The Culprit!

LoneDeranger

Reaction score
In case you have been living in a cave for the past 2 hours, the person who posted the source on usenet has been found. Here is the mugshot and confession:

http://hl2world.com/modules/htmlarea/upload/admin_2.jpg

From CSM-Grim:
http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=13402940&page=2

sigh. i admit to posting it to usenet. that's all i did. i did not steal the code from valve offices, i got it from the same bittorrent that is being posted on slashdot here:
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=80813&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&threshold=0&mode=thread&com mentsort=0&op=Change

when i posted, i used my default identity of [email protected]. (shortened to stop spam bots.) this was a mistake, my actions were my own and not those of my clanmates or the server admins.

i have since deleted the source seeing as how i cannot code worth a damn. now please. stop blaming me, and go find the real idiot that did this.

thanks.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
In case you have been living in a cave for the past 2 hours, the person who posted the source on usenet has been found. Here is the mugshot and confession:

http://hl2world.com/modules/htmlarea/upload/admin_2.jpg

From CSM-Grim:
http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=13402940&page=2

no, he's not, IT was first spread via bit torrent, and I can tell you for a fact that quite a few people were using it on that (over 300+) so it just grows from that, valve is aware of it. (oh and on irc etc, at the same time it was baiscly exploding all over it, so that's a moot point, its like laying the blame on some one giving a link to a site that has it, sure its wrong, but he isnt the "source" thats who valve is digging for.

we are after the guy who hacked valve.... not this guy...

Eh, I'm thinkin it is somehow related to the ***** clan. Toy22 from the ***** clan was releasing those pics of the source code long before anyone knew that the source had been leaked. Even if toy wasn't the one that leaked it, it at least shows that it was firsted leaked through irc

Originally posted by TheWall421
Eh, I'm thinkin it is somehow related to the ***** clan. Toy22 from the ***** clan was releasing those pics of the source code long before anyone knew that the source had been leaked. Even if toy wasn't the one that leaked it, it at least shows that it was firsted leaked through irc
ding ding ding! see I agree there, didnt he say his "friend" sent those to him? hmm

like little puritan girls would say:

"He's a witch!"

burn em.

so was it on usenet first ? maybe he got it somewhere else and uploaded it to the usenet cause earlier today i was looking for it and i couldnt find it.

checked newzbin and its just been posted. look at the time this happend way after.

Half-Life 2 Source Code _CyRuSS_ 02-Oct-03 11:54 (13h)

Yeah he said he was getting it from a developer at valve. I don't know, he may have just found a leaked version before most other people. I don't know why he would be posting pics of it tho.....

move along, nothing to see here. thats not the guy we are looking for.

we are after??? MATT IS A VICIOUS KILLER WHO IS LOOKING FOR THE HACKER!! WATCHOUT

Re: Re: The Culprit!

Originally posted by shapeshifter
no, he's not, IT was first spread via bit torrent, and I can tell you for a fact that quite a few people were using it on that (over 300+) so it just grows from that, valve is aware of it. (oh and on irc etc, at the same time it was baiscly exploding all over it, so that's a moot point, its like laying the blame on some one giving a link to a site that has it, sure its wrong, but he isnt the "source" thats who valve is digging for.

He could try explaining all that to the guys in the prison shower ...

Re: Re: Re: The Culprit!

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
He could try explaining all that to the guys in the prison shower ...
yes well techincally valve could send you, or me or any one else that even posted a screenshot up on the fourms, or gave a link to a site that had it. quite a few people have done that on these fourms, but it was released onto bittorenet first.

Yeah, great. Go accuse people that did absolutely nothing and be ignorant.

yes well he helped nothing at all by posting a ****ing link to it, geezus. hes ****ed

Originally posted by EugeneF
Yeah, great. Go accuse people that did absolutely nothing and be ignorant.
I haven't accused any one of doing anything, unless your refering to LoneDeranger, I was just showing that valve could send any one to prison for the smallest thing like posting a screenshot of copyright code (which people have been doing) and that the person that stole it, uploaded it to bittorrent, that other guy was just the first to post it on usenet , from said bittorent file.

