The Freeman have no shadow

InstInct1085 said:
I think it's kind of ironic how everyone has accepted that you see gordon's arms holding his weapon, but not pressing a button or stearing a vehicle. It's kind of inconsistent.
I'm also glad that no game yet has gone the entire way with this, imagine having a blurry vision of your character's nose on screen al the time.
Because it's like that in every FPS ever so it's farely accepted

CS:S should have self-shadows. I don't care if you can't see your feet meeting with their respective shadows, they should have done it there. Unless the people at Valve wanted you to "be the terrorist bunny-hopping around and shooting hostages, not control one."

Pai-Mei said:
Although some modern games, like Halo2, give not only a shadow, but legs as well, I think Half-Life2 is trying to keep it with the Arcade-video game feel. You can also climb up a ladder backwards and walk around forever... I think it's just to give you a sense of both the fact that this IS a game, and it allows the player to psychologically "become" Gordon Freeman a lot easier.

One of the reasons that they didn't give Gordon a voice, cutscenes, or even a real past is to allow the player to take on the role of Gordon Freeman himself. It makes the game that much more immersive if there's nothing to remind you that its not actually you in the game.

Mostly true...

But I would like a shadow. I don't believe it would take away anything.

theres no sun to cast a shadow---its seems always dark...well...sumtimes

Back