is wait, then smack them with the crowbar when you're close enough. In a way I kind of hope you don't otherwise you'll spend a lot of pistol ammo picking them off before you get too close, which is dull. Perhaps they should strangle you a little too, so you still lose some health.
Judging by that pic, however, the new model looks repulsive, in a good way. How do they get onto the celings in the first place?

http://www.half-life2.com/secret/Barnacle.jpg

el Chi said:
Well, even if they do, all you have to do is wait, then smack them with the crowbar when you're close enough. In a way I kind of hope you don't otherwise you'll spend a lot of pistol ammo picking them off before you get too close, which is dull. Perhaps they should strangle you a little too, so you still lose some health.
But what if only a few were able to lash out? That way you could still ignore the ordinary barnacles. The 'special' barnacles would look particularly nasty, and would yank the player up much, much faster.

kaf11 said:
i remember half-life was my first fps. when i came to the part near the beginning where the small bridge over the water is retracted, and there are a bunch of barnacles hanging in between the 2 ledges. not knowing that i had to go down through the water, i figured the barnacle tongues were ropes. an innocent assumption. as soon as i jumped to the first "rope" something went terribly wrong. i was being pulled swiftly towards a disgusting creature clinging to the ceiling. needless to say, i was scared half to death. and theres my story about why i think barnacles are cool enemies.

Awesome. I had a different introduction to barnacles. I was actually running away from an enemy when I inadvertantly ran into their sticky tongues, fortunately I had my crowbar ready. :p

Annihilator_91 said:
Manipulate? How? :dork:

With the manipulator gun, of course. You can use them like buzz saws. Then you can shoot them at enemies, not unlike how Gordon uses the circular saw blades in the Ravenholm videos.

:O Uh oh, this thread is asking for delays! Maybe the guys at Valve are going to see this thread and be like, "Hey, barnacles that lash out at the player, good idea... we've got to add that in!"

That would be pretty neat though if the Barnacles in Half Life 2 do this.

The pic just proves how much of a noob Gordon really is, seriously, he couldn't even avoid a damn Barnable? Just goes to show that gamers are on the higher end of the food-chain...

(Kidding)

:rolling:

ahaha i loved watching the enemy getting pulled into the barnicle

I want barnicles that lay their tongue(?) across the floor, it'd be much harder to spot that way.

Bobcat said:
The pic just proves how much of a noob Gordon really is, seriously, he couldn't even avoid a damn Barnable? Just goes to show that gamers are on the higher end of the food-chain...

(Kidding)

:rolling:

Those damn barnables are a tricky breed.

Anyways, back to talking about the barnacle picture.......

Or occasional barnacles hidden behind beams or arches with the tentacle retracted until you walk below it.

I think I prefer Barnicles as they are. If placed tactically, they can be a right nuisance and if you're caught unawares, your hesitation can prove fatal.

Valve know what they are doing. Nothing can be more humbling then getting killed by a non-moving enemy.

I think it would be cool if they could creep/ooze slowly along the ceiling. Not nearly fast enough to catch you, but just slowly so they could change positions. Would really bring them to life for me.

There is video footage of an aqua tentacle in one of the videos. Alyx is standing by a fence and a combine is suddenly impaled by a blue tentacle. I am not sure what video but it sure looked realistc.

First time I ever saw a barnacle (or rather its tentacle) I thought it was a rope or something. Surprised the hell out of me when I suddenly started to rise into the air. I loved how they used it as a grappling hook in Opposing Force.

lol, the first time was the best

Walked right into it and started rising up. I thought it was just a game feature that it automatically climbed ropes, and suddenly I looked up and I saw it. "WTF??? AAAAAAAAAH"
*gibs rain down on the floor*

Neutrino said:
I think it would be cool if they could creep/ooze slowly along the ceiling. Not nearly fast enough to catch you, but just slowly so they could change positions. Would really bring them to life for me.
That would be very creepy.. I can imagine the scene, crouching in a corridor, empty when you walked through it, while you were there at the end waiting for some combine to get past, your about to set off then hear a little noise behind, turn around and its almost on top of you, you panic and move back, out of the corridor and fall down some stairs right behind the convoy of combine, getting nervous incase they heard you, you move quickly and quietly behind some boxes while a couple think they heard something, come to look, and the barnacle gets one of them instead, giving you the distraction you need to get away unseen.

Yup.. I think its a good idea Neutrino :)

i think barnacles shoud be sound sensitive, so if you run past them on a metal grating they would lash out and gollup you up, but if you were to belly crawl past one on carpet it wouldn't care, the louder you were the fiecer the barnacle

chriso20 said:

I think thats a very cool idea. I agree.

It would be cool to have 2 barnacles grab you at the same time, so they have a tug-of-war over you until one gets ripped off the ceiling or its tongue breaks... or something.

Back