i think toy is a perfect ccanidate to be the hacker of the source code

ive been sort of "tracking him" on the steam forums and i saw that thread that he made that has the source in it

also he made a thread a while back about how this website updates its cs hacks everyday. so i got to the website, and look at one hack and it says created by toy.

this guy seems suspicious and i dont like him very much

Originally posted by hero
i think toy is a perfect ccanidate to be the hacker of the source code

ive been sort of "tracking him" on the steam forums and i saw that thread that he made that has the source in it

also he made a thread a while back about how this website updates its cs hacks everyday. so i got to the website, and look at one hack and it says created by toy.

this guy seems suspicious and i dont like him very much
yes he was one of the first to post image up, before it was even out (leaked) or at least widespread as it is now.

More proof

And no, I'm not accusing the guy. He confessed himself, which will be taken into consideration by the jury.

Yanno what's really gay about this whole ordeal?
1) There are going to be hacks for the game before the game comes out
2) This is probably going to cause the delay to last longer
3) Valve is going to lose money on trying to keep the code from spreading everywhere. Lawsuites will be abundant. The money that is lost in this fiasco will be money lost spent on development of HL3, and it is a guarantee that news of HL3 will not be released until they actually finish it and have it ready for Gold. That means we have to wait longer....
4) Suprises that were meant to be revealed in the game are shown and are no longer suprises

Hackers are gay. In the interest of keeping HL2 a good game, I ask you all to please delete the source file if you have it. I also urge you to report any sites that have the code available for download directly to Valve. Please keep HL2 fun and as hax free as possible.

Jesus christ, all he did was put it on usenet.

"Hackers are gay."

ono, so if I became a hacker, I would suddenly become attracted to men?

Re: ........

Originally posted by Dais
Jesus christ, all he did was put it on usenet.

"Hackers are gay."

ono, so if I became a hacker, I would suddenly become attracted to men?

Yes

i can't believe that @bel stole the HL2 icon from the source to make his avatar

Why are you so trying to defend the hacker? Are you trying to hide something?

Trying to hide something?

Yeah, your mother's in the closet, but I guess the cat's out of the bag, now.

And how the hell is he a hacker? Did he use hacking skills to download the torrent and upload the file? Or are there some magical posts of evidence that he is a haxor magician that I just can't see with my two eyes?

What he is is guilty of distributing or aiding int the distribution of stolen intellectual property. He is only slightly less guilty than the asshole that did steal it and since he seems to have had it before most others I would think questioning him might be a good idea. Personally if I was Valve I would have him prosecuted and then also sue hiss ass, but that just me.

Are you talking about grim or toy? If your talking about grim you lot dont half overreact. Uploading source code it just like uploading a game iso or a movie screener.

I appologize for publically stating that Grim was as close to the hacker as I had though. Things were happening so fast that I just wrote down what looked apparent, I didn't realize he found it from a website.

Originally posted by 82ross
Are you talking about grim or toy? If your talking about grim you lot dont half overreact. Uploading source code it just like uploading a game iso or a movie screener.

Actually if you think about it thats not entirely true. Posting a game that was bought is one thing, stealing 5 years of hard work and then distributing it is completely different.

Also Valve can probably prove damages in lost sales of product as well as probably lost licensing fees as some company may now choose not to license the source enginge since it has been compromised.

Just to clarify...

We are talking about the guy who uploaded a file that was already freely-****ing-available, correct?

Originally posted by Stryyder
What he is is guilty of distributing or aiding int the distribution of stolen intellectual property. He is only slightly less guilty than the asshole that did steal it

Anyone who downloaded it via bittorrent is guilty of the same thing.

I feel really bad for Valve i really do. Do you know how many people are downloading it off bit torrnet, kazaa, and IRC. There's no way valve can prosecute them all.

Gabe we are with you and im sure people are sending you links to all web sites that are carrying the source.

Re: Just to clarify...

Originally posted by Dais
We are talking about the guy who uploaded a file that was already freely-****ing-available, correct?

Yes, and he is guilty of soliciting the illegal distribution of private property that most likely had copywrights all over it. He did confess to distributing the files on the internet, but that still doesn't mean it's right. It is still very likely that Valve can and will file a lawsuite against him. I hope he has a good lawyer.

Back