The cool things you have done with Physics thread

ritcH

Reaction score
Well I can't believe this hasn't been posted - probably all too busy playing but I hope this will enhance the gaming experience for everyone and I'll update this post for all the cool things you all come up with :D

[Warning possible spoilers]

To start:

1) Shoot a tyre at an ant lion and they get trapped in it lol
2) Use barrels and crates to blockade one of the back enterences when defending a position with 3 turrets - you'll know it when you get there!
3) Shooting the buggy over a road block in Sandtraps

I'm sure their are many many many more and even some I have forgotten myself. So refresh my memory and get creative :D

I like the little flashes of inspiration you get when you think of a new way to use the items... and then you realise that was the way they wanted you to solve a problem. For example, making a bridge over the electrified water.

Mine is so simple, yet it stunned me after i did it.

I destroyed a wood box standing on some big pieces of wood, a battery was in the box and it fell under all the wood that the box was standing on.
I took a metal pipe and got the batter out of there (it took me 15 minutes), I had to help myself with other things too.

When I realised what I just did, I was stunned that it was possible. :thumbs:

Ozzie said:
Mine is so simple, yet it stunned me after i did it.

I destroyed a wood box standing on some big pieces of wood, a battery was in the box and it fell under all the wood that the box was standing on.
I took a metal pipe and got the batter out of there (it took me 15 minutes), I had to help myself with other things too.

When I realised what I just did, I was stunned that it was possible. :thumbs:
Now, that is amazing. :cheers:

i really love feeding things to those ceiling hanging aliens with the huge tongues. Like burning barrels that are about to explode, for example. The first time i went through those parts where they are all over, i just tediously shot each one of the monsters 5 times till a path was clear. The second time, i noticed the "flammable" barrels that were nearby and gave them one to chew on. Then shoot, then watch them pull it up, and BLAM!!! it kills them all. oh yeah. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else...i just didn't think of it the first time...

benpatient said:
i really love feeding things to those ceiling hanging aliens with the huge tongues. Like burning barrels that are about to explode, for example. The first time i went through those parts where they are all over, i just tediously shot each one of the monsters 5 times till a path was clear. The second time, i noticed the "flammable" barrels that were nearby and gave them one to chew on. Then shoot, then watch them pull it up, and BLAM!!! it kills them all. oh yeah. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else...i just didn't think of it the first time...
I didn't realize that right away either.
Oh, and P.S. The hanging things are called "Barnacles"

I did that too, it's very cool. Another ting that I noticed was that I couldn't affect enemie with the gravity gun, except antlions.
And I like it when I find those cans filled with paint so I can paint the enemies white before I kill them. And playing the catch game with DOG was fun too. I know there are a lot more things but it's too much to remember. But that doesn't matter. After I finish the game I start again.

Yeah, the barrel-barnacle thing was too cool the first time I did it. I haven't played but a few hours yet, but so far the coolest thing was probably early in the game, before Gordon even had a weapon, I beat a scanner to death with an empty barrel. Damn thing was annoying me :p

Yeah, the barrel-barnacle thing was too cool the first time I did it. I haven't played but a few hours yet, but so far the coolest thing was probably early in the game, before Gordon even had a weapon, I beat a scanner to death with an empty barrel. Damn thing was annoying me :p

Pinning dead soldiers to the walls with the crossbow, Jesus style.

In the beginning: I collected most ithems in the two appartments in the bath tub. :E

In Ravenholm there are those spinning blades on the engines. One of them came off so I picked it up and started killing zombies by the dozens with it. One time I turned around and saw a zombie coming up from behind so I shot it at him. One of the edges hit the side of a wall right next to me which made the blade start to spin. It spun around pretty fast and cut my head off. On the death screen I could see my gibs in front of me. :) I loaded the save point and did it again just for fun.

In 'water hazard, right before the burning tanker, where behind you there is an APC. There is a ledge on the left side that you can use two barrels on top of each other to get up onto the ledge. A place you should not be able to reach since the top of the ledge is not rendered! You can run around all over the tops of the canals and reach areas the programmers never intended. Just wish I had a weapon this early to take on the APC! Also if a barrel is on its side you can upright it by dropping over the edge of a rock and then grab it once it rolls.

I ran out of ammo in Ravenholm (I panicked every time I heard a poison headcrab, damn things freak me out no end), so I grabbed a saw blade and carried it with me through most of the level. When Father Grigori and I were in the cemetery, I lined all the zombies up and shot my saw blade through them all at the same time. My record was eight in a row.

And on an unrelated note, Father Grigori kicks all kinds of ass, and is my pick for Best Video Game Character Ever.

A strider crushed me with a car, once. Well, that was done to me, but it was still cool.

I have to say the most memorable thing I did with the grav gun was in Nova Prospekt. I liked the idea of the re-programmed sentry turret so much I carried one of them off with me after the first 'hold the base' encounter. Over that electrified water passage, and everything. I'd carefully set it down at every door before I opened it in case something would show up. This of course meant that I had four turrets instead of three at the next combine assault.

The physics just work in this game. The Source engine is the first engine I've seen that managed to get it absolutely flawless.

GorgeousOrifice said:
And on an unrelated note, Father Grigori kicks all kinds of ass, and is my pick for Best Video Game Character Ever.
I got a huge kick out of him, too. I haven't finished the game and I keep hoping he'll show back up.

Since all the paint buckets have white paint, and since it is obvious we are supposed to toss them at zombies, I wonder if someone at valve is a fan of White Zombie (I'm not).

Orgonomist said:
A strider crushed me with a car, once. Well, that was done to me, but it was still cool.

I have to say the most memorable thing I did with the grav gun was in Nova Prospekt. I liked the idea of the re-programmed sentry turret so much I carried one of them off with me after the first 'hold the base' encounter. Over that electrified water passage, and everything. I'd carefully set it down at every door before I opened it in case something would show up. This of course meant that I had four turrets instead of three at the next combine assault.

The physics just work in this game. The Source engine is the first engine I've seen that managed to get it absolutely flawless.

I carried my first one(unprogrammed) to the big momma antlion fight. When I reached the ''arena'' so to speak, I knew something was comnig so I set it on the ledge then jumped down. Unfortunately it took turns shooting both me and the alien.

Back