The full truth about the beta

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Reaction score
Ok, finally the full truth about the contents beta. No, I won't tell you anything that's in the beta so don't worry about spoilers. This is just what to expect from the beta.

First off, there are about 15-20 maps included in the build. 2 or 3 don't work. And some of them were for testing purposes. There are a couple weapons you haven't seen in the E3 demos and such, and then there are a bunch you can get using the console. Most of those don't work but it adds up to a total af about 5-10 new weapons in the build. There is one new vehicle. I haven't seen it. Also there is a vehicle in this one map that once you get in, you can't get out. (Most likely unfinished) There is one other "vehicle" you can get in, and it is pretty much completed, but that's all I'm saying. There are two almost-completed "series" of maps, which were pretty reveiling. You have access to all the E3 demo maps as well. They ARE buggy and were clearly earlier compilations of the demos we saw from E3. Some of the maps reveal an impressive amount of storyline. There are some more things I want to say regarding this but I'm not sure I am allowed too, and I don't want this post deleted. Overall only including the maps that will actually be in the game there is about 1-2 hours of gameplay. 60-80 hours including playing around with every physical object in the game. Onto the monsters and such.

Well, first off, there are around 6 new monsters, 1 of which I highly doubt will be in the final game. Looked like it was just for testing. You beta players probably know what I'm talking about. But anyway, 2 of these monsters made me rip off my headphones and flip on the lights I got so freaking scared. It was the most dramatic moment I've ever experienced in any game. No joking here. About the NPC's. As said earlier, there is a command system with the NPC's. (Atleast the ones that actually fight.) I saw a "turret" being controlled by an enemy, but I could not control it.

About the physics. All the physics I expected to see were there. Including ragdoll and "blanket" physics, like the mattresses. I did see some new technoligy in the beta, physics-wise. I will not state them here. Most of the physics were not buggy.

My overall view of the beta was fairly good. It was worth getting IMO. However I do NOT recomend you get it. I wish I hadn't, too many spoilers. But it was fairly completed engine-wize, all they had left to do was make the rest of the maps and sounds and models and stuff. But that engine was practicaly done. Well, I can't really think of anything else to say, but if you want more info, just tell me and I will post more. I am anxious to see HL2 Valve, get the game out!

And one more thing, I currently do not have the beta installed on my machine, so don't arrests me. :p

My god! he is talking of the forbidden word, ban him!

I don't think this post should be deleted.
I think it helps destroying some misunderstandings about the beta, and clear things up it for the people who don't want to play the beta because of spoilers (like me)
But please, don't discuss the real content in detail.

So mods, it's up to you :)

First off, the "full" truth about the beta? well, for starters, it's NOT a beta. lol

Either way, [daniom], the stolen build is allowed to be discussed, as long as it doesn't give any spoilers, screens, how to obtain it/operate it.. etc.. you're allowed to discuss the technical aspects of it, or what it includes, as long as you don't spoil anything

Anyhow, I'd like to chime in on the topic here.

I'm alittle fuzzy as to why you say there are 15-20 maps, unless you're talking how many are linked together. There are over 70 .bsp files included in the stolen build.
In my experience, the few maps that gave anything away plot wise weren't horribly revealing. I guess it depends on the person, but, I didn't feel as though the game's plot was ruined for me. The stolen build didn't really connect, and most of it has nothing to do with the plot. There were a few things, however, that I wish I hadn't seen.

Regarding the weapons, 5-10 weapons is an understatement. There are atleast 15, probably 20 weapons you haven't seen or been told about. Most, I don't even know what look like (80% of the gun models were missing). I'm eagerly awaiting to see what all the weapons do.. certainly seems like a great array of weapons, the game will be loads of fun, definitely no lack of weaponry.

Monsters.. yeah, 6 or so sounds about right. As for being scared, I never got scared, per se, but.. there was one part in the stolen build that DID make me jump. This wasn't the same part that vegeta was speaking of, though. So, you can probably expect a few more parts in HL2 that'll make you jump (HL1.. headcrabs in the vents, anyone? :)). Vehicles.. yeah, he pretty much covered it. Although, the one vehicle he hadn't seen, was simply a myth.

I completely disagree about the physics. They are buggy beyond belief in the stolen build -- there are numerous ways to crash the game without even trying regarding physics. Other things get you stuck, or just plain take your FPS to hell.

I agree, though, the stolen build was like a giant demo, but, too revealing. I as well wish I hadn't played it, but I have. Don't get it, it'll be so much a sweeter experience once you play the final product. That's not to say the game has been TOTALLY ruined for me, I'm very much looking forward to a fully functional, non-laggy, beautiful HL2.. whenever it comes out, I'll be pumped.

