The next big thing-

Kristafon

Reaction score
What do you think will be the next major development in hardware which will make the most difference?

I think if PuRam became more developed and mainstream, it would be the biggest change in PC technology in a loooong time. It would basically eliminate the need for a hard disk or system RAM.

yea, the only drawback i see with PuRam is the god awful stench.

PCI-E to be honest, when they iron the bugs, faults, and screwups in it, should be excellent...

I hear they are inventing a pen... With a light at the end... That will allow you to write, and point, and click, anything on your monitor. Icons or what not... Now wouldn't that be all Star trekky...

Kristafon said:
What do you think will be the next major development in hardware which will make the most difference?
That's a tough question considering that the longer you look into the future the bigger the improvments and changes there are being made.

PCI-Express is a good design that will allow for fast interface between expansion cards and the heart of the PC. But only a few people will really get the benefits from it. Those who use highend Graphics cards and video capture cards.

Dual Core will help with all around multitasking and it will introduce it to the mainstream with a relatively affordable price. Also help out with SMP applications.

64Bit computing is also something that really needs to start taking off. MS better get Win64 out ASAP. Not because it could give us big performance boosts but because the time at which we can't live without it is rapidly approaching for many of us. We need to remove the 4GB Vitual Memory limit. 2 256MB SLI video cards adds up to 512MB video memory or even the 512MB cards coming in the future. Add in GART for the Graphic cards, the 2GB OS virtual memory usage and the fact that a number of games already have a 1GB+ virtual memory footprint. Notice I never even brought up system memory, because that is not the real issue. ;)

It would be nice if our PC and all of our peripherals had bluetooth. ;)
No cords, happy happy joy joy!
Just need a power cord for the PC/Monitor and batteries for the keyboard/mouse like I have now.

I hear that the main advantage of PCI-E is that it opens up the possible using of the system RAM for GFX, allowing the video card to have no memory. Sounds good to me..

Longhorn *should* be out in 2006... Dunno about the 64bit version o' XP :p

As usual, Ill be pondering 'bout what Futuremark comes up with next for their demo :)

64 bit computing and the Graphics Card Usage of Windows Longhorn to speed up desktop apps.

Also - any of you guys heard about using your Graphics Card to process sound? In comparison to sole CPU processing - huge increase in performance. Truly the next wave will be parallel computing - not just on the GPU front but on the CPU.

I bet they will continue to strink and combine architectures on the PC to optimize how computers function and also smaller formfactors. ;)
More parrallel computing is in the right direction, with lower power or slightly cooler systems I bet.

But that will probably seen down the road beyond 64Bit and DualCore.

Back