The Beta is old , obvious proof.

I looked at some of the levels that were used in the E3 demo. They were unfinished... not only because of techinical aspects (like missing models, error msgs or whatever), but also because the actual archetecture of the level itself was incomplete.

if it is old why is hl2 now delayed again but so long... if its new that could be why the big delay...... does it realy take 6 more months to playtest?

personally i believe that the hackers hasnt released everything he has, just as the random postings on the web say.

lol

Originally posted by Frizz
if it is old why is hl2 now delayed again but so long... if its new that could be why the big delay...... does it realy take 6 more months to playtest?

Last i heard it was delayed not because of the beta but because source got out. Source is whats important to them.

Messing around in the 'physics lab' is really fun (The pool of water and all)

Though wood is a major CPU hog. Impulse 101 yourself and get a grenade. Throw it at any of the piles of debris. Watch HL2 crash.

All I can say is that the game is looking amazingly promising even at this glimpse from the past state!

Yeah, it's old. That's obvious.. Too bad there's nothing else to talk about HL2 wise - it's pretty boring now. Hell, I'm not really anticipating HL2 anymore.. at least, not as much as I was.

did you run Hl2 in DX9?..By default it doesnt

The error signs can be turned off and on, in this case they are on, this is why you wouldnt seen them in the videos.

its simply not logical to take the word of a thief.
nor is it logical to assume valve are lying when they have no reason to.

Do you remember the news that spred across all boards about the E3 being leaked during last year's E3 days???

Well apparently it was true, but the demo had some sort of protection and only worked for few days....

the BETA is not other than a copiled version
of the source engine from the Leaked source code + resources from the not working E3 demo. The material in the beta is like 8-9 months older

Originally posted by panzaman
Do you remember the news that spred across all boards about the E3 being leaked during last year's E3 days???

Well apparently it was true, but the demo had some sort of protection and only worked for few days....

the BETA is not other than a copiled version
of the source engine from the Leaked source code + resources from the not working E3 demo. The material in the beta is like 8-9 months older

that certainly doesnt sound like something you just pulled out of your ass.... [/sarcasm]

Originally posted by mbrithoms
barely evidence, apparently its been said the beta is dated 4 days befor september 30th

You don't think that line could have been added to this leak?

Here's how I see it. So when you start the game or whatever there is a line that says "4 days to Sept 30" or something like that. Well, it isn't 4 days to Sept 30 is it? This is a static line of code that doesn't change. Isn't it suspicious that they would count down to Sept 30 with a number that never changes? This static line means it had to be put into the code somehow to be displayed during the game. If that is true, that would mean everysingle day when Valve employees came into work they would each have to open a file editor and manually change the days counting down to Sept 30 on thier computer. That just doesn't sound logical.

It would be a lot easier to just write on a dry eraser board everyday.

And apparently, if the game is as unfinished as I here it is (many maps just empty expanses with no texturing) why would Valve be counting down 4 days to Sept when they aren't even 50% done with the game?

Originally posted by mbrithoms
barely evidence, apparently its been said the beta is dated 4 days befor september 30th

considering it was stolen on the 19th....i think you guys are getting that confused with the dates the hacker put in.....

and since its not even up to par with the e3 demo....id say its atleast a year old.....with some newer stuff mixed in possibly

I hope they aren't going off the file modified dates; that would be really dumb...

Well, i would just like to have some more clearance on wether the AI in the movies was scripted or not...

Originally posted by ferd
Well, i would just like to have some more clearance on wether the AI in the movies was scripted or not...

If you must know, all AI is scripted.

Each E3 video showed off a certain aspect of Half Life 2. Gman showed facial animation, traptown (the video with the infamous scripted soldier kicking the door in) was actually meant to show off physics not unscripted AI, and if I am not mistaken it was the strider and barricade video which was used to show AI not being scripted. Where Valve went on at length about how the Strider knows by AI it can go underneath the building arch, and how your teammates will follow and lay cover for you blah blah blah....

People took the phrase "unscripted AI" and ran with it on blind faith assuming the entire game of HL2 was going to be unscripted, this unrealistic deduction was brought to a frothing head when Anon stated Valve lied because the door being kicked in by a soldier was scripted.

Remember Dr Klieners lab how Alyx heard the scanners and when they were spotted and the Strider blew up the side of the wall? That whole thing was a script. You think that if the AI was totally random freeform that the scanners would came by exactly after Alyx is finished talking? And the Strider would blow up the same section of wall everytime? No it is scripted.

There are no shame in scripts, they serve a purpose. But Valve trying to go forward with less scripted AI (Striders figuring out where the can move and bend under things, Dr Kliener stopping his scripted speech to tell Gordon to 'be more careful' after knocking the monitor down, or if the player is not wanting to listen to an entire scripted speech the NPC will only speak the most important information before the player leaves, ect) is a step forward from what has been done in the past, but by no means gets us away from scripted events.

