The G-Man's Employers

P

Paradoxy

The G-Man's Employers:

The Combine are aware of the G-Man's organisation. You've got to wonder what relationship they have with it: Is it a threat to The Combine? A rival player/empire? I don't think so - all the talk of contracts, bidders, and employment, there's the strong impression that this is business, that the G-Man's organisation is a for-profit organisation of time-manipulators; offering their services to a pan-dimensional pan-temporal market. The entire Half-Life 2 story is an example of how their business works. It's Determinsim - they are able to speculate all the factors and find out the most expedient means to get something done - The Right Man, In The Wrong Place, Can Make All The Difference In The World. All they had to do was insert a certain individual in a certain place at a certain time and events would proceed from there which would achieve the desired ends.

Is The G-Man Human?

I think the G-Man himself IS human, although I will be interested to see if his organisation is a human one as well. If it is, this opens up the interesting idea that, at some time, somewhere, in some dimension or state of existence, humans are technologically embued with the power to toy with time and space. And yet of course, naturally, they still pursue what human society does best: capitalism and offering their values and service for gain - in this particular case the fascinating product they offering is the chance to buy the past or future, changing events along the causal timelines to get desired consequences. If a person can own belongings, or land, or intellectual ideas, why can't a person buy past and future states of events?

If The Organisation IS Human:

Why shouldn't this organisation feel any loyalty to the humans suffering under the Combine? Surely they could have routed the combine before this ever began? Why didn't they? One could ask the same question for ALL the people throughout human history suffering under slavery, dictators, genocides, famines, climate changes and wars. They must treat the history of human suffering amorally and as a commodity, just as for example a meat industry must treat the lives of animals amorally and as a commodity. In Half-Life 2, a particular set of events has been pruchased, and this organisation simply uses the most expedient method to get the job done, and considering their powers to manipulate and forecast the causes and consequences of events - they are able to tell when the right man in the wrong place will make all the difference, whatever that difference turns out to be.

Welcome Paradoxy. Moved post to correct forum. I don't think Gman is human.

G-Man is freelance, and considers Gordon to be part of the package of services he provides.

Someone hired the G-Man to eliminate the Cominbe in City 17, who as such used the resources he had, Gordon

G-Man is not human

This is conjecture btw

Welcome to the forums, first off.

I like the way you presented your theory. In fact I'd be inclined to agree with it if there weren't some outstanding facts that run counter to it, or at the very least need to be taken into account.

The first is that you have to remember the G-man's words at the end of Half-Life 2; specifically, there were offers for Gordon's services that he ordinarily would not contemplate. This implies that there are some limits to which offers are made, certain parties that he would not have loaned Gordon out to under any circumstances. Were the G-man part of a pure for-profit organization then there would be no offer they would not consider as long as the bid was sufficient. However, the G-man's words imply that they have standards, and perhaps an agenda with which they use their power.

Secondly, it's entirely conjecture that the rebels paid anything for Gordon Freeman. While Dr. Breen mentioned that he was up for bid, we don't know at what time Gordon's contract with the rebels was up or if the G-man even had a contract with them. That is to say, if the G-man started listening to "interesting offers" during the course of Gordon Freeman's work in City 17, he could've only then started putting his services up for auction. Nothing really suggests that the rebels purchased him...in fact there's counter evidence to that, although it may no longer be canon.

Third, bringing up the agenda again, I must staunchly cling to a comment made in the G-man's NPC code that reads, "//misunderstood savior of humanity." Again, this implies that at least the G-man--if not his employers--has a very specific purpose. Before the climactic events in City 17, then, all offers made on Gordon Freeman must have followed a specific ideal, been for a goal that would in some way benefit mankind. And while it's arguable that Gordon's contract COULD have been offered between the rebels and the Combine, as both view their own way as beneficial to man, the rebels for whatever reason won out. I choose to believe that Gordon would never have been offered to the Combine, as their way--while securing mankind's future and guaranteed immortality--would have destroyed humanity in all but biological data.

Also, G-man IS human. Samon, Evo, you make baby Gordon Freeman cry. :p

"You are man...he is not man...for you he waits...for you..."

Enough said.

There's nothing linking that to the G-man. In fact the only time I have ever heard the Nihilanth say that IN-GAME is if you are teleported a third (or fourth?) time to an underground cavern where there is a gargantua waiting for you (one of those times it's the same area but there is an ichthyosaur instead).

