That DoD:Source video is really dissapointing =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

THUGENSTEIN

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the ragdolls I wouldn't even believe that it was source, the game looks EXACTLY the same as the first. The levels are exact ports with just some rope hanging here and there and maybe alittle background eye candy. The models are exactly the same both player and weapons. I can't believe Valve is actually thinking that people will PAY money for this when they can play it for free on the HL1 engine. Barely any difference, dissapointing ;(

Do you think that from a late beta to the final they will actually make and replace all weapon models and player models and all the maps? doubtfull.

give it time man....give it time....good things shall come. do not fear.

THUGENSTEIN said:
If it wasn't for the ragdolls I wouldn't even believe that it was source, the game looks EXACTLY the same as the first. The levels are exact ports with just some rope hanging here and there and maybe alittle background eye candy. The models are exactly the same both player and weapons. I can't believe Valve is actually thinking that people will PAY money for this when they can play it for free on the HL1 engine. Barely any difference, dissapointing ;(
Thats because its a 95% port.

the maps look exactly the same to you? im sorry but you must be crazy

The maps are not that bad, IMO but I agree the the models are quite....polygonal :p

The difference in those pics are like night and day.

Are you blind, or just a rabid CS fanboy determined to put down DoD Source every chance you get?

I'm just curious.

And the models will be updated, jesus, why would they make the maps looks so nice and then leave the models half-assed? I honestly believe that's not going to be the case.

Yes, the difference between the nice high poly rubble walls is minimal compared to the 5 brushes stacked on top of eachother in the old DoD... :rolleyes:

I was saying it looks exactly like the first HL1 engine version, thanks for posting the pics to back up my point, that first one especially really shows what im talking about. Straight up HL1 status. Should see what the new Train man looks like on CS, wooowee thats nice.

Oh wait, I misread you, you're right. The first really does look like HL1. But then again, that could have been caused by the fact that is IS HL1.

What kind of dumbass is this topic starter? The video's look great and he knows it..if you can't see all the differences you must be blind from playing to much cs.

THUGENSTEIN said:
I was saying it looks exactly like the first HL1 engine version, thanks for posting the pics to back up my point, that first one especially really shows what im talking about. Straight up HL1 status. Should see what the new Train man looks like on CS, wooowee thats nice.

This shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about .. omfg.

Xenome said:
What kind of dumbass is this topic starter?
Well :LOL:

There are varying degrees of dumbasses. Not everyone has great vision and can't see all the details. Clearly Dod:S is a huge step up from Dod 1.3 and if you can't see that, off to the optometrist you go!

Well, lets just see the final version then we judge if its okay or not.

I used to be quite the fan of Day of Defeat, though, in my eyes it's lost it's crown to Red Orchestra.

Not even the source version looks as appealing.

I think the new videos look really nice. Sure the player models are outdated but both Flash and Av look great. I can't wait to play.

If you eat cookies before they are cooked they still taste ok, but then you puke and sh*t your face off all night because of some raw eggs.

Checking out DoD: Source before it's done shows off some good stuff, but then you puke your face off because of some raw models.

Let's all have a little faith, and more importantly patience. Feel free to judge the final product, but ripping apart the beta images is foolish and petty.

Orcone101 said:
It's a beta.

I simply cannot stand it when people say this. Valve felt it was ready to show off it's game and did so, beta or no it's something they felt was ready to show to the public. We all know it's a godamn beta so stop makeing posts saying so.

Well, if you read about the DoD forums (despite how ugly they are) I'm almost certain new weapon and player models are being redone. The current are 1.3 ones used as placeholders. Just because they haven't showed them doesn't mean they haven't done them, most likely thing is they won't put them in until they're all done. Personally, I think when it's al l done it's going to look just as good or even better than CS:Source, and I can't wait.

I seriously doubt the dod team would pretty up the maps so much to leave the models and guns exactly the same. It would be a complete waste of effort.

The problem is, problem graphics in a game tend to draw the eye. I bet if the screens were released with no guns or players visible everyone would be saying how great they were.

babyheadcrab said:
I simply cannot stand it when people say this. Valve felt it was ready to show off it's game and did so, beta or no it's something they felt was ready to show to the public. We all know it's a godamn beta so stop makeing posts saying so.

Valve made the decision to allow beta testers to share their screenshots and videos. If they didn't you'd be mad that they aren't showing anything! It is a BETA, don't complain about what you get. If you don't want to see BETA screenshots, don't look at them, and certainly don't judge them as a finaly product.

I agree. It looks like the old one. If no one told me, I would think its DoD slightly retextured.

I agree with everyone who thinks DoD S looks like shit, and in fact i know it will be shit... eveyone has been waiting for it and i have to tell u i think eveyone should be dissapointed! Counter-Strike: source BETA was the same as the cs source now (minus the new gay ct model)... u say its beta but wat are they ganan do with the dod character modles, hands, and guns.... it all looks like shit

one more thing, u also have to pay for this peice of shit, ITS A ****ING MOD!! just go get regular dod for free and play that, it looks better than dod source anyways

Wow... you have a bone to pick or something....

If the semi-decent looking player models and decent gun models were the game, then you may have a valid point.

Unfortunately for your hatin' ass, there is such a thing that is called gameplay, and it rules supreme. The sounds are awsome, the Maps look much better (for you graphical types), and the gameplay is still great clasic DoD. What more could you want?

actually, it looks quite different from shit. Google shit and see how shitty shit can be.

This is just as bad as the time when people judged HL2 by the so called alpha. You guys act like they're so far in development on DoD:S. Beta is NOT final. There has been posts from developers stating it's not just a port. Getting the game to work is a priority over looks.

You guys are seriously ****ing stupid you know that. Learn and read up on shit before you just go and bash.

They haven't changed any of the models yet. They are going to they just haven't done it yet. They've only redone the maps (which is more important then models at first) and of course the coding (effects and ragdolls and such). They are obviously going to change the models, its just later on their to do list.

So dont come here in and say its the exact same when u dont even know what ur talking about. "ohh the models look the exact same!" Thats cause they are the same u ****ing retard.

PickItUp said:
It will be a 95% straight port.

Codemonkey Mathew Boone has worked up a couple of really great features that are not really new, but are rather better implementations of current features.

Wavemaster Kelly Thornton's sounds are great.

Model Genius Jakob Jungels is really taking advantage of Source and creating some terrific artwork.

Hammer Guru's Iikka Karanen and Tim Holt are working their magic on a few of the maps.

And I, John Morello II, have done NOTHING! LOL!

So there's the other 5%

Its a port, nothing new on release but knowing Valve and what they've been doing constantly with CS:S and Half-Life 2 there's bound to be added material further down the line. So new models and what not, look very possible.

But other then updated textures and map geometry, i doubt there will be anything new on release.

Thread closed.
Because certain people cant handle discussion of this matter at an adult level.

(ilovemetal, SenorDingDong; profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back