The G-Man

Esquire said:
Gman did say to Gordon, "I'll see you up ahead". From this i got the idea that Gman meant he'd see Gordon when he had caught up with him physically as in location (at first i thought the portal at the end of HL1 was time delayed, so gordon ended up on earth later than gman). But there is the possibility of the Gman meaning catch up in the more mental sense, as in find out what's going on in the world, and what your purpose is, and then we'll be at the same level.
I thought that was just to the audience of the video. More like 'You WILL play the game and meet eachother again'.

Aceallways said:
He is Gordon Freeman from the future. Don't believe me? Wait until you play it.
Yeah, have you noticed they both have green eyes... :thumbs:

But wouldn't Gman being an alien be almost as bad as Gman being Gordon's pops or Gordon himself? It'd be bad like one of those stories where at the end the character says "i woke up, it had all been a dream!"

Instead, Gman simply being a devious smeaky whatever-u-wanna-call-him human would be more interesting and more cerebral than him being an alien. Besides, we've already seen many an alien, we dont need to see any more.

Though, if the Gman is an alien idea was done well ( i dnt kno how), then it could work and i wouldnt be offended, but i cant see that happening.

I'm really hoping H-L2 surprises me with it's plot. My only idea of what Gman could be up to is that he is working for/with some people who have allowed the aliens (Xen) to come to Earth so that Earth is weakened and then Gman n co can take over the world and they need gordon to help do it. But that's just another crappy "madman takes over the world story". so **** knows.

Esquire said:
But wouldn't Gman being an alien be almost as bad as Gman being Gordon's pops or Gordon himself? It'd be bad like one of those stories where at the end the character says "i woke up, it had all been a dream!"

Instead, Gman simply being a devious smeaky whatever-u-wanna-call-him human would be more interesting and more cerebral than him being an alien. Besides, we've already seen many an alien, we dont need to see any more.

Though, if the Gman is an alien idea was done well ( i dnt kno how), then it could work and i wouldnt be offended, but i cant see that happening.

I'm really hoping H-L2 surprises me with it's plot. My only idea of what Gman could be up to is that he is working for/with some people who have allowed the aliens (Xen) to come to Earth so that Earth is weakened and then Gman n co can take over the world and they need gordon to help do it. But that's just another crappy "madman takes over the world story". so **** knows.

The problem is that everything so far points to him NOT being human. At least not a human from that time period/dimension.

And the other problem is that you and others would apparently be disappointed with practically any explanation of the G-Man. OMG G-MAN IS AN ALIEN HOW CLICHED. OMG G-MAN IS GORDON FREEMAN HOW STUPID IS THAT. OMG G-MAN WANTS TO CONTROL THE WORLD THAT'S DUMB.

Can you not just trust the writer? I don't have a problem with any of those above possibilities, so long as it's done effectively and satisfies me.

Why would the Gman have to be an ailien?! He probably just works for them... I mean, does he look like an alien to you?!

gman stands for government man.

dont belive me?? check in the opfor manual!

Teta_Bonita said:
Why would the Gman have to be an ailien?! He probably just works for them... I mean, does he look like an alien to you?!

"The problem is that everything so far points to him NOT being human. At least not a human from that time period/dimension."

:\

In any case, he does not necessarily look alien. Then again, neither do the Combine.

Just because he doesn't look like an alien doesn't mean he isn't one. His speech, his ability to teleport himself and others with ease, his relative comfort with the paranormal, and his cryptic messages do have me leaning towards the possibility of him being extra-terrestrial. And, as I said before, there's the Nihilanth line.

If he worked for the ****ing government, then he'd be out with it already, if you ask me. Instead, he tends to be hesitant whenever he references his "employers". If his allusions are to (DUN DUN DUN) the government, then it's rather stupid. That particular kind of revelation certainly doesn't warrant the kind of secrecy it's been regarded with.

First off, from everything been said, he isn't with the goverment...that isn't to say he isn't human, he could just be with some small group that know way more then the goverment.