People have attached that line to the G-man after hearing it in the pak0.pak file and it's always stuck with him. But there's never been any in-game link. Quite the opposite. :)

He isn't human Dark. Don't be stubborn. Move on. Also, the line is obviously talking about Gman. :p

Conjecture! And also, what reason would a non-human have to save humanity? He's a man, I tell you! A MAN!

Also telling me not to be stubborn is like telling me not to breathe. G-man is human! Dr. Breen is alive! The Combine were right! Race-X was on Xen! Otis ate the last donut!

He doesn't want to save humanity! That just falls into his agenda by sheer chance!

I must staunchly cling to a comment made in the G-man's NPC code that reads, "//misunderstood savior of humanity."
"Misunderstood servant of the people", IIRC

Right. I've said it so many times I've forgotten what it is, haha. How is that possible? I guess it's because I haven't had to say it in a month or so. ;) Thank you for the correction.

Darkside, when you prove that a human can brave a facility fallling appart, riddled with aliens and soldiers wearing a suit, tie, carrying a briefcase and walking where no sane person would, then I'll believe you.

G-Man, for obvious reasons, cannot be human.

As for the line... people, not humans.

...Gordon Freeman can do it. You can play HL without the HEV suit, which means Gordon's simply in his lab uniform. :p

Besides we know a few things: the soldiers don't attack G-man, having received orders from him or at least acknowledging him as a person who is not to be harmed.

The G-man can manipulate time and space. This keeps him out of harm's way. Also notice that he is never DIRECTLY in harm's way throughout the game.

Servant of the people. Right. But which people?

the chance to buy the past or future, changing events along the causal timelines to get desired consequences
This idea makes great story-sense. How else would there -always- be some door, some bent fence, some hole in the wall that Gordon can just fit through to get where he needs to go? I've always wanted there to be a good explanation for that beyond "it's just a game".

Besides we know a few things: the soldiers don't attack G-man, having received orders from him or at least acknowledging him as a person who is not to be harmed.
They don't see him. He's invisible.

They don't see him. He's invisible.
Where'd you get that idea? :p

They see him. Check your Opposing Force manual. Oh, they see him alright. Plus everyone else sees him, even in HL. He's seen on a tram with a scientist in the beginning, and also arguing with another scientist in Sector C.

I beleave GMan is an alien. I agreed with you Darkside55 until I reread my guide; note "as if he is not quite confortable with human speech". This is a major hint that suggests that he is not human. While it could be Marc
Laidlaw messing with us, there would be little point and would only fustrate the fans.
That quote was one quote from the SDK, and while it is canon (not saying its not) it has little "value" (if you know what I mean) in the grand scheme of things compared to the evidence he is alien. If he is a human agent then why did we lose the 7-hour-war? We could have just bent time and space and wtfpwnd their citadels. We could teleport to Xen (theres no proof the combine are actually on Xen) and as someone pointed out earlier, that quote doesn't suggest which people he serves...

Opposing Force manual: not canon.

But but...the canon...those long arguments...Op4 didn't happen?...I don't know what to say except **** YEAH HAVE THAT SHEPARD YOU BASTARD HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Where'd you get that idea? :p

They see him. Check your Opposing Force manual. Oh, they see him alright. Plus everyone else sees him, even in HL. He's seen on a tram with a scientist in the beginning, and also arguing with another scientist in Sector C.

The soldiers in the evacuation OSPREY didn't see Gman.
The scientist in the tram didn't show he saw him.
And besides, a lot of Xen aliens don't attack him, which they should.

The soldiers in the evacuation OSPREY didn't see Gman.
The scientist in the tram didn't show he saw him.
And besides, a lot of Xen aliens don't attack him, which they should.

Aye, he clearly can make himself known to however he wants OR he has some pwoer over the creatures (though the latter isn't to likely). The overwatch ignore him as well.

Opposing Force manual: not canon.
Canon, except for things that go against canon. Remember what Laidlaw said? It's canon unless it conflicts with something. That being said, Marc also said he never pays attention to the expansion packs when he's writing for HL. :LOL:

Of the line in the Prima guide, it's just there to mess with us. I'm sure of it. Reason being, those words were something fans came up with after Half-Life. Before anyone even knew about Half-Life 2 being in development people were saying, "Listen to how he sounds, he can't be human." And if you're a writer and you want to keep people on the edge what better way to confuse them than to throw a bone to an already-existing theory? It's the same with using "interdimensional bureaucrat" on the Episode 1 site. Neither of those specifically say he's an alien, but they're certainly fuel for the fire. And I already have my own little theory about that precise wording from the EpOne site (had it long before, but the way it's phrased lends more credence to the theory).

