the antlions are undergrounds creatures?

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
in the new videos(FINNALY I COULD DOWLOAD ONE!) we see that the antlions appear of the ground
in the old bugbait vid we see they come from a hole in the ground
so
they are really like ants?
living undreground?

and that made me say

OMG POSSIBLY THERE IS A VERY BIG COLONY UNDER CITY 17 WHIT A INCREDIBLE ARMY OF ANTLIONS!
(is just speculation)

but I think something like this is interesting to discuss
(if is no so...close)

Err. Yes that is what one would assume...

Maybe we trek into the underground lair of the mighty antlions. Would get annoying though. Antlion over antlion.

Unless we had some of those pheremones. :devil:

<RJMC> said:
in the new videos(FINNALY I COULD DOWLOAD ONE!) we see that the antlions appear of the ground
in the old bugbait vid we see they come from a hole in the ground
so
they are really like ants?
living undreground?

and that made me say

OMG POSSIBLY THERE IS A VERY BIG COLONY UNDER CITY 17 WHIT A INCREDIBLE ARMY OF ANTLIONS!
(is just speculation)

but I think something like this is interesting to discuss
(if is no so...close)

Well, a big underground colony is very possible... but I'm guessing no, at least not something on a huge scale. Antlion's do appear to come out of holes in the ground (or buildings... which are even harder), but that's not saying much--alot of animals do that (and they don't have huge lair's).

Interestingly enough, the Antlion's in HL2 resemble real-life antlion's in some aspects. Real ant-lion's burrow into the ground, and in later stages, fly (looking like a dragon-fly); much like the ones seen in the gameplay videos (although those don't "fly" very far--probably better to call it a long wing-assisted jump).

On an unrelated note, <RJMC>, please practice your english some more and try to type slower. Some of your words are typed incorrectly; presumbly because you are going fast.

father gregory also requests gordon to tread lightly cause the ground that they are on is hollow. so that would make sense if there are like chambers and catacombs made by the ant lions or parts of xen could be underground aswell.

ComradeBadger said:
He's not english, leave it.

Moved to Rumours & Speculation.

I didn't say he was English, did I? I know the english language can be very difficult for people who did not grow up speaking it. He speaks (writes) quite a bit better than many people, but he still does need a little practice, or formal training if he hasn't gotten that yet. Mostly, though, he just types too fast (from excitement), which is why I suggested going slower.

Citizen 1150421 said:
father gregory also requests gordon to tread lightly cause the the ground they are on is hollow. so that would make sense if there are like chambers and catacombs made by the ant lions or parts of xen could be underground aswell.

I think he said the ground was "hallow," as in sacred, or holy. Often used when in or near graveyards, where the dead lay. I'll double-check the movie though.

EDIT: He definitely says to "tread lightly, for this is hallowed ground..."

Perhaps, but I mean come on, please.. we don't know if he was excited or anything...

vegeta897 said:
Err. Yes that is what one would assume...

Maybe we trek into the underground lair of the mighty antlions. Would get annoying though. Antlion over antlion.

Gimme a machine gun and i would actually enjoy that.

Depending on how long the mission was ofcourse.

yes me write bad english
also some botons letters in my keyboard are deleted by the use and I get a litle confussed(specialy the arrows and the spacebar and the letters: A, S, D,W, R, for waht you think?)

and what TotalKrusher say is true
there is a specie of ant called antLION, I didnt know thats antz(I know that the HL2 antlions hav wings) had wings
also that the big HLs antilion is called GUARDIAN like in the real life antz that exist big antz that protec the lair
so amube the HL2 antlions are based in that specie of ant, maybe in more species, maybe in termites also

who knows

EDIT: also I was a litle excited cuz everitime I make a new tread I excite to see what the people say

Damn those were some quick replies. Or maybe i was just typing slow.

Citizen 1150421 said:
father gregory also requests gordon to tread lightly cause the ground that they are on is hollow. so that would make sense if there are like chambers and catacombs made by the ant lions or parts of xen could be underground aswell.

I found that bit of the video quite amusing, he says "tread lightly" and then starts speeding away.

<RJMC> said:
yes me write bad english
also some botons letters in my keyboard are deleted by the use and I get a litle confussed(specialy the arrows and the spacebar and the letters: A, S, D,W, R, for waht you think?)

Hehe... I know exactly what you mean. I have to buy expensive keyboards or the cheap-o ones get broken relatively quickly.

<RJMC> said:
and what TotalKrusher say is true
there is a specie of ant called antLION, I didnt know thats antz(I know that the HL2 antlions hav wings) had wings
also that the big HLs antilion is called GUARDIAN like in the real life antz that exist big antz that protec the lair
so amube the HL2 antlions are based in that specie of ant, maybe in more species, maybe in termites also

who knows

Well, I'm not too sure that the Guardian Antlion's (is that what they are called? ...the big ones we saw at the end of the bugbait video and in the HDR video) are the protectors of the lair so much as they are the leaders of the other Antlions (perhaps where you get the pheremone grenades from?). They weren't fooled by your disguise (like the regular ant lion's), which indicates a larger intellect, or more advanced senses--both of which are good for being leaders.

