The graphics in hl:s?

AJ Rimmer said:
Oh okay, I thought he meant the ones that compared the old characters, my mistake :eek:
But, help me out here, don't the ichty look different? Haven't they upgraded it?
It looks the same to me... look closely at the tail, you can see that it's fairly low-poly. A HL2 quality model would be much more smoothed out. I think it's safe to say that no geometry, textures or models are going to be replaced, and at best we'll get the higher definition models from Blue Shift or HL for PS2.

Personally if the only thing thats updated are the water efx and maybe the sound, I wont buy it. Paying out for a 5 year old game cus its got shiny water? No thanks.

Ritz said:
Personally if the only thing thats updated are the water efx and maybe the sound, I wont buy it. Paying out for a 5 year old game cus its got shiny water? No thanks.
Well I really hope they have at least fixed the sound, even today the graphics kinda hold up, but the sound is laughable in HL.

Don't forget physics :)

HL:S is really for the die hard fans of HL single player. Personally, it's probably my favorite game of all time, and certainly the one I've played through the most, so any opportunity to revisit it with some new features is a welcome one for me. Ragdoll physics and water effects are all I need to justify the extra cash :p

It's quite possible sound will have been improved, since it's probable that higher quality versions of the original sounds were made, and then compressed for file size purposes. Oh and don't forget, HL:S will also benefit from HL2's decals (bullet hits \ blood), effects (smoke \ explosions) and lighting. The experience will, overall, be much more believable.

Edit: thinking about it, it's pretty much certain that bullet impact sounds (like bullets hitting metal\wood\concrete\etc) and explosion sounds (and possibly footsteps and object collisions) will be those from HL2. Don't count on weapon sounds or ambient sounds being re-done though. At best they will just be higher quality recordings of the original sounds.

Yes the whole Half-Life game will be ported. Not like cs:s or full gfx of hl2 but still a lot better.

You know what... I just noticed that those pics I posted were already in the thread, on the first page. And I went searching for them. Gosh I'm a dork. :p

Logic said:
Don't forget physics :)

HL:S is really for the die hard fans of HL single player. Personally, it's probably my favorite game of all time, and certainly the one I've played through the most, so any opportunity to revisit it with some new features is a welcome one for me. Ragdoll physics and water effects are all I need to justify the extra cash :p

It's quite possible sound will have been improved, since it's probable that higher quality versions of the original sounds were made, and then compressed for file size purposes. Oh and don't forget, HL:S will also benefit from HL2's decals (bullet hits \ blood), effects (smoke \ explosions) and lighting. The experience will, overall, be much more believable.

Edit: thinking about it, it's pretty much certain that bullet impact sounds (like bullets hitting metal\wood\concrete\etc) and explosion sounds (and possibly footsteps and object collisions) will be those from HL2. Don't count on weapon sounds or ambient sounds being re-done though. At best they will just be higher quality recordings of the original sounds.
Well the things I was annoyed by when I played HL was the sound when you walked. Walk on a metal floor, it sounded as a bunch of step-dance maniacs were practicing on their new metal stage.

Here's an idea for the modding community... making a mod that actually revamps the whole thing. Redo the models and maps with the abilities of the Source engine. It would be a community project, kinda like the Tramel mod for Morrowind... huge...

For one, just using the HL2 models wouldn't work for the storyline because the NPCs are all much older in HL2.

There is a lot more geometry in Source maps, so more detail could be added to the levels. Note that this isn't adding more to the levels, just making them look better and smoother.

That and the effects of the Source engine could be used, too. Such as the ad screens in the hallway leading to the test chamber. They could be done with screen transistions and stuff rather than rotating level geometry.

I don't know how well such a project would fly with Valve, considering that it's a rip-off of their original game. But as a mod, it would be far more detailed that it looks like HL:S is turning out. If not... maybe a OppFor:S mod. ^_^

If I remember correctly, Gabe has openly encouraged the community to revamp Half-Life content (I'm sure it's in the Valve info thread somewhere), so I'm sure they'd have no problem with such a project. The only thing I'd be worried about is varying levels of quality. I'd rather play a solid HL:S, with a consistant level of visual quality, then something which is technically better looking, but less consistant in style and quality. As long as the project leaders were ruthless in their rejection of imperfect content, it could work, but even then the project would be subject to their personal views, rather than Valve's initial intention.

Basically, I'd be hesitant towards it, since it wouldn't be canon, so to speak.

I read in pcgamer that none of the models will be upgraded, just water, lighting, and textures.

Back