I don't have the stolen build anymore, but, not so much because of legal reasons, more so I needed the harddrive space :) I wasn't playing it at all by the time I deleted it, anyway.

Edit: I do agree, the lower portion of your third paragraph should be edited out, vegeta. There's no reason to mention that, it's a spoiler.

So these 'blanket physics'... it's able to simulate cloth-like stuff being moved around realistically? Or am I a little off here... ?

Letters said:
So these 'blanket physics'... it's able to simulate cloth-like stuff being moved around realistically? Or am I a little off here... ?

I didn't see any cloth blowing in the wind, or anything to that effect.. I'm not sure if the matress is the best example, you can see it in traptown/the 800mb e3 video.. I'd be willing to bet that that's just a normal model that's had alot of joints put on it..

I could be wrong, has anyone ever asked VALVe if there will be cloth-physics in HL2?

This is actually allowed now Fenric... It doesn't actually breach any rules.

there are two working vehicles, dont know what you guys are yammering about, perhaps you dont know of the second (and no its not invisible.. it has a great wep, and no its not the buggy)
(also the monster count is closer to 20)

I'm not saying i have the alpha but alot of whats in the first post is wrong.

@Grimey - yea sure, you disagree but on something you say you know nothing about.

There is about 20 working maps, some are small and some are e3 maps thus bigger.

I dont see the point in this thread, is it saying we can talk about the beta?

"@Grimey - yea sure, you disagree but on something you say you know nothing about."

No, sorry, I didn't say that.

If you don't have the alpha - then you wouldn't know.

Actually he's pretty spot on.

The leaked build was definitely a pre-e3 build. It's crystal clear if you play the leaked version.
Ok, sure, in the console screen it says (26/09/03 - 4 days), but we're talking about a hacker here that had access to the source code. It'd be pretty easy to change that message to make it look like Valve have been lying to us.

The next is that a lot of the models aren't there.

A lot of the sounds aren't there.

A lot of the maps we've seen fully completed (e.g. Tunnels and the HDR demo) aren't there or aren't complete.

In Traptown if you bust open the vending machine, cans don't come shooting out. There also isn't a solider there either.

Animations are incomplete. A lot of the models have a constant jerking motion.

A lot of the e3 maps aren't complete. Demo play back doesn't work.

There's a problem in the buggy level where the alien gunship constantly gets itself stuck in the face of the cliff.

The G-Man demo isn't complete and neither is the second part of the tech demo where you're supposed to see the stained glass and other effects. In that part with the camera, headcrab and the g-man etc. where you're supposed to let the headcrab knock the camera over, pick up the camera with the manipulator and shoot it at the screen... G-Man dies as soon as the level starts, there is no camera, and you don't get given the manipulator.

The HDR rendering doesn't work properly and makes things look like plastic 10 times worse that Doom 3 makes things look like plastic.

I could go on all day - but I aint. That's the truth about the alpha, and that's why it's not the version as it was on the 26th September. I think we might see it this year... Q1 :)

Yeh because if the alpha isnt on my own personal computer its impossible for me to have played it.

Sorry maybe theres different versions floating around or something. I know theres at least 3 different doom3 leaks goin around, some with more content than others.

Chris_D said:
This is actually allowed now Fenric... It doesn't actually breach any rules.
Can't they keep it in the other thread then? Why did he feel the need to post the exact same post starting a new thread after he'd been told about it last time, and I believe had his post edited that time too.

This was decided on in IRC before this thread was removed.

well i wish i hadent read this thread.

even just talking about the weapons and monsters is technicaly spoilers.

Dougy said:
well i wish i hadent read this thread.

even just talking about the weapons and monsters is technicaly spoilers.
Added spoiler warning in the title... Sorry it wasn't in time to stop it ruining things for you :(

"In Traptown if you bust open the vending machine, cans don't come shooting out. There also isn't a solider there either." wrong, if you still have it walk up to the left handside of the window and press e on the blind twidling device then the guy spawns at the top of the stairs and then you can fire radiator at him and cans come bursting out. "A lot of the e3 maps aren't complete. Demo play back doesn't work." it does work sometimes as ive done it by accident. i dont keep the hl2 beta anymore either as it tempts me too much. either im stupid or it doesnt give that much away storywise. and from what i can remember 18 weapons, most are temporary or experiment weapons that wont be in the final build.

I have a question for you guys who have played the build, nothing spoiler wise but...

