The beginning

Zeus

Tank
Reaction score
Okay I was just reading on wikipedia and it really got me thinking.

However, their influence on Freeman may precede the G-Man's. This is not the first time a cultish group of vortigaunts has been associated with a character's rescue from an explosive situation. One of the "flashes" or teleportations Gordon undergoes during the original Black Mesa incident resulted in him finding himself within a circle of vortigaunts who were strangely unaggressive with regards to his presence. Originally, players were likely to believe that Freeman had simply intruded randomly on a gathering of surprised, hostile aliens--but in light of Episode One, it seems possible these vortigaunts were one and the same, and they may have had a significant role in Gordon's survival of the test chamber catastrophe. Of course, as per Half-Life's storytelling conventions, other characters assumed this feat--like many others of Gordon's--could be attributed to his hazard suit.

now that I think about it those vortigaunts from the start of HL1 I think they are somehow related to the ones at the start of HL2: E1. What do you guys think

I highly doubt they are one and the same.
I also doubt that those vortigaunts in HL1 purposely teleported Gordon there. They probably didn't attack because they were very confused.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm vary intarestink..
that IS quite intriguing but I'd guess it's more of an unintentional coincidence than something Valve intended to link. That said, Valve never seem to elaborate on the little clues we pick up in the games, so we'll probably never know one way or another.

I think its possible. I never thought about that short sequence in HL1 as anything more than a 'scare' intented to make the player go "ahh!" during the freak accident, making him believe he was being teleported out of control between worlds.

In light of HL2, however, it could be possible that the vorts played some role in his journey, considering they became 'aware' of him during the catastrophic failure. But this still doesn't explain what hand they could/would have played after simply being enlightened on gordon's existance...

I don't think Valve was thinking that far ahead when they were making HL1.

Actually they did...in a way. In Half-Life 1 you were eventually supposed to lead the slaves into a full uprising against their Controller masters and the Nihilanth, but this proved troublesome in gameplay tests and wasn't really a lucrative idea, so they scrapped it and held it for HL2. But this initial plan means that Gordon was always supposed to have a connection to the Vortigaunts.

And yes, that initial meeting with the Vortigaunts was Gordon Freeman accidently falling into the vortessence. It happened a second time, again by accident, when the Nihilanth was destroyed and he released all the teleport energies. You touched the vortessence when you blacked out and before the G-man woke you, so that one you never saw.
The third and final time was in Episode One, except this time it was less by accident and more of a concious act. You even see through the eyes of the vortigaunts as they are saving Alyx, and as you were the only one who really knew where she was for the Vortigaunts to locate her, that implies that they might now be starting to see through your eyes as well (something they couldn't do before, even in HL2).

Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but as the title is 'The beginning', I had one issue with the intro - wtf is up with that bit where your viewpoint is flying up the side of the Citadel?
Did Valve intentionally break with their rule that all the action is from Freeman's viewpoint? Is it in fact what Gordon is seeing, but it's some kind of vision that the Vorts are feeding his brain?

Well, the insane amount of teleporting done by both the G-Man and the Vortigaunts, combined with the exploding portal and reactor, meant that time-space probably wasn't exactly stable at that point in time.

It might also have something to do with the Vortessence, like Darkside is saying, such as Gordon "feeling" the Vortigaunts teleporting in.

I always thought that that scene in HL1 was metaphysical
"For a breef time you joined us, you are one, between the worlds.

alehm said:
I don't think Valve was thinking that far ahead when they were making HL1.

and yet they can make retroactive connections now

jimmyjam said:
and yet they can make retroactive connections now

It isn't Valve making (at least officially) retroactive connections now about this particular scene, it's the starter of this thread who is.

For all we know seeing the Vorts in the begining of HL1 was just a mood setting scene for the player... not some deep hidden meaning to be further explained in later episodes. After all Half Life is primarily a game where Valve focuses on an engaging gaming experience not some incredibly complex universe where every single second in the game has a profound meaning to be further explained in future installments.

alehm said:
It isn't Valve making (at least officially) retroactive connections now about this particular scene, it's the starter of this thread who is.

