The Beta is old , obvious proof.

DimitriPopov

Reaction score
This may be discussed to death but its also an argument that needs to be defeated. There are clear evidences that this is an old build of the game that was poorly guarded. Possibly a test build for Gabe to use and show off. Anyway , here is my evidence , im not here to discuss others.

Well we all know the DX9 Video right? Well the beta has it. This map is NOT finished , hell nowhere near it. The fancy spcular maps and lighting maps on the roof tiles , not present. Just a flag highrez texture. The ant lion , not there. THe background unfinished , untextured , unmapped. The fancy shiny metal roofs , one is flat metal one is not even textured. Theres nothing close to HDR lighting in the bar area , just normal lighting. The map arcitexture isnt even complete. This is all fairly obvious evidence that shows the age of this build at least in relative terms. The purpose is to defeat posts such as 'See the beta! The game wasnt ready , thats why theres a delay'. Thought processes such as that , thats why I post. Discuss.

Sorry for the poor description , not allowed to post screenshots.

True dimitri, i think too that's the reason to the delay. :)p)

yeah i know its old. When i played some of the maps they didnt even have walls. Just a bunch of red error signs everywhere. The only reason i still have the beta is because i like to fool around in the techdemo part.

I know , I still want a beating though. Its obvious the beta is nowhere near the current game.

barely evidence, apparently its been said the beta is dated 4 days befor september 30th

the only thing i regret about d/lin the beta is that i found out all the other weapons that will be in the game, i kinda wanted that to be a suprise.

my guess is that if it is the latest build, the hacker just didnt steal all the textures and models, hence them not appearing in the map

its very possible he has the latest build, just not everything that should appear in it

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
This may be discussed to death but its also an argument that needs to be defeated. There are clear evidences that this is an old build of the game that was poorly guarded. Possibly a test build for Gabe to use and show off. Anyway , here is my evidence , im not here to discuss others.

Well we all know the DX9 Video right? Well the beta has it. This map is NOT finished , hell nowhere near it. The fancy spcular maps and lighting maps on the roof tiles , not present. Just a flag highrez texture. The ant lion , not there. THe background unfinished , untextured , unmapped. The fancy shiny metal roofs , one is flat metal one is not even textured. Theres nothing close to HDR lighting in the bar area , just normal lighting. The map arcitexture isnt even complete. This is all fairly obvious evidence that shows the age of this build at least in relative terms. The purpose is to defeat posts such as 'See the beta! The game wasnt ready , thats why theres a delay'. Thought processes such as that , thats why I post. Discuss.

Sorry for the poor description , not allowed to post screenshots.

the map in the beta has specular roof tiles or whatever, but its not as clear as in the demo vid, cuz the point of the vid was to make it obvious.

the ant lion was put in there to be an obvious example as well, it wont be in the final game.

yep, i saw no HDR

the real proof is that a lot of other stuff is missing. the bugbait meshes. the AI. and, eh, other stuff. a whole bunch of the e3 maps are missing stuff, so clearly this is a build made before e3.

yes the hacker has most likely been lying to us and want valve to be put down. BUT WHY? did gabe like molest this "anon" guy when he was young?

OMG people still believe this was stole 4 days before sept 30?????
Idiots the e3 level that were complete back in may are not even finish in the beta!!!! Are u guys retarded, plz stop making complaints based on a built that may be over a year, jesus...

Spitcodfry talked about this earlier. There are plenty of reasons why this "beta" is old. Hell, I don't have the beta, but even I can tell it's older than E3 just by comparing screenshots. Remember the E3 video with the dune buggy? I saw pictures of the dune buggy from the leak, and not only is the engine missing, but the rollcage is taller. It's pretty clear that it's a different version of the buggy, and not just missing textures, as Cheetarah put it. Missing textures don't account for differences in the geometry.

It's ridiculous how many people still believe this stuff is current. I don't care how old the topic is, kudos for posting it.

Originally posted by Bedwetting Type
Spitcodfry talked about this earlier. There are plenty of reasons why this "beta" is old. Hell, I don't have the beta, but even I can tell it's older than E3 just by comparing screenshots. Remember the E3 video with the dune buggy? I saw pictures of the dune buggy from the leak, and not only is the engine missing, but the rollcage is taller. It's pretty clear that it's a different version of the buggy, and not just missing textures, as Cheetarah put it. Missing textures don't account for differences in the geometry.

It's ridiculous how many people still believe this stuff is current. I don't care how old the topic is, kudos for posting it.

i very much agree, this is older then anon thinks it is, or is saying it is

hehe i know, i sould relax, but some guys are dumber that the AI in the game

I knew off gut instinct that the beta was old.. but that is a very valid point!:cheers:

btw, i think this rule about now beta discussion is pretty retarded. its a HL2 forum, how bout we talk about HL2. just sitting here and ignoring the beta isnt helping anybody. i liked it better when the beta had its own forum, then munro came along and changed the rules.

Originally posted by mannyfresh027
btw, i think this rule about now beta discussion is pretty retarded. its a HL2 forum, how bout we talk about HL2. just sitting here and ignoring the beta isnt helping anybody. i liked it better when the beta had its own forum, then munro came along and changed the rules.

yeah, we need that board back, just make it so people dont post download links.

imo the engine itself is recent (4 days before 30th september) but the content isn't, or not complete

there are actually very few _engine_ bugs that can be mentioned, physics work perfectly etc, just incorrect textures/models/scripts/ai which is just the content.

I personally don't have all the rar files right now. I have around 90 of em, just barely enough to run the game and some maps. I also think it's old because of the reasons that have been stated. The hacker was probably lying, just like he did about that pre-gold BS that he said he was gonna release a few days back.

I have some engine bugs but that's prolly due to me missing rars. I'm not sure all the code is there though. One of the weird things that happens to me..is sometimes when I shoot people, they cycle through their animations as if I was going to the next animation by putting another bullet it him...looks funny :)

Once again unless it's because I'm missing files, the game likes to crash when I do certain things with different console settings on, like gravity and air density. It also crashes when there's a whole bunch of wood splinters being blown up in that one corner of the e3_techdemo_2

I feel this is clearly old.

EDIT: I too think the beta forum should be reopened. The beta is out there in thousands of peoples hands. I can see not posting links to d/l locations or even screenshots, but why not talk about it? In many irc channels I've even gotten a warning from a channel mod just for saying beta.... It's almost like I said "bomb" on an airplane... christ...

You know what I think is retarted? When I'm reading a perfectly good thread and somebody ruins it by posting a spoiler. :flame: It's like when you're watching a movie and it shows a shot of some guy's hairy ass, and you're all RAAAAAAAGH! NOOOOO! :eek:

ah playing the techdemo , my dream come true since August. It was so dreamy :) :drool:

You know what I think is retarted? When I'm reading a perfectly good thread and somebody ruins it by posting a spoiler. :flame: It's like when you're watching a movie and it shows a shot of some guy's hairy ass, and you're all RAAAAAAAGH! NOOOOO! :eek:

thats why we should have a special forum for it

we had one, but then munro tore it down

zis is vy ve should have a beta discussion board.

Originally posted by AmishSlayer
I have some engine bugs but that's prolly due to me missing rars. I'm not sure all the code is there though. One of the weird things that happens to me..is sometimes when I shoot people, they cycle through their animations as if I was going to the next animation by putting another bullet it him...looks funny :)

i think those are just like test people :D with normal people, you walk up to them and hit them, they run away or they die.

but there are some models just standing there that dont talk or anything, and every time you hit them, they change animation.

i dont think its an engine thing, they just made them like that to test

i think the code is recent but the resources are old lots of evidence of the resources being old

The antlion from the "prison" E3 demo level? He came out for me. Scared me but he came out. psssst think it is scripted, spend some time walking around.

of course its scripted. a game with no scripted moments is a game with no shit-your-pants moments.

It is scripted. Only thing is, it won't come out if you aren't standing in the right spot or if you kill all of the soldiers first I think. Not sure.

I don't neccessarily buy it. But OK.

I think there is a lot of work left to do and Valve still knew that there was going to be a lot of work left to do and probably knew all along that the Sep 30th date was doubtful, but I don't hold that against them because most developers are very bad at predicting a specific date until the game goes gold. That's why Id doesn't put out a release date. You just wake up one morning and it's done.

The HDR demo looked like crap anyway. How much shine does one surface need?

But yeah, there is a lot of stuff in the beta that looks nothing like the PR shots. So either Valve is doing some pretty bad jojo behind the scenes or the resources that were stolen were old. I'm willing to bet the code was pretty spot on though.

I thought the HDRI effect looked extremely fakey in the video. ACTUAL hdri rendering would be way to cpu intensive by many fold. Images rendered with HDRI global lighting would look real as a mofo, though. Ahhh maybe someday within the next... 10 years.

that video only looked over the top because it was supposed to. the purpose was to show off the shader and HDR effects, so they made it really obvious.

Originally posted by mbrithoms
barely evidence, apparently its been said the beta is dated 4 days befor september 30th

You prolly dont live on earth do ya, how blind can you be :rolleyes:
This "beta" is older then the E3 demo, which is atleast 8 months old if not more.

Originally posted by AmishSlayer
I too think the beta forum should be reopened. The beta is out there in thousands of peoples hands. I can see not posting links to d/l locations or even screenshots, but why not talk about it? In many irc channels I've even gotten a warning from a channel mod just for saying beta.... It's almost like I said "bomb" on an airplane... christ...
From Do NOT Discuss The Illegal HL2 Release thread
Halflife2.net does not condone downloading illegal software. The moderators of this forum will remove every post that discusses this as well as the posting rights of the user creating it. Yes that's right you will be banned. If you want to discuss this go elsewhere.

Do not:

Request the illegal release or post download links.
Post or request links to sites hosting any content from the release.
Post screenshots of the release.
Post spoilers or information contained in the release.

If you have a problem with this email me at [email protected]

You can help us by reporting threads the usual way. We have a report button at the bottom of every post you can use or you can see an admin on IRC or send a private message to one.

Originally posted by Ridic
the only thing i regret about d/lin the beta is that i found out all the other weapons that will be in the game, i kinda wanted that to be a suprise.

I agree, but I could resist :flame:

Originally posted by mbrithoms

This means nothing. Every time you copy a file, the new file has the date of when it was *copied*, not when the original file was created.

Back