The Omen

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
i heard about this movie from a friend and tonight while browsing i found a teaser trailer...although its not much to go by but i was told this movie is about Hitler.
i wasn't given much detail about it and my friend did not seem to know much about it either except that it was about Hitler so um...anyone heard of it? im curious about it...

its current release date is set for June 6th so it might be a bit early to be discussing it but hey...i am curious.

This is a COMPLETELY unnecessary remake of a 1976 movie. It's about an adopted kid who is the antichrist. The remake WILL suck. The original is creepy and fantastic. Not sure where he got the Hitler thing
www.imdb.com/title/tt0075005/

June 6th 2006 :O.... 6/6/06.
oshit!

With the kid on the swing? Or is there another one? Because the teaser is awful

Yeah, nothing will ever beat the original. I mean jeez, the next thing Hollywood will do is remake The Prophecy.

Isn't that the film where the actors and the director and cameramen died a few months after it was out?

ríomhaire said:
Isn't that the film where the actors and the director and cameramen died a few months after it was out?

Interesting claim, do you have a source?

BTW, I have no idea about him being Hitler, I just thought the kid was supposed to be the anti-christ, thats all.

ríomhaire said:

I think you're thinking of Poltergeist. A lot of people died after it and its sequels came out.

I saw the original with my friend when I was eight years old, I honestly wasn't scared once.

There's some really cool stuff about the original's curse on the DVD of it.

Apparently the guy who came up with the idea for the photographers head getting cut off with a pane of glass was a victim of the movies curse. He was travelling with his girlfriend in their car(across Europe if i remember?) when a truck loaded with glass panes pulled out infront of them and they collided at a pretty high speed. The driver was knocked unconscious and he when he awoke the first thing he saw was 666 on the odometer and his girlfriends headless body next to him. Its on the ?DVD. Pretty creepy shit.

Once again Hollywood under achieves itslef by rehashing an old movie in hopes that the youth will have no knowledge what so ever of the original and thus new drivel is forced down our throats.

They wonder why ticket sales are so low? The only original movies are ones that only make it to a few theatres while these rehashed and other shit box movies go worlwide in thousands of theatres. Our we, the mass public, really that dumb that they think we want another Big Momma's House 2?

The movie industry can byte the big one for all I care.

xlucidx said:
June 6th 2006 :O.... 6/6/06.
oshit!

That date only happens once in a thousand years, next time it is 6/6/3006 :D

EDIT: Ohh crap, its today :O

I saw it. I haven't seen the original though.

And NO THERE IS NOTHING TO DO WITH HITLER FFS. However the kid could play a convincing Hitler if he had a moustache. The movie did make me jump a few times, but it was only those type of scares where something really quick and loud happens.

Dr. Freeman said:
i heard about this movie from a friend and tonight while browsing i found a teaser trailer...although its not much to go by but i was told this movie is about Hitler.
i wasn't given much detail about it and my friend did not seem to know much about it either except that it was about Hitler so um...anyone heard of it? im curious about it...

its current release date is set for June 6th so it might be a bit early to be discussing it but hey...i am curious.

hehe you're confusing Gregory Peck movies ..Gregory Peck was in the original Omen and also in a movie called The Boys from Brasil where he plays Dr. Mengele in a movie about hitler years after the war which came out a few years after the omen

I highly recommended the boys from brasil

the omen is about the birth of the anti-christ (Damien) ...this current movie will be a pale imitation

I'll see it even though I saw the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and vowed to never see another glossy shitbag hollywood remake of a classic ever again. This one actually looks pretty good, but I am pretty sure I will be disappointed. The original is awesome and timeless and brilliant.

ríomhaire said:
yeah i heard this too, supposedly alot of weird things happened on set and stuff. Copy/paste from wiki:

According to urban legend, the production was plagued with a series of "curses" to which the crew suggested were perhaps supernatural forces trying to prevent the filming of the movie. Rumored instances include: the plane for scriptwriter David Seltzer was struck by lightning; Richard Donner's hotel was bombed by the Provisional IRA; Gregory Peck canceled a flight to Israel, only for the plane he'd chartered to crash, killing all on board; a warden at the safari park used in the "crazy baboon" scene being attacked and killed by a lion the day after the crew left, and, on the first day of shooting, the principal members of the crew survived a head-on car crash
:O

This looked like a worthy remake. Dunno

The movie had a lot of problems

spoilers:
the dude calls his wife's cell phone while she is clearly drugged and incapable of moving in the hospital

if he believed that his son was the devil enough to travel around the world finding answers, why did he not bother to tell the hospital staff, 'hey don't let satan, i mean my son, near my wife.'

