The "Is this a photoShop" Question:

Something really weird is going on tonight. Thats new, the 15+ rating hmmm?

i say its fake, wouldnt there be a valve sign on it or something, i think its fake...
*hopes its fake

Its all getting weird, if thats a photoshop job then they're very very good.

That's either real or a very good photoshop job. :)

edit: actually if you look at the box, on the right... it has no depth. The box looks too flat to me. I call it a fake.

Guy claiming he has HL2 in Colorado, although i called and they denied and now this picture coming up....this is probably all fake, wonder what else we will see tonight.

Looks pretty authentic to me (ie not Photoshopped)
Though the guy holding it could have printed his own box if he liked...

We need some photoshop studs up in here to help us out...

most likely faked.
whats funnier is that the monitor has "Atari" on it.. oh the memories :E

Fake fake fake. Look at the box. See how flat it is?

That is NOT the pic that this username joker took though. We're all still waiting for that.

It's an Australian/New Zealand box. Intresting. :)

According to waldo:

I think you'll know it's real when a lot of people are saying they have it and are playing it. When some guy posts a pic in some "obscure" forum with a single pic (and doesn't show like the game running), don't you ... wonder?

Backtome: Im now thinking its false too, but their do seem to be copys of hl2 at stores. Im sure their is enough people out their that hate their jobs but love halflife2...

It's more likely that someone printed out a gamebox (from the numerous pictures we've seen of the final box art) and took a picture of himself holding his homemade "game".

im no photoshop expert but look closely around the thumb... does that look like its been cut out?

Doesnt the right of the box look alittle jagged to you guys? Maybe im just seeing things. Anyways if thats real i'm gonna be really pissed that that dude has it.

If the guy *did* have a real copy, he wouldn't be able to show it off on-screen - the Steam activation lock thing etc!

Even if wasn't fake: it's just a box and an insert. I could have something like that printed up within the hour, if I cared to.

If it was real, why only one picture? Lets see the instruction booklet, the back of the box, etc., etc.

seems...mmm fake. But maybe it was from in valve or something? or vivendi??

and why does that date look out of place...that wasnt taken with a camera, date was added after!

guise said:
im no photoshop expert but look closely around the thumb... does that look like its been cut out?

Guise is right, the thumb does look cut out. The more I look at it the more it looks fake.

edit: whats that plastic stuff on the right of the hl2 booklet?

I think it's just a mighty fine photoshop. Damn some of these people are good at that.

Someone posted that picture on the Steam forums which caused a lot of people to go into frenzy about it, and what do ya know, they're down now! Heheh, guess the mods want a break from their n00bish speculations.

I believe it's a fake, the DVD case looks like the guy who took the photo printed the picture of the box and put it in the case. As for the box itself, I am sure it's a pre-order box. (remember the fake Doom 3 and HL2 CDs way back in July?)

Look closely at the pic, the guy's hand is directly behind the cover. If it were a real box his hand would be situated behind farther and you'd be able to see the side of the box. Not to mention the shoddy job up by his thumb and the tiny glimpse of a manual... Psh.

I'll only believe it when I see some grinning idiot with an entire profile picture of the front, back and inside of the box and when my steam suddenly says, "YOU NOW HAVE HALFLIFE 2!"

The case inside does look like a magazine folded backwards, and if you zoom in on the thumb theres a yellowy lining, which suggests the thumb was cut out of an original picture of him holding a yellow object ( no doubt a banana :p )
Can't be real, but if retailers do have it and they force forward the release..then yippi ki yay!

I think it is legit. The thumb looks cut out because the flash is very close to it, thus creating a black contour close around it. Other than that I can't really tell why he hasn't posted some install-screens to go with it, or more images for that matter. Time will tell.

The colour on the box is too crisp - compare the colour of, say, the right of the box with that of his monitor/keyb in the background.
And you're right about the way he's holding the thing...
The guy also draws on his hands ;)

I also just noticed the case inside the box is too small to fit in, surely a smaller box would be made so the case fits in snuggly, having the case move about inside would be silly. It's just all wrong! :upstare:

Hectic Glenn said:
The case inside does look like a magazine folded backwards, and if you zoom in on the thumb theres a yellowy lining
There's the yellow lining all round the image - look in the bottom right corner where the monitor meets the edge of the paper.
Most edges in the image have this - one side of the edge has yellow, the other has blue... The one thing is that these edges aren't consistent - sometimes the blue is on the right side of an edge, but other times it's on the lower side.

Dr. Freeman said:
most likely faked.
whats funnier is that the monitor has "Atari" on it.. oh the memories :E
Mine has one on too, in the same place.

Doubt it's a Photoshop job, but it's most likely just printed out.

Look at his thumb, you can see the underlying orange box he has stuck it on.

That Atari sticker looks like the ones given out by Atari in the Budokai series, I should know because the first thing my little brother did was paste one of those suckers on the top of my monitor.

Back