The Ideal affordable Sound card for HL2

X-FacToR

Reaction score
By affordable I mean not over $100 I made this thread for your opinions on what the best soundcard YOU think would be for HL2, expensive cards I don't care about so keep that to yourselves. I will be using primarly HeadPhones but I do have a 5.1 speaker setup and I will be wanting DVD sound quality.

Im considering going with the Creative AUDIGY 2 for $74.00 US FUNDS whats your take on that.

well... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you've posted in the wrong forum.

But yes... the Creative AUDIGY 2 is a good card. Thats what i have.

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and it owns. Everything sounds so great especially with 5.1 surround speakers. There are many sound options that you can get with SB Audigy such as EAX which makes everything sound more alive. I have mine set for "Heavy Metal" to get a really loud and realistic sound out of everything. When I play the Bink vids of HL2 on my computer with the sound up, It shakes my desk and sounds crystal clear. When I play music, it's like I have a huge stereo playing, but it's just my SB Audigy. I am not sure of its price, but it's definately good.

Audigy2 is about as good as a gaming card gets. If you want some good (cheap) 5.1 speakers, I suggest the logitech z640 ($65 or so). (If you are using the cheap speakers that came with your computer, you will not believe how much volume and quality $65 will buy you.)

i bought the audigy 2 zs platinum card not too long ago. you should be able to find it for JUST under 100.00 without the extra front panel. i hate those panels anyhow... i'm not an audiophile though. i've never had any problems with it, it for it's price it has great sound quality. here are some links for more information

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9115

http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=500163&sid=44oBmP0@s4@p2Jf

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...ion=audigy,zs&searchdepa=0&srchFor=audigy2 zs

there you go.

edit-------
as far as speakers go, i just hooked up a reciever my dad doesn't use anymore to some nice speakers. it adds a lot of power behind the quality of the sound card. better than any computer speakers i've heard before. and the only thing i had to pay for was a few dollars for a digital output to analog rca cable convertor. compliments of the local radio shack of course. hope this helps you out... raid your parents house for speakers. we also have a place down here (in san antonio) called bjorns. they have really high quality tvs/audio/video equipment. they also have a clearence store mainly for items which have been repaired or were slightly damaged during shipping (ie: bumps, scrathes). so check those places if you have some good cash, you can make out with a great sound system for your computer that comes under 150.00 all together.

Well thanks for the suggestions guys, guess I am going to stick with the Audigy 2 for the price its a steal. I built my computer and I was on a budget so I decided I will upgrade what is most important first, figured Id use onboard sound and upgrade to a sound card later on when I get some extra money, and well that time is now. Ive decided to go with Plantronics .90 Model Headset with Boom Microphone, I figure @ $24.00 US and from what ive read/heard about em should be good bang for buck. Trying to get the cheapest/best stuff I can find that won't break down on me (not that I thrash my stuff but you get the point)

Anyways thanks agian... any info on how the audigy 2 sounds with DVD's ? Or New age games ? Would be great.

Moved due to the relevance this has to the Hardware, Software and Troubleshooting forum

:)

clarionhaze said:
i bought the audigy 2 zs platinum card not too long ago. you should be able to find it for JUST under 100.00 without the extra front panel. i hate those panels anyhow... i'm not an audiophile though. i've never had any problems with it, it for it's price it has great sound quality. here are some links for more information

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9115

http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=500163&sid=44oBmP0@s4@p2Jf

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...ion=audigy,zs&searchdepa=0&srchFor=audigy2 zs

there you go.

edit-------
as far as speakers go, i just hooked up a reciever my dad doesn't use anymore to some nice speakers. it adds a lot of power behind the quality of the sound card. better than any computer speakers i've heard before. and the only thing i had to pay for was a few dollars for a digital output to analog rca cable convertor. compliments of the local radio shack of course. hope this helps you out... raid your parents house for speakers. we also have a place down here (in san antonio) called bjorns. they have really high quality tvs/audio/video equipment. they also have a clearence store mainly for items which have been repaired or were slightly damaged during shipping (ie: bumps, scrathes). so check those places if you have some good cash, you can make out with a great sound system for your computer that comes under 150.00 all together.

ALLRIGHT ALLRIGHT you talked me into it, I decided to go with audigy 2 zs platinum, its not much more money and it seems pretty damn sweet.

you can easily get a decent sound card for under 100... audigy 2 (check whats around the corner first, no point in buying until near releasage?)

Well I have the money now, and Ive decided now is the time to buy. Plus I am planning on playing battlefield vietnam soldner and prolly a few other titles before the hl2 launch, I am buying a bunch of upgrades other then the sound card. After this all I need is a 3.2C P4 HT processor and Ill be set.