How did the camera man get that dudes number?

Why would you keep a nanny that doesn't do what you tell her, and brings in wild (and statistically hostile) dogs into your house, and let them sleep in the same room with your child?

Why did the priest have no sense of tact, when you're trying to tell somebody their son is the anti-christ you need to have a strategy and some evidence to back up your allegations

Who the hell waters plants in high heels, standing on their toes, on a chair, that's pressed against the railing of a third story drop?

Since when did 5 mg of air kill you in 10 seconds? I can't find it now but i remember seeing that it took a LOT more air than movies depict...

come on now, the whole 'child in a weird situation' thing is getting old, having a girl do the crab walk up a well isn't scary, neither is having a boy wear a mask and stand at the end of your bathtub

...i'm sure there's more...

chu said:
Once again Hollywood under achieves itslef by rehashing an old movie in hopes that the youth will have no knowledge what so ever of the original and thus new drivel is forced down our throats.

They wonder why ticket sales are so low? The only original movies are ones that only make it to a few theatres while these rehashed and other shit box movies go worlwide in thousands of theatres. Our we, the mass public, really that dumb that they think we want another Big Momma's House 2?

The movie industry can byte the big one for all I care.

Yes, everything you said is right.

xcellerate said:
The movie had a lot of problems

spoilers:
the dude calls his wife's cell phone while she is clearly drugged and incapable of moving in the hospital

if he believed that his son was the devil enough to travel around the world finding answers, why did he not bother to tell the hospital staff, 'hey don't let satan, i mean my son, near my wife.'

How did the camera man get that dudes number?

Why would you keep a nanny that doesn't do what you tell her, and brings in wild (and statistically hostile) dogs into your house, and let them sleep in the same room with your child?

Why did the priest have no sense of tact, when you're trying to tell somebody their son is the anti-christ you need to have a strategy and some evidence to back up your allegations

Who the hell waters plants in high heels, standing on their toes, on a chair, that's pressed against the railing of a third story drop?

Since when did 5 mg of air kill you in 10 seconds? I can't find it now but i remember seeing that it took a LOT more air than movies depict...

come on now, the whole 'child in a weird situation' thing is getting old, having a girl do the crab walk up a well isn't scary, neither is having a boy wear a mask and stand at the end of your bathtub

...i'm sure there's more...

The nanny in the original movie was supposed to protect the antichrist, she's a hellspawn or whatever the heck they call it. I suppose that's what you're talking about in the remake.

The movie was decent enough, but I'm not going to sit here and lob praise at the original, which was itself an average movie at best. Obviously this is my opinion, but to sit here and say it'll never touch the original Omen is the equivalent of saying Timecop 2 will never best the original. Honestly, it's not like we're talking about a remake of The Godfather, or Citizen Kane or Casablanca.

The remake is good enough. You'll have a few good jumps....it's a fun flick. Enjoy yourself.

the omen was a cultural phenomenon, when it opened it had huge success (imho Polanski's Rosemary's baby was superior) ..I'm sure people second guess choosing the name Damien when naming their baby based on that movie alone

CptStern said:
the omen was a cultural phenomenon, when it opened it had huge success (imho Polanski's Rosemary's baby was superior) ..I'm sure people second guess choosing the name Damien when naming their baby based on that movie alone

Like I said....it's only my opinion. Just didn't care for it too much. Not a terrible movie by any means however....I guess the Timecop reference was a bit harsh.

hehe ya ...of all the movies you could have picked you picked Timecop :LOL: ..it's van damme ..it's automatically crap

Roper and Ebert said it was quite faithful and (roper) expressed that he like this remake even more then the original. I doubt thatll become popular opinion but at least they totally F this one up.

Back