And as for what the G stands for, I think it's obvious it's (G)ordon's Man :p

I don't think we've seen the Combine yet, only their Overwatch soldiers.

And the G-Man actually looks pretty weird if you stare at him long enough. He looks like he wasn't put together quite right. I'm pretty sure his eyes are even on slightly different levels. Which isn't actually unusual in humans, but it seems particularly exaggerrated in his case.

Oh and I think the first thing he will say will probably be along the lines of "We've been rather busy in your absence Mr.Freeman"

Maybe....he is an Illuminati !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Valve gave him some important role in part two...

or else this whole thread wouldnt be good for anything...

but I really want to thank all of you for posting and answering my

questions as far as possible... at least everyone can see now that theres a lot going to happen...

Keep going!! :D

You know the guy that was in the forgotten? That's the G-Man.

The link in my sig says it all.
(It is a joke BTW (Not the gold part))

Here's what I think...

Absinthe said:
1.) He does not sound human.

2.) The G-Man obviously has great control over teleportation. Are you going to tell me that he himself has the perfected technology for teleportation when Black Mesa itself is still doing research on it?

3.) Are you also going to tell me that a mere government employee is going to be able to frolick freely around a hellish and dangerous Black Mesa complex unarmed without even taking notice from the aliens?

4.) If he works for the government and can infilitrate and move around Black Mesa so easily, then why would they need to send in troops and Black Ops?

5.) The Nihilanth comment. I'm positive that it's in reference to the G-Man, seeing as how you finally meet him after defeating Nihilanth. In the progression and context of the game, it only makes sense.

6.) Putting Gordon into stasis for how many years? It smacks me of alien. If he was under government possesion Surely they can put a brilliant scientist/ass-kicker to better use during that time, no?

7.)And there are a slew of other things as well, including the train ride through that space-like environment by the end of the first Half-Life, and the Osprey on Xen that Adrian is placed on. Again, it smacks me of alien.

8.)If it turns out that the G-Man is in fact a government employee, then I will be completely shocked. But I doubt it will turn out that way.

1)Someone has to do his voice, man... Someone sounds like him.

2)If he's from the future he can control the technology they are learning in the past...

3)Yeah, actually I am. Somehow he always "gets away". Remember he's got those teleports!

4)The G-mans objective is not to get rid of the aliens. I think that he's only there to watch himself... He has a fondness for survivors, remember? Plus, he wants to change the future a little (more on that later).

5)Nihilanth comment? About how G-man isn't human? If this is what you mean, I think that further convinces me G-man is you (us/me/whatever). Nihilanth doesn't understand how one person standing in front of him can actually be two entities. One of them must be fake, right? So one is human, one is not. You do all the damage to Nihalanth, so you must be the human (G-man just watches...)

6)Sorry, no. If my theory is correct, G-man "saved" you just for this moment. He obviously thinks that NOW is the time to rid the aliens...

7)I don't remember the ospray, but obviously G-man can fly around in space... He's got control over other future technologies, why not that one?

8)I wont be shocked, ('cause I think it's true) but I will be pissed...

f|uke said:
Gman is not Gordon. Its impossible. Absolutly impossible. I'm not even going to bother with spoiler tags the idea is so f'n stupid.

1) Gman saved Gordon from the fire at the end of HL1, by teleporting him away from Nihiliths lair. This is technically impossible if he was Gordon from the future, because he would not have survived the incident in the first place in order to live on and come back and save himself.

2) GMan has Gordon killed if he doesn't agree to work with him. Kill his past self? Not bloodly likely.

3) You are Gordon,. so how are you supposed to believe that GMan is you?!

4)Oh, and HL2 will start as HL1 did. The curtain will rise, and it will fade in from black. No music or build up,. just straight into consciousness.
Maybe some narrative text, and most likely in the presense of GMan.

1)I don't think G-man actually saved you. There are other portals, you just have to make it to one. I think you are able to survive on your own, but perhaps you loose something that makes it difficult for you to fight. This is why G-man comes and helps you to make it through easier. He knows that he is a survivor...

