that barnacle pic

ElFuhrer said:
It would be cool to have 2 barnacles grab you at the same time, so they have a tug-of-war over you until one gets ripped off the ceiling or its tongue breaks... or something.

likely that you would be ripped in half first

Head_Crab_04 said:
There is video footage of an aqua tentacle in one of the videos. Alyx is standing by a fence and a combine is suddenly impaled by a blue tentacle. I am not sure what video but it sure looked realistc.

That creature is actually called a "Hydra", similiar to the ones in teh missle silo in HL1.

Biozeminade said:
When I first started playing Half-Life, the barnacle was the scariest alien to me. A dark room, a medpack on the floor, and a rope hanging next to it. :)

Me too. The ones that busted through the ceiling tiles to get you were especially scary.

They are kind of easy to bypass once you know what to look for, but the first time it was classic.

Barnacles and the huge spiders from System Shock 2 scared the sh*t out of me when I first played the games.

Imagine if two barnacle tentacles touched and grabbed the other and they had a tug-o-war until the strongest finally ripped the other off its spot and retracted its tentacle until....

barnacle giblets rain down....

and Gordon slips past while they busily battle

Is it just me or is anyone else amazed at the detail put into the secret barnacle picture. you can even see the slime coming off the barnacle strand/tongue thingy. Kinda reminds me of the facehugger strangulation tail.

denlife7 said:
Imagine if two barnacle tentacles touched and grabbed the other and they had a tug-o-war until the strongest finally ripped the other off its spot and retracted its tentacle until....

barnacle giblets rain down....

and Gordon slips past while they busily battle

hmm sounds like a good hentai, it just needs gordon in the middle

I remember my first time...

It was in the first part where the bridge is gone and there is a bullsquid killing some headcrabs, and over that little river there is a bunch of them, almost like kaf11 said, I jumped to try to swing over and I started getting pulled up, I was freaking out so I emptied my 9mm into the thing but I was pretty high up, so when he let go, I got like 20 dmg or so, then the bullsquid accross the river spit the acid at me and I jumped out of the way right into another waiting tongue, once again, started shooting frantically scared shitless and he let go when I was way up in the air, I fell and died ;(

My first encounter with a barnacle was at that part too...

I knew some were aliens but for some reason I thought one was different, I was an uber-noob at the time so I thought it was auto-climb and i frantically pressed space bar till I started takeing damage... :(

DAMN BARNACLES!

Ch1cKeN said:
Is it just me or is anyone else amazed at the detail put into the secret barnacle picture. you can even see the slime coming off the barnacle strand/tongue thingy. Kinda reminds me of the facehugger strangulation tail.

I remember that some preview mentioned that the in-game model of the barnacle will also have gloss (like the headcrabs on the zombies) to create the "slime" effect. Can't wait to see that stuff! :D

I always loved making marines walk into barnacles. There aren't many places where you can do that though, so I rarely manage it. :/

lans said:
I remember that some preview mentioned that the in-game model of the barnacle will also have gloss (like the headcrabs on the zombies) to create the "slime" effect. Can't wait to see that stuff! :D

Don't forget the, and I quote, "Eerily-pulsating sacs around their bases"...

The Barnacles was made so they user wouldt rush thru the game without looking around. So they made the Barnacle who made the user be more carefull and slow down...i remember Gabe said this in a interview once..

What would be an awesome intro for the barnacle would be, if a head crab comes out of no where and before you get chance to react jumps at you straight into the steathily waiting tongue of a barnacle. You just sit there shitting yourself watching yellowy giblets raining down the screen.

To this day, barnacles still freak me out when I inadvertently walk into a tongue. I dunno why, maybe it's that slurpy sound, or the fact that you can't move... freaky stuff.

I always thought a fun level would be to have a completely dark room with only your flash light. You would have no weapons and then all of a sudden a bunch of barnacles break through the ceiling, and their tentacles are everywhere. So you would have to navigate around them, with no weapons to kill them, and a single flashlight to see where you are going.

Back