X-FacToR said:
Well I have the money now, and Ive decided now is the time to buy. Plus I am planning on playing battlefield vietnam soldner and prolly a few other titles before the hl2 launch, I am buying a bunch of upgrades other then the sound card. After this all I need is a 3.2C P4 HT processor and Ill be set.

Well I talked my self out of the platinum and went with the Audigy 2 cause im on a budget and the extra money made it possible to get a larger hard drive. Heres the list of the stuff I baught and waiting on it being shipped. The memory will bring my TOTAL to 1024.

Crucial 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2100 4T - OEM
Specification
Manufacturer: Crucial
Speed: DDR266(PC2100)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.1GB/s
Organization: 32M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime $37.00 1 $37.00

Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 120GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Remark: OEM Drive Only $96.00 1 $96.00

Plantronics .Audio 90 Stereo Headset with In-Line Volume and Mute Control -RETAIL
Specifications:
Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
THD: Not Specified
Nominal impedance: 28 ohms
Sensitivity: 112 dB SPL
Cord: 2.9m
Weight: Not Specified
Connector: 3.5mm
Microphone Type: Electret
Microphone Impedance: 3k ohms
Microphone Frequency Response: 100-10,000 Hz
Features: Full-range stereo sound with maximum bass, Superior speech recognition microphone, QuickAdjust microphone for perfect placement $24.00 1 $24.00

LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive, Model XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H, OEM
Specifications:
Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
Interface: E-IDE/ATAPI
Buffer: Not specified
Access Time: 120ms ( typical )
Data Transfer Rate: DVD-ROM 8600~21600 KB/sec, CD-ROM 3000~7200 KB/sec
Features: SMART-X Technology, Easy-Tray Design for Both Horizontally & Vertically Use
Remark: OEM (see pictures for details) $25.00 1 $25.00

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM
Specifications:
Channels: 6.1
Max Sampling Rate: 192kHz
Signal-Noise Ratio: 106dB(SNR)
Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital EX 6.1
Digital Audio: 24-bit
Hardware Polyphony: 64 Voices
PC Interface: PCI
Connectors: Line-out,Line-in,Mic-in,Digital Out(5.1),SB1394/Firewire,Analog/Digital CD Audio in,Telephone Answering Device in,GAME/MIDI port via extension header(See Details)
External Box: N/A
Remote Control: N/A
Package included: See pics
Special Features: DVD Audio,THX,EAX Advanced HD $74.00 1 $74.00

Tax: $.00
Subtotal: $ 256.00
Shipping and Handling charge*:
(FedEx Express Saver) $5.00
Total: $ 261.00

The sound card is only as good as your speakers. Yestarday i got an audigy 2 Zs and zalman headphones (real 5.1) and it sounds like shit when you have the volume up really loud. If your going to get an exspensive soun card then get better speakers cause im not really impressed with mine.

Avoid a Telex USB microphone. Nothing but trouble. Either voicetweak.exe or
the Audigy 2 card screws recognition up. I only get static.

Sennheiser makes awsome headphones. Crank em up and there crystal clear....they have enough bass to make it sound like your listeing to loudspeakers.

of course any of the decent ones start at around 70-80$ but its worth it my mind....

well Creative Audigy 2 if you can, if not get an Asus motherboard that has built in audio (soundmax card) supports 5.1 surround sound and SPDIF as well as hardware Bass boost etc.

pretty decent considering its onboard sound.

get those Logitech 4.1 Speakers if you want VOLUME! I have the Z-560s and they are LOUD! I took'em to work with me to the boonies(out there with the deer and Rednecks) and rocked the whole area for about a block around or more. And that was turned down so I could approuch it to switch songs.

P.S. they also sell a 2.1 system with the same speakers, just less of them. 188watt subwoofer, man!

I've got a set of Logitech Z680s - anyone thats heard about these will know how powerful they are :D

Back to the subject- the best sound card for Half-Life 2: -

nVidia Soundstorm - The onboard audio chipset for nForce2 motherboards. Why?
This is literally the best performing audio processor available, and is able to deliver unbeatable quality 5.1 digital audio whilst keeping processor useage to a minimum - keeping frame rates high.

Details here: -

http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html

I have an A7N8X Deluxe - luckily with the Soundstorm APU - the perfect companion for my Z680s :D

kickass2009 said:
i got zalman headphones (real 5.1)

uh head phones can't be 5.1, 5.1 refers to the speaker set up. 5.1 means 5 speakers and a sub. 7.1 = 7 speakers and a sub.

actually staddydaddy, the zalmans are REAL 5.1, like he said. The have all the different speakers contained in the headphones.

If you building a computer just get one thats built into the mobo. I got an Intel mobo with 5:1 audio built in and its just fine.

Back