2)No, not likely. But you didn't choose that one did you? If you did, you can't play HL2, 'cause you're dead. I know we all saved before we jumped, and reloaded to find out what happens if we don't (or visa versa), but if you decided that you like the death ending, you can't play HL2.
Plus, G-man knows what you'll decide, you're a survivor, you want to live. He knows you wont choose to die.

3)You survived a lot, I know, it's hard to comprehend, especially after fighting for so long... Just take some time, relax, let it sink in.

4)Yeah, I think so too. There will be no cinematic of you coming out of a tube (Halo)...

-------

I'm just putting my thoughts down... I (long ago) thought to myself what if G-man is you? From the future, or maybe just a representation of you (from the future). I have been thinking about it for a long time. Then I notice eye's are the same (no one else has green eyes, they're always brown...) the shape of the face and nose is the same... He's definately about 15-20 years older (slightly grey hair and a bit darker)... Then all them stinking rumors and spoilers (friggen maggots) kinda sealed the coffin. My problem is that they "cheated" and peaked instead of thinking for themselves...

This is not a flaming post... Just some of my thoughts, what are yours?

HolySdrJR said:
1)Someone has to do his voice, man... Someone sounds like him.

Somebody voice acts him. The same person who does Barney, in fact.

I was referring to his pauses, the way he draws out "S" sounds, and the way he always seems to be choking when he speaks. In no way does it sound natural.

2)If he's from the future he can control the technology they are learning in the past...

Questionable. If he's from the future and he's altering the past, then he risks destroying himself. After all, if he's changed the future, then he has no reason to be in Black Mesa, and... Urk, time travel is ****ing confusing.

3)Yeah, actually I am. Somehow he always "gets away". Remember he's got those teleports!

No shit. My emphasis was on him being a mere government employee.

4)The G-mans objective is not to get rid of the aliens. I think that he's only there to watch himself... He has a fondness for survivors, remember? Plus, he wants to change the future a little (more on that later).

He has more part in Black Mesa than you'd realize. He was monitoring Adrian Shepard during Boot Camp. Mere coincidence that both of these characters met once more at Black Mesa? Or how about the fact that he personally armed the nuke that the BlackOps failed to set off?

5)Nihilanth comment? About how G-man isn't human? If this is what you mean, I think that further convinces me G-man is you (us/me/whatever). Nihilanth doesn't understand how one person standing in front of him can actually be two entities. One of them must be fake, right? So one is human, one is not. You do all the damage to Nihalanth, so you must be the human (G-man just watches...)

Possible. But even you have to admit that you're stretching quite a bit.

Actually, I find it unlikely. If he is your future self, then why would he execute you for not joining him? Theoretically, he would also die. Chances are, the G-Man is not you.

6)Sorry, no. If my theory is correct, G-man "saved" you just for this moment. He obviously thinks that NOW is the time to rid the aliens...

My comment was against the idea of G-Man being a government employee. And if I was the government, I'd have him kicking alien ass AS SOON as shit started hitting the fan worldwide. There's no plausible reason for the world governments to WAIT to be destroyed and ONLY THEN release Freeman.

I'm not entirely sure if you're arguing for G-Man being a government employee.

7)I don't remember the ospray, but obviously G-man can fly around in space... He's got control over other future technologies, why not that one?

I'm not entirely sure if you understand what I was even arguing about.

2)No, not likely. But you didn't choose that one did you? If you did, you can't play HL2, 'cause you're dead. I know we all saved before we jumped, and reloaded to find out what happens if we don't (or visa versa), but if you decided that you like the death ending, you can't play HL2.
Plus, G-man knows what you'll decide, you're a survivor, you want to live. He knows you wont choose to die.

But you CAN choose to die. Furthermore, you know that the G-Man would have killed you had you not joined him. Just because you didn't make that choice according to Half-Life 2 doesn't mean that the alternative was still a very real possibility.