No, the only thing that I would ever question the meaning behind is the fact that you can't kill the G-man. And while that was originally just plot armor (in the most literal sense), there was a recent interview where someone, I forget who, said, "If you can't kill him what does that mean about his character?" That's the only curious bit of information I've ever heard that drops my 100% belief that he's human down a few notches.

Also, with regards to invisibility:

1. Scientist on tram had no reason to acknowledge him
2. Other scientists repeatedly mention the G-man's presence
3. What Xen aliens? I don't recall EVER seeing any aliens around that should have attacked him. He was always well out of harm's way.
4. Same goes for the Overwatch. Overwatch never sees him.

Aye, the guide aknolodges his invincibility as well, in the canals section.
As for the human-alien argument, I know Valve toy with us all the time but pratically saying something (and have been since the gmans intro in HL) - I'm reffering to the alien thing of course - and then saying something later would fustrate me a lot. Maybe thats just me though.

Right now we're all assuming that the G-man's identity will be revealed to us at some point it the future, when it might never be.

So it all becomes moot. :p

Its quite amazing how Half Life and Half Life 2 can cause such arguments about the storyline.

It's a wee bit off topic, but Combine actually attack Gman.

It's a wee bit off topic, but Combine actually attack Gman.
GMan's just not on the same "team", codewise, as anyone else, so anything that has a "rarr kill everything that's not my team"-type AI (e.g. Combine, headcrabs, etc.) will go after him.

3. What Xen aliens? I don't recall EVER seeing any aliens around that should have attacked him. He was always well out of harm's way.
Actually, in the Nova Prospekt moniter sighting you can sometimes see antlions running past the g-man in the background.

Now, on to my theories. I think that the g-man is not human and that he is a mercinary. He takes a contract and does whatever it takes to fufil it. In HL1, the Combine were his employers, his objective: Sieze Xen. He also took this oppertunity to hire Gordon. In HL2 his probable employers are the Vortigaunts/Resistance.

If the gman isnt human then what is he?
A robot?
A shape shifting alien?
An alien wearing a human's skin? (like men in black 1)

no im sorry these are all pretty preposterous, we already know teleportation is a very real thing in the half life universe - so the gman being a man with some mobile teleportation technology is a very real possibility

At least we have avoided saying Gman = God or Gman= Gordon from the future etc.

Maybe he's just not quite comfortable with English.

He speaks Chinese well enough.

You guys cling to that line too hard. You really think Valve's going to come out and say, "...as if he's not comfortable with human speech WINK WINK NOD NOD JABBING YOU WITH MY ELBOW KNOW WHAT I MEAN?" Pretty poor storytelling. We're talking about a bunch of designers who withhold information like it was precious gold, and they're going to come right out and drop a bomb like that long before the story's climax? Because make no mistake, Half-Life will either climax with the revelation of the G-man and his employers or it's going to be such a pivotal moment that they're going to want to snap it out there at you. Like, "BANG this is what it is!" not "Let's drop a bunch of hints leading up to it."

I mean maybe I'm just going a bit far and interpreting it how I think it should be, but I'm an avid reader and writing's my passion. I know how a story should unfold. I know the elements of setting up something like that...and if you want to get people off their guard you're going to be throwing them misinformation. And it isn't going to be labeled as such, you're going to be playing to something people already believe (like I mentioned in my previous post). That's illusion right there...the magician gets you to focus on his left hand while he's palming the card in his right.

Maybe he will turn out to be an alien or a robot or some kinda "thing" wearing a man's skin. I can't say for certain. But I'm telling you guys...don't trust little bits of information like that. Right now, from all we've seen, he's a man with a speech impediment. All that talk of host bodies and unfamiliarity with the nuances of human speech, that's drawing your eye. That's just a real clever way for the writer to say, "Hey, look over here. Over here. Right here, there we go." And for the time being, I'm not buying it.

You say that, yet you cling so tightly to this.

"//misunderstood savior of humanity."

I'm not clinging to the "speech" line, I'm simply using it as evidence. For instance, lines such as this.

The victory is short-lived, however. Gordon's heroics catch the attention of a sinister interdimensional bureaucrat.

I find it obvious that Gman is not human, looking at all the clues and hints throughout the game.

An interdimensonal bureaucrat could easily be human.

Bureaucrat is a human word after all...

Back