The organic origin of the Combine