EDIT: Here is a decent site for an overview on real-world antlions.
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/antlion.html

In real life antlions look more like the wierd thing in Star Trek II the Wrath of Kahn that were placed in the ears. They make pit like structures to trap their prey(if you saw Enemy Mine, that's what they would look like in man size). I kinda wish they had stuck with a real antlion. When an insect falls into a pit they begin shoveling the dirt and making the pit harder to escape. When they grab a hold, they pull it under the surface, and suck out the juicy stuff inside(vampire like) and discard the empty husk. We have them here in AZ. Really neat to watch them do their thing.

Citizen 1150421 said:
Or, because it was a graveyard...

And Totalkrusher, I don't think they tried to model them after real life antlions..I am fairly confident they made the model/animations/story before coming up with the name Antlion.

Jadewolf5675 said:
Or, because it was a graveyard...

And Totalkrusher, I don't think they tried to model them after real life antlions..I am fairly confident they made the model/animations/story before coming up with the name Antlion.

Well, if you read what I wrote, you would see I never actually said they modelled them after real antlions. I said it was interesting they were both very similar. You must admit they do share quite a few characteristics, regardless. However, I wouldn't put it past them to do have used a real-life animal as a basis...

...or even other works of art... Is it just me, or do the antlion's remind you of Starship Troopers? :)

Jadewolf5675 said:
Arrrgghhhhhh...

Lol. If that was meant to show me they are not similar... well, I already knew that. The only characteristics that led me to the comparison are their legs (both very angular and bug-like) and their tendency to be in packs or large groups. Thats all. It would be pretty interesting to see the two square off against each other. ...As the saying goes... "maybe in a mod" :)

Totalkrusher said:
Lol. If that was meant to show me they are not similar... well, I already knew that. The only characteristics that led me to the comparison are their legs (both very angular and bug-like) and their tendency to be in packs or large groups. Thats all. It would be pretty interesting to see the two square off against each other. ...As the saying goes... "maybe in a mod" :)
No I was saying that they *are* similar, and that you were right :thumbs:

There were many huge Antlion/Troopers comparison threads not too long ago.
Basically, the only huge similarities are that they both have spots that are yellow, and that they have spiked feets. Other than that, they're completely dissimilar to me.

The AntLion Guards are actually a lot more like the ST guys, but no-one ever points that out. :p

they actually look more like the zerglings off of starcraft.

Uhh people, I think he said it is "hell on ground"

Atleast thats what I heard...

I heard no "s" on the end there... I dont wanna bother check the vid...

vegeta897 said:

If you are talking about what Father Grigori says during the Ravenholm segment, you are incorrect. Here is what he says:

"Greetings brother, and so we meet at last. You are to be commended for avoiding my traps. They're the work of man who once had too much time on his hands, and now finds time for nothing but the work of salvation. I suspect you have little wish to remain in Ravenholm, so, I will show you to the mines. Follow me brother, and... tread lightly, for this is hallowed ground."

vegeta897 said:

He's not saying "hell on ground" (or "hollow ground", for that matter). :p

It's "hallowed ground" as in blessed soil.
He's saying that the graveyard is a holy place, and Gordon should be respectful.
Irony!

Edit: TK beat me to it.

it's weird how do come out of every hole...there most be a lot of them...

I don't know if any of you have watched the XSI modeling tutorials, but aside from coming out of the ground, antlions can also dig...one of the guys in the tutorial plays an animation where the antlion burrows underground.
I'd imagine that they do live in colonies underground. Ever seen the 3rd place Nihilanth teleports you in HL1? It's a big underground cavern; they probably live somewhere like that.

Also I just watched Starship Troopers 2 this weekend and I noticed another similarity between antlions and the arachnids: they both gib into a bunch of pieces and bleed green. :p I don't suggest watching that movie past the initial 30 minutes or so, though. Afterwards it just becomes crap.

Totalkrusher said:
I didn't say he was English, did I? I know the english language can be very difficult for people who did not grow up speaking it. He speaks (writes) quite a bit better than many people, but he still does need a little practice, or formal training if he hasn't gotten that yet. Mostly, though, he just types too fast (from excitement), which is why I suggested going slower.
In my opinion, it only matters if you grew up speaking English. If you didn't and you can speak English very well, then fair play to you, but there's no need to have a go at him. Besides, I'd wager that his English is better than your Spanish (or Portugese - I forget what's spoken in Venezuela)
Why does it bother you that much?
At least it's not 1337 <shudders>

And yeah Darkside: The AntLions are pretty heavily modelled on the Arachnids...

I am fairly sure that one of the Valve artists actually worked on the Starship Troopers Film...

So I wonder who moddeled the antilion.... :p

Heheh, I am willing to bet there will be a segment of the game undergound with those doods. :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Heheh, I am willing to bet there will be a segment of the game undergound with those doods. :)

i hope so, because that would be awsome :D

marksmanHL2 :) said:
I am fairly sure that one of the Valve artists actually worked on the Starship Troopers Film...

So I wonder who moddeled the antilion.... :p

That'd suck, like the caves in D2 act2, where you had to kill to kill those maggots,
Going underground killing insectoid creatures is always a bad idea... Trust me..

Back