For all we know seeing the Vorts in the begining of HL1 was just a mood setting scene for the player... not some deep hidden meaning to be further explained in later episodes. After all Half Life is primarily a game where Valve focuses on an engaging gaming experience not some incredibly complex universe where every single second in the game has a profound meaning to be further explained in future installments.

Yet they can make retroactive connections, now

I think it's very likely.
The vortigaunts even say in HL2 that "for a brief moment you joined us".

alehm said:

I'll disagree with you there. Half-Life's written by Marc Laidlaw, and if you've ever read something from him even the smallest little details could come back and be some explosive revelation. Case in point: read The 37th Mandala. There's one particular point mentioned in the beginning of the book that seems to have no significance other than the main character's aversion to a certain sexual act, little more than a passing statement. But then towards the end of the book that little footnote turns out to be tied into a major part of his character.

I think that, because HL has a writer like this, he'll try and tie everything together. It's been said that there's only the outline for the story...Valve knows what they want to happen but they're still fleshing out how to get to that point. And Marc Laidlaw has said before he doesn't like to write himself into corners just in case they have to revisit something later. The scene with the vorts might not've meant anything at the time, but it does now. The same will probably happen with a lot of things, especially little things you only glance at, things that don't seem to have any particular significance. I think at least some (if not all) of those will end up having importance when Freeman's adventure is done with.

valve pointed out that wiki as one of the ones that most impressed them. i remember that scene in the original HL and i always wondered why they didnt attack, now we know why. The vortigaunts are obviously much more in control than we ever thought or were lead to believe.

I think they are linked (the scenes from HL1 and Ep1) this is exactly the kind of cool detail were used to from them and shows the amount of thought that valve puts into its games, thats why they're so successful

edit: i say valve but i also mean to include mark laidlaw in my praise of their abilities

Come on people!
I mean Half-Life has an excellent story but it just doesn't make that much sense. The scene was obviously intended to scare the player, and the vortigaunts were controlled by the Nihilanth. I don't think they would be able to teleport Gordon away.

It was just a scene to set the mood and nothing more. Gameplay first over story was the main objective.
And retroactive connections do not make someone a good writer.
I highly doubt this theory.

Half-life is Story-oriented. Everything has to be a part of something. Everything has something to do with gordon. you are the Free Man! Gordon is the Free Man.
And that's what keeps half-life alive!

I don't buy it. The Bullsquids didn't attack you either, so are we to assume that they're involved in some kind of major plot conspiracy? How about the AGrunts in the alternate ending?

More to the point, the Vorts in Half-Life 1 were green-shackled slaves and those who freed you in Half-Life 2 were not.

VortigauntLover said:
Come on people!
I mean Half-Life has an excellent story but it just doesn't make that much sense. The scene was obviously intended to scare the player, and the vortigaunts were controlled by the Nihilanth. I don't think they would be able to teleport Gordon away.

It was just a scene to set the mood and nothing more. Gameplay first over story was the main objective.
And retroactive connections do not make someone a good writer.
I highly doubt this theory.
I agree and disagree.
Vorts where slaves in HL1. They did not have control. They attacked you and you killed them.

Disagree on story part.

kupoartist said:
I don't buy it. The Bullsquids didn't attack you either, so are we to assume that they're involved in some kind of major plot conspiracy? How about the AGrunts in the alternate ending?
The bullsquids were unaware of your presence. Even my first time playing HL1 that was the impression I got. They don't even bother with you. Not to mention the fact that bullsquids are easily frightened animals and I think they would've noticed something appearing behind them, and jumping in fright.

And the grunts kill you in that ending. We don't see it, but they maul the sh*t out of you.

The vortigaunts on the other hand recognize you're there and they look at each other in confusion.

More to the point, the Vorts in Half-Life 1 were green-shackled slaves and those who freed you in Half-Life 2 were not.

I don't get what point that makes...they can use the vortessence whether they're chained up or not.

Well, the only reason the vorts dont kill you after hl1 is because Gorodon "freed" them im told, so Id assume they dont attack you in the test chamber because they are either confused or valve just didnt think about that too much...remember, those bullsquid things also didnt attack.....

