the G-Man, elixir of life, or Alien....

B

bigun

Has anyone noticed that even though Gordon has been in stasis for a long time, and Eli Vance has become an old man in the meantime....the G-Man hasnt aged at all? Anyone have any theories explaining why maybe?

This is a moot question; There is no official line that Gordon has been in stasis (AFAIK, I could be wrong), and Vance isn't much different to what he looked like before (in terms of aging): http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/492/492830/img_1984524.html
The amount of grey hair he has is only a few years different (might have come on quicker than that because of stress during the BMRF incident), and he has grown a beard. Not much different.

In PC Gamer US, Gabe Newell says that it's been ten years since Black Mesa. I think the G-Man's visage is acceptable for a ten year time passage.

I heard the G-Man looked a lot younger in his HL High Definition Pack form, anyway. Haven't seen it myself, though.

Barney also doesn't look that much older, IMO. He aged very well, it would seem.

Yeah he did.
In fact, everyone looked younger, as a result of the facial skinning being less exaggerated, and less grey.
Barney got about thirty years younger. :)

question: what is he?

Oh wait, that was the wrong way round.

I do not think he's an alien.

I think the G-man's something bigger than just a human/alien, i reckon he's some sort of God, the creator of the matrix type of thing.

I think he's just a dude with his finger in the pie... or on the pulse... or whatever...

If he was some kind of super-human or super-alien, or hybrid, or cyborg, or WHATEVER, why would he be bothering with minutae like evaluating Freeman and Corporal Shepard for recruitment? I think he's just a regular government man, just with very advanced technology (hence his teleporting and apparent invulnerability).

I agree. He's just a "regular" government official who works for the administrator.

I say, "regular" with quotes because I think that his past has a lot of secrets that may or may not be revealed in HL2 (hopefully they will be). But I don't think the G-Man was just some guy who applied for a job and became a suit. That'd be too easy, and we've seen that the G-Man's employers have incredibly stringent requirements for recruitment into their ranks. Look what Freeman had to go through: G had to sponsor him to get into BMRF, AND he had to fend off an alien invasion, kill their grand poobah, get through the military, etc.

In addition to that, when the G-Man is talking to Adrian Shepherd aboard the osprey, he remarks something like, "I like to preserve people who win against all odds, if for no other reason than it reminds me of myself." Seems like perhaps the G-Man's gone through the same sort of ordeal as Freeman and Shepherd before, at least in some way. Might not have been against aliens, but who knows?

Which brings up another question: if Freeman has, indeed, been put into stasis, could the same thing have happened to the G-Man one or more times in the past? Maybe he's a lot older than even his looks suggest, if he was cryo-frozen or underwent some similar procedure.

he remarks something like, "I like to preserve people who win against all odds, if for no other reason than it reminds me of myself."

I think he's just being full of himself.

No, not really. You're probably right. Although when I first heard it I thought "what a twat."

Wasn't Shepherd dumped in some out of the way place on Xen? I wonder if we'll ever play as him again... or maybe meet him in HL2...

I think it was said before, somewhere in the Valve info thread, that Adrian and Race-X won't be reappearing in HL2. Maybe as another expansion pack. I assume Adrian died, though, or at least went insane. Ten years in Xen aboard an osprey without any company will probably do that to you.

Sulkdodds said:
I think he's just being full of himself.

No, not really. You're probably right. Although when I first heard it I thought "what a twat."

:LOL:

Yeah, maybe, but I'm inclined to believe he's got some serious bragging rights. Like he went around slapping aliens in the face with his briefcase, and stopped TWO invasions, or something. Also, in his day he probably had to walk a mile uphill in the snow, both ways, to get to BMRF.

If the G-Man didn't age at all...then why did he choose to stop "aging" at like about 60?
Why not 20?
And remember, the original Half-Life graphics weren't 'Unreal' stellar, maybe he was in his early 30's. After downloading the H-D pak for Half-Life, he looked pretty young.

If we can assume that the HL2 G-man is accurate to his age, he just looks like he's in his late forties. Also, I'd love to see an HL2 mod detailing just what the G-man has done to get his position....instead of a crowbar you get a briefcase.

... and probably a constitutional amendment or a court summons... and instead of the HEV, you get a lawsuit...

I remember hearing someone say that they thought that they had heard from the VALVe info thread that there would be no references to OP4... but I've never seen the original post... So for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

Besides, they've taken Blue Shift into consideration... Barney Calhoun's still with us... And talking, which makes me think that Sheperd might be a "talky" character if we meet him at some point...

Darkside55 said:
In addition to that, when the G-Man is talking to Adrian Shepherd aboard the osprey, he remarks something like, "I like to preserve people who win against all odds, if for no other reason than it reminds me of myself." Seems like perhaps the G-Man's gone through the same sort of ordeal as Freeman and Shepherd before, at least in some way. Might not have been against aliens, but who knows?

That's because Gman is gordon freeman in the future...

Gman is gordon freeman in the future
Nice to see that amongst the alien invasions and devestation of Earth, Gordon has had the time to dye his hair black and recieve laser eye surgery.
Lame theory without much substance, imo.

Good.

Law...suit. Law suit. Lawsuit. Oh, hah hah. ;)

Back