After playing the build, is it worth it? Will you buy it? Is all the hype going to be justified?

Innervision961 said:
After playing the build, is it worth it?

It's worth it, but I wouldn't recommend playing it because, well, now it's not going to be as magical. I wish I had never played it, TBH.

Innervision961 said:
Will you buy it? Is all the hype going to be justified?

I'll be at the store the day it comes out with cash in hand :)

Innervision961 said:
Is all the hype going to be justified?

I think so

Ok there AREN'T 20 NEW monsters in the beta. There are probably 20 monsters TOTAL but not the NEW ones. And I am insulted that this thread was deleted. And Mr. Redundant, I know of two other "things" you can get in besides the buggy. And Chris D, thankyou for bringing the topic back, and I don't really think it has spoilers... but anyway, most of the things we saw in the E3 demos were run with putting command lines in the console, you can't just play the maps. Thankyou to all the people that have contibuted to this Truth, and all who have supported us.

And what spoilers about the monsters and weapons? I just said how many new ones there were! Sheesh! I mention beta and everyone goes crazy without fully understanding my point.

Innervision961 said:
I have a question for you guys who have played the build, nothing spoiler wise but...

After playing the build, is it worth it? Will you buy it? Is all the hype going to be justified?

I definitely have to say it was worth it. It calmed my mind enough to get me through the wait we're still enduring - I mean, we were led to believe we'd be experiencing the full game in early October. When all hope of that was blown away, the beta was the next best thing. At the time I had an INCREDIBLE craving for physics in a game as it was before Max Payne 2 came out... I played around with the physics room much more than I played with any other BSP that came with the beta. I look at the pre-E3 as a physics demo - that's about all it was good for.

I don't think the build gave away too much storyline, as long as you avoid one particular map - Eli's Lab. I'm sure its all going to be revamped now anyway.

Did anyone notice the map with the little tag saying "Final Hydra Battle Here" or something to that effect? That just further reinforced for me the fact that the beta was just a broken shell of what we're going to experience with the full version. Of course I'll still buy it.

Let's just hope now that the AI is everything that Valve has promised us!

The thread got deleted because it was thought to be against the rules, it was cleared up, though.

As for the vehicles, I was just trying to clear up that the "other vehicle" vegeta was speaking of was a mythical vehicle in the stolen build

I'm not sure what you mean by them using the console in the E3 maps, though..

Woah woah woah there Non Sequitur!!! I don't want this topic deleted and you gave away some information there, some SPECIFICS. Edit that out now please. (3rd paragraph) And yes I saw that, there were lots of things like that.
And about the console, they ran scripts to make certain things happen in the E3 demos, like the strider coming in, and getting the manipulator and camera in the second tech demo.

AHHHH! What happened to my posts? I was just gonna edit it and it posted like 3 times? Please delete those admins.

vegeta897 said:
Woah woah woah there Non Sequitur!!! I don't want this post deleted and you gave away some information there, some SPECIFICS. Edit that out now please. (3rd paragraph) And yes I saw that, there were lots of things like that.

There's no specifics in that... I still have no idea what is going to happen. It was pretty much a blank area with blank textures. I knew from the minute that I saw the hydra in the videos that we'd be fighting it at some stage in the game. Hell, the Hydra doesn't make an appearance in the beta, so the pics and video that Valve released themselves ruined this for us already.

Non-Sequitur said:
There's no specifics in that... I still have no idea what is going to happen. It was pretty much a blank area with blank textures. I knew from the minute that I saw the hydra in the videos that we'd be fighting it at some stage in the game. Hell, the Hydra doesn't make an appearance in the beta, so the pics and video that Valve released themselves ruined this for us already.

"final hydra level" = spoiler.

Innervision961 said:

If your interested in the construction of games (like myself), rather than just games from a players viewpoint then I'd say that the build is worth obtaining, simply so you can get an insight into how the game has been put together.

If your just into playing them, then I'd avoid it, because it is very incomplete and subsequently from purely a players viewpoint, reasonably buggy. A lot of the early negative criticism of the build was very much from people trying to 'play' it, but when you assess the build as an indicator of the direction Valve are taking the gaming experience, it gives a very positive message.

Most certainly I'm going to buy it, and I think the hype is well justified. HL² is certainly not going to be another DX:IW (for a start the physics are way, way better).

In the stolen build, you can view the 3D models. Damn, Valve has done an amazing job. I did notice one thing about a few of the human models.