Then all them stinking rumors and spoilers (friggen maggots) kinda sealed the coffin. My problem is that they "cheated" and peaked instead of thinking for themselves...

Those rumors have been said to be fake.

Kel Thuzad said:
uff...this thread is too much
Agreed. From mere to Prison Rape jokes to flame wars. What has this world come to?

Hmmmm in blue shift there is a neuclear bomb on a tank that you must diffuse and then go all the way around to another room with a window looking at the diffused bomb, only to see the G-Man re-activate it. Also in Blue Shift (i think this one) you see a zombie in front of a flashing TV, he is in a seizure. what would be cool is if you could get a big strobe light and put all the zombies into seizures and just walk around them to get to something more worthy of your bullets.

Am I the only one who would like to split G-Man open with the crowbar, in the first one, you could put on noclip and hit him but he appeared to be shielded in some way. Maybe Gman is the one who will get stuck in the prison and get raped. Also i think with all the the radiation, and that little thing in the phsyche video, i think gordon will die at the end. It says something about muscular degeneration, a 30 ml sample of something, alpha activity, and a seizure.

Xrenity said:
I thought that was just to the audience of the video. More like 'You WILL play the game and meet eachother again'.

Nah he also said this "see you up ahead" business at the end of Hl1.

Back onto Gman's job and Gordon's job...

I get the idea that Gman's employees are indescribable. Remember how he struggled to identify them to Gordon at the end of Hl2... his hesitation when he said "employees". Also, pay attention to the plurality of it, He has more than one employee.

The fact that gangsta-man cant describe his employees suggest that they are of some form Gordon cannot comprehend or they are people/something Gordon doesnt need to know about yet.

Gman seems to be a negotiator or a business man. He was sent into BMRF to keep an eye on things and to make sure everything went according to plan. When things ended balls up, Gman went about his business and cleared up the mess. Gordon helped a fair bit with this since he took care of Nihilanth, so Gman hired him (Why let such potential go when you can have the person who holds it as a powerful tool in your organization instead?).

Most people on this forum go on about how mysterious the gman is... and i agree he is... but when he finally spoke to us at the end of hl1, the focus was not on him, it was on his employees. When he struggled to find the best way of describing them, portraying them in a way Gordon could understand, he hesitated, and made them stand out markedly.

I understand that we really have no info on Gman's employees, but for me they are way more intriguing and mysterious than Gman.

If we are indeed on Earth, and it has been overrun by alien forces, then my only idea for the function of Gordon is as a part of a cleanup squad (or simply a 1man cleanup).

Gman puts gordon on a path where he'll end up meetin his old homies and together the scientists find a way to repel the combine and/or aliens.

I dont like this idea, because i'd expect my manager to be frantic when telling me that the business is in trouble and he needs my help to sort it out. But instead, Gman seemed to be revelling in it.. "wake up and smell the ashes", The guy sounded turned on!

So yeah, Gman, enjoying the destruction and rape of planet earth.. i cant be bothered continuing this.

BTW, shouldnt this thread be in 'rumours and speculation'?!

Mr.Headcrab said:
Hmmmm in blue shift there is a neuclear bomb on a tank that you must diffuse and then go all the way around to another room with a window looking at the diffused bomb, only to see the G-Man re-activate it. Also in Blue Shift (i think this one) you see a zombie in front of a flashing TV, he is in a seizure. what would be cool is if you could get a big strobe light and put all the zombies into seizures and just walk around them to get to something more worthy of your bullets.

The nuke was in OpFor and the seizuring zombie from the screen strobe like light flash was in the start of Half Life

Absinthe said:
Possible. But even you have to admit that you're stretching quite a bit.

I'll admit that I stretched a whole lot on almost all of it :thumbs:

I just figured everything out. the Gman is a reptilian. :p

reasons:
-holds a high power position
-his eyes and voice
-bullets and stuff con't affect him
-can teleport from and to anywhere even without teleport machines around

It fits perfectly with the "theories" that describe reptilian aliens :p

Back