The game HAS to go gold next week

-> Fake: http://www.pushicon.com/hl2/hl2news.htm

"Half-Life 2: GOLD!
Vivendi is pleased to announce that Half-Life 2, sequel to the award winning game "Half Life", has officially gone GOLD! The shipping date is set for November 22, 2004. It will reach stores on November 23. The date for the UK release is December 1. It will retail at $55.99 USD. A collectors edition will be sold, with a DVD of extra features, for $70 USD. It will also be available for digital purchase via Steam, at $49.99."

:flame: :flame: :flame: That sucks!!!

No matter when HL2 will be released, people will buy it anyway no matter what they say now; "AArgh I hate Valve, Im not gonna buy HL2 because Im so disappointed" blablabla..

What happens if retailers get the game and start selling it ahead of the release date (say 3 - 4 days), will we get the game on Steam the moment it's shipped or will we have to wait those 3-4 days until the official release date? (i realise no one can really answer this, just wanted to get you thinking)

Retailers shouldn't sell the game before release date, if they do. where?

Best Buy did it with doom3...then got in trouble..like $200-$300 dollar fine per copy sold before its time

Am I missing something? How does releasing CS:Source next week force VU's hand?

Valve cannot release HL2 until it is available on retail shelves. If I buy CS:S via steam, I don't have to be playing HL2 for x months, until VU releases the game, correct?

it seems that valve's playin' a chess game with Vivendi at this time Vu's King is in bad shape ...

mwawahaaahaaa we'll get Half life 2 soon i feel it ...

yattaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aedi said:
Am I missing something? How does releasing CS:Source next week force VU's hand?

Valve cannot release HL2 until it is available on retail shelves. If I buy CS:S via steam, I don't have to be playing HL2 for x months, until VU releases the game, correct?

Correct, but you will have bought HL2, CS:S through Steam and not off the shelf meaning VU have lost the %ge of your purchase they would have got if you purchased off the shelf.

By releasing CS:S first via Steam, to be able to play it, you would have to buy the package through Steam therefore if VU delays the production of HL2 to the shelf, they will lose out on a lot of prospective sales.

yes u r missing something.

a) people can buy hl2 through steam and play cs:s next week, if ppl buy it retail they cant play cs:s until hl2 comes out (could be 6 months)

b) the steam packages offer more than the retail packages.

taking this into account, more people ( i have ) will switch from retail to steam in order to either get the steam packages or so they can play cs:s next week. this will take money away from vivendi as sales through steam go straight to valve. so if vivendi are smart they will get this game on the shelves asap as more and more ppl will switch to steam

:)

Vormulac said:
Correct, but you will have bought HL2, CS:S through Steam and not off the shelf meaning VU have lost the %ge of your purchase they would have got if you purchased off the shelf.

By releasing CS:S first via Steam, to be able to play it, you would have to buy the package through Steam therefore if VU delays the production of HL2 to the shelf, they will lose out on a lot of prospective sales.

Makes sense. Nice move Valve. Thanks Vormulac.

Omg what a smart move by valve....

I bet they will wait to see what vu does, and then if they still dont release it they will probably make hl s availible to us..

This is insanely smart. Bye bye 6 month delay! Vivendi are bonkers if they still plan on keeping the game for 6months. But I bet Vivendi will sue Valve for this. But if Valve found a loophole that makes them able to do this, they will most likely win.

Damn im loving all this anger towards VU. Its to funny. Well doesnt matter hl2 = VERY soon. Css = next week. WOOT WOOT.

I wonder what vivendi will do to counter this action????

Lets hope they just say f@#k it ands release the game..

I would think that the reasoning behind Valve being able to release CS:S is this:

- Vivendi claim that the IP of the Half Life universe (Half life, Half life 2) is owned by them
- Counterstrike is *not* part of the Half Life universe (same engine yes.. but different game)

Therefore I would assume it is safe for Valve to release Counterstrike (and any other mod such as Day of Defeat) as they are not covered by Vivendi's claims.

I have HL2 pre-ordered but with the CS:S announcement I'm now seriously about to cancel it and throw my money into Steam.

Your move Vivendi.

MaxiKana said:
But I bet Vivendi will sue Valve for this.
Yea I was thinking this too, and what happens if they go to court and then Valve is told they cant release hl2 through steam?? They would have already had thousands of copies sold so...

@ instig8r_ajcm

Heh, just did that, I cancelled my pre-order of august 2003 after my yesterday's succesful steam install & hl goty / hl2 preload. Screw you Vivendi!

Back