Tyguy said:
Well, the only reason the vorts dont kill you after hl1 is because Gorodon "freed" them im told, so Id assume they dont attack you in the test chamber because they are either confused or valve just didnt think about that too much...remember, those bullsquid things also didnt attack.....

Yes, they never see human before so they don't know what to do. Perhaps those vorts are communicating with other vorts, dicussing how to react.

Still, I think the altar like place is knid of strange.

Darkside55 said:
The bullsquids were unaware of your presence. Even my first time playing HL1 that was the impression I got. They don't even bother with you. Not to mention the fact that bullsquids are easily frightened animals and I think they would've noticed something appearing behind them, and jumping in fright.
That's contradictive. Yes, the Bullsquids are easily freightened, so why didn't they notice the noisy teleport? And if they don't notice you because you cannot be noticed, that would in turn explain away why the Vortiguants don't bother with you.

The point about the shackles is that we have no reason to believe that slaves with Shackles on are capable of thinking outside the hostile mindset imposed on them by the Nihlianth. They surely can't be super-dooper magic Vorts if they have those Shackles on.

Darkside55 said:

Those bullsquids were actually aware of Gordon's appearance during the resonance cascade. From my fading memory, the bullsquids did looked up if you bother them. I think the bullsquids, which their reaction were similar to those vorts, did not know what to do when, for the first time, they saw a man. In fact, they were drinking water, so they had somehow pulled down their sensations and didn't realise the substantial danger of Gordon. Later, they were conveyed to a new, weird place called the Earth. They were completely frigthened. Moreover, humans sent troops to both Xen and Black Mesa. They were finally aware of the hostility of humans. So they attacked you.

Darkside55 said:
Actually they did...in a way. In Half-Life 1 you were eventually supposed to lead the slaves into a full uprising against their Controller masters and the Nihilanth, but this proved troublesome in gameplay tests and wasn't really a lucrative idea, so they scrapped it and held it for HL2. But this initial plan means that Gordon was always supposed to have a connection to the Vortigaunts.

Interesting. I didn't know this. Got a link or is it in Raising The Bar?

bbson_john said:
Those bullsquids were actually aware of Gordon's appearance during the resonance cascade. From my fading memory, the bullsquids did looked up if you bother them.
You're probably thinking of Opposing Force which reused that very same map that Gordon teleports to for one of the Xen maps you can randomly teleport to with the displacer gun. You "disturb" the drinking bullsquid by shooting it, but IIRC, even then it can't actually attack you, it just stands there. You cannot distub it in any way apart from shooting at it in either HL1 or Op4.

kupoartist said:
You're probably thinking of Opposing Force which reused that very same map that Gordon teleports to for one of the Xen maps you can randomly teleport to with the displacer gun. You "disturb" the drinking bullsquid by shooting it, but IIRC, even then it can't actually attack you, it just stands there. You cannot distub it in any way apart from shooting at it in either HL1 or Op4.

Not really, I click use key to disturb them. Perhaps I was wrong, they'd never look up. 'cos my memory is fading.

pomegranate said:
Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but as the title is 'The beginning', I had one issue with the intro - wtf is up with that bit where your viewpoint is flying up the side of the Citadel?
Did Valve intentionally break with their rule that all the action is from Freeman's viewpoint? Is it in fact what Gordon is seeing, but it's some kind of vision that the Vorts are feeding his brain?

I think that, based on where you are found by D0g, that you are blown from the Citadel by the explosion, and the climbing up the tower at the beginning of Ep1 is you essentially being pushed back in time by the Vortigaunts, to where they save you and Alyx...

I think that they were in a circle like that for a reason. Think about it, you saw what was occuring all around you at the beginning of the game. With everything falling apart in there you were bound to die. The vortigaunt's must have known that you were very important and pulled you out of there. I believe Valve has thought out this story line a little bit more than anyone would like to think.

Oh and Darkside I was wondering when that headcrab file was coming out. You seem to know so much about the Half-Life. It's like you looked at every detail of every game, took note of it, and then pieced together in an understandable way. Well can't wait until the headcrab file is out.

bbson_john said:
And there are always ten Vortigaunts.

Might be that there are 10 Vortigaunts inside City 17 that arent under control of the Combine, so they are kinda like the A-Team, cruisin around space and time looking for someone to save!

Back