The mod community seems very quiet...

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I remember all the big talk about how ppl can make a working dm in a few hours (not the crap shit ppl are playing now). And all these mods were gonna start bursting out with news and blah blah blah. Its been a week since hl2 came out, there isnt even the smallest of mods (such as being able to kill allys in hl2). Im just curious why all the silence?

ShinRa said:
I remember all the big talk about how ppl can make a working dm in a few hours (not the crap shit ppl are playing now). And all these mods were gonna start bursting out with news and blah blah blah. Its been a week since hl2 came out, there isnt even the smallest of mods (such as being able to kill allys in hl2). Im just curious why all the silence?
Not much can be done without the full SDK, so far there are plenty of new CS:S maps being developed but other than those the only modding we can even really do (without using stuff from the leaked version) is create content for total conversion mods which won't even be playable for at least a few months.

Yeah, no sdk = no mods.

Release it already! :D

im taking this time to plan and solidify all the game docs and development outline.
once the full sdk is out we will be ready to start straight off.
in the mean time we are pumpin out the textures, skys, models, and maps.

if anyones interested, my site...
http://www.directsoundradio.net/pf

Looks really interesting Indy, good luck with the project.

Yeah, only the map editor's been released so far, and none of the HL2 assets, so we'll have to wait. Although, there was a HL2DM alpha released yesterday. Not sure how much is in it.

http://www.hl2mp-mod.de.vu/

The only proper mods that turn up in the next few weeks will be those created with the illegal tools made months ago.

Mini mods and hacks to change gameplay will probably turn up, the odd map here and there. The bigger mods wont be for quite some time. Especially as many of them are now realising they have to change a great deal to make it work in the engine.

Meh, I'd prefer MOD teams staying quiet, all cute and stuff, those pretty unskinned renders of a 1001 guns with full GI turned on, but what does that tell me? And why should I care until they actually have something interesting to show?

Well first thing i'm doing is converting a few CS1.6 gun animations to cs:s. There'll be a lot of custom stuff popping up then people doing similar hackjob type things.

As for full blown mods, unskinned renders :LOL: delicious! We've been seeing them for over a year. I want to start seeing in-game screenies.

PvtRyan said:
Meh, I'd prefer MOD teams staying quiet, all cute and stuff, those pretty unskinned renders of a 1001 guns with full GI turned on, but what does that tell me? And why should I care until they actually have something interesting to show?

agreed.

Were keeping a lid on the main concept until we have a test version. If the test goes well then we will release some media in the form of smal avi's.

No use showing the game off if its not playable. :O

indy said:
agreed.

Were keeping a lid on the main concept until we have a test version. If the test goes well then we will release some media in the form of smal avi's.

No use showing the game off if its not playable. :O
equally there's no use showing small avi's that can't show any real details. Go for high res binks.

People are bored of, and doesn't care much for weapon renders anymore.

I suppose most developers are just holding it back until they have something actually worth showing.

Model renders belong in a modeller's blog.

Back