In HL2, as u guys have probably noticed from the bink vids and all, the character's ear's are in 3D (ie. not a flat side with an ear texture like most games). On viewing a few of the human models, I noticed that the ear texture is doubled. In the sense that the texture of the ear is present on the 3D ear (which is whats supposed to happen) and then the same texture is repeated at the rear side of the ear. It looks kinda weird. I hope Valve knows about this and plans on fixing it. I feel it's one of those bugs that we'll probably see even in the final build. :rolleyes:

Some non-spoiler questions: (and I think that one trigger-happy moderator was in the wrong -- the truth is far more acceptable than trying to needlessly lock threads just because they don't like them)

1) I've gathered that the A.I. isn't even present. Was any teammate A.I. present, and how was it? Any other cool things you noticed about enemy or teammate A.I. that don't relate to specific circumstances?

2) Were the almost-finished maps done well? Did they hold your attention?

3) Did you feel connected to the main characters at all?

4) Any huge surprises that you really felt happy about? (No need to tell us them.)

1) yes, there was enemy AI, but I dont think it was all of it. There would be parts where the enemy doesn't run, or hide behind things while being shot at by you, and they didnt run from antlions (not sure if they did in the e3 videos either). But most of it did seem present, if you shot a guy with a SMG, more guys would hear you and start shooting, so yea.

2) Alot of the maps distracted your attention, because theres big yellow or orange spots saying its missing a texture. The beta was missing alot.

3) There was too little to actually feel conected. There was no real story in the beta, just bits and peices.

4) Yes. :p

Again this is NOT something released by valve and shouldn'r really be thought of as HL2.. because its just too little, all it really shows off is the physics, nothing much other than that, some AI, weapons,... and spoilers which i wasn't to happy about.

Id say just wait it out. Wait until the REAL thing with all the REAL stuff is released, then you can judge ;)

Thanks for a good post, especially thank you for not revealing many details, just telling us the state of this copy.

Thnakyou again for your support. To answer those questions, although previously answered, yes, there was enemy and team AI, you could give them weapons, (already mentioned, not a spoiler) and they can give you ammo for weapons that you have none for. The almost finished maps DID hold my attention, not because of the bright textures, pfff, because of the team fighting with you, and the dynamic environment interaction, like I was drving along, and I would see something cool, thinking (Hmmm, I bet it would be cool if i threw that off a cliff :)) So yes there are many aspects that can hold any gamers attention, even in the beta. The main characters didn't make me really feel like I was there, because it's incomplete, but the looking at you with those eyes... very "new" feeling. Yes there were suprizes that made me think, wow! I didn't know I could do that! Or, man! I'm glad valve put that in there! Or something like that. Worth getting, but don't get it. Yeah.

Playing that build was really cool. As a MOD developer, I really enjoyed seeing how they have progressed during the long development of HL2. Nothing has disapointed me, I am more eager to get HL2 now! I really like to test games and find bugs so I liked to see how they made the maps etc... ( like the "50% reflection" on the walls :) , or the little floating sentences "Important Battle Here" ) I am eager to see how they will correct some bugs and remove/add stuff. Also, feeling the controls and playing with the physics helped me alot to find what will have to change/add/remove into my MOD. I was also very impressed by the requirements, it ran pretty well on my system (Athlon XP 2000+, Geforce4 Ti4200, 256 RAM ) for a build that is not fully optimised! It gave me alot of ideas for my MOD. I was REALLY impressed by Alyx's "little friend" :) So well done and I didn't know you could apply physics to a character like that! Alot of cool stuff with Source!

Alyx's "little friend" was cool, although not complete, it was pretty darn good looking. I guess everyone knows who it is, but I ain't gonna say it anyway. Also if you know who I'm talking about, I can't wait to see "Lammar" Or however you spell it. It's not a spoiler because you have no idea who Lammar is, so don't ban me. ;)

Vegeta, I don't mind this thread being here, but don't push the boundaries much further.

the beta was really neat. The only reason i got it was so that i can test out my new Graphic Card. And the graphics are sweet. But dont get it tho. Even if you have an old graphic card you cant see eyes, water and wires :(. The physics were awsome too, and alyxs "little friend" has already been mentiond from valve.

OMG Change your avatar Chris_D i cant type right,too funny

On past experience though, if we were to remove this thread again, despite it being acceptable in Munro's latest moderator guidelines, it would probably resurface because he would restore it.

It's not going too bad at the moment. I think a lot of people appreciate it.

To answer a few questions that have been asked from people that haven't touched the beta:
No it isn't worth downloading and yes the game will r0x0r j00r b0x0r

Back