Originally posted by crabcakes66
considering it was stolen on the 19th....i think you guys are getting that confused with the dates the hacker put in.....

and since its not even up to par with the e3 demo....id say its atleast a year old.....with some newer stuff mixed in possibly

My guess - the beta consists of a very recent build of the game engine , coupled with pre-E3 map / artwork resources. Just a guess anyhow.

Originally posted by Ridic
the only thing i regret about d/lin the beta is that i found out all the other weapons that will be in the game, i kinda wanted that to be a suprise.

thats not all the weapons, and plus, all of them you knew were gonna be in ther already. trust me, ther are still suprises in store.

yeah, the only weapon in the beta i didnt know about already was the
stun batonp

You're right rezerox. I remember in the e3 sewer video Gordon firing that gun that catches a Combine soldier on fire. I don't recall anyone having this gun in the leak. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of sewer, I don't think the leak has the hyrdas. Again, I have no way to confirm this.

But if so, it is further proof 'Anon' doesn't have everything Valve has and isn't nessecarily all Valve has completed in HL2.

That's right many weapons are missing, lots of prop models too, the code is recent and DirectX 9 works fine.

But the most interesting are the maps.
Did you notice that a great number are only for test purpose, some don't work at all, only a few are almost finished.
But more did you looked at the map names!!

They all begin with d and a number 1, 2, 3 and a name.

Why a d !! remember the naming of HL 1 !!

There must be maps wit a : a, b, c ....

And after testing all the maps that would run, i noticed that only a little part of the final game must be here, maybe only a 1/4.
That's certainly what was meant by saying that only a third was stolen.

It's also obvious that the end is not here at all.

So my conclusions are that the hacker did access to some computers, but not to all Valve's PC.
The other maps were certainly on machines that the hacker did not find or could not access.

And after testing all that was possible, i don't know much more about the game than by seeing the videos, nothing really important is spoiled.
I will have just more impatience to get the final real game!!!

There are maps that start with an a that aren't in the beta. Try to start a new game and check the console. The starting maps must be the a's.

Originally posted by alehm
You're right rezerox. I remember in the e3 sewer video Gordon firing that gun that catches a Combine soldier on fire. I don't recall anyone having this gun in the leak. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of sewer, I don't think the leak has the hyrdas. Again, I have no way to confirm this.

But if so, it is further proof 'Anon' doesn't have everything Valve has and isn't nessecarily all Valve has completed in HL2.

The beta has a model viewer and the Hydra models are in. There just aren't any maps using it.

I cannot beleive the ammount of work these guys put in. Like 100 animations per human charachter. Thats excluding the facial muscles which can be set to any configuration desirable.

As for the Incendiary Rifle which puts people on fire, there is a console command to get it but it doesnt have releoad animations yet.

There are also a wealth of other weapons you don not see when you type in impulse 101.

I'd certainly go along with the theory that it is old/new and/or missing files which were not stolen.

Certainly as the game complains with errors that things are not where they are supposed to be, (basically missing - like the AI for most things in the game) I can't imagine the game would give out that many errors when they know what they are doing lets face it.

Also the maps would not still be called E3xxxx if it was post-E3, they wouldn't be that lazy not to rename them by now.

As for the days to Sept 30th, an explanation for why it doesn't tick down when the date changes on your PC may be how many days til the 30th when it was last compiled - I doubt there is no way of telling unless you look at the source.

Originally posted by BWMASTER
The beta has a model viewer and the Hydra models are in. There just aren't any maps using it.

I cannot beleive the ammount of work these guys put in. Like 100 animations per human charachter. Thats excluding the facial muscles which can be set to any configuration desirable.

As for the Incendiary Rifle which puts people on fire, there is a console command to get it but it doesnt have releoad animations yet.

There are also a wealth of other weapons you don not see when you type in impulse 101.

hey, what is the console command to give weapons and items? i was thinking about that but couldnt remember the command. ther probably is a ton of things i havent seen yet, only had it for a few days.

Remember how HL2 was declared feature complete last September?
I'm assuming that is in reference to the engine code.
Therefore the code that is in the leaked build doesn't necessarily have to be from a new build. The entire beta build could quite easily be pre E3.

the beta is not Pre e3! Why should it be??? Some of the maps that didn't work first are now working because some ppl just compiled them new with the Mappack that was released aswell.

the note on the upper right corner of the screen says: Source Engine 2 Built 4 days till 30/09/03 MEANS Built No. 4 but not "built just 4 days till..." imo

Those Red Error placeholders are just there because of some Version probs... ".. is version 32 should be version 37" it is written in the console while loading map a lot. Every single Version error is then one of those Red Error Placeholders. the model is there the textures too but it doesnt fit right.

About the Anon lying thing: the leaker stated just 1 day after the Pre-Gold roumor that it is fake and he never would give any info in public like a forum, irc or something... he just gives info in the NFO files of his releases.

If u would take all the stuff that is on the workstations of all Valve ppl, im sure the game is almost finished.

SPOILER!! there will be a HL1 and CS Port to the Source Engine with new realtime shadows, particle effects, HL2 water fx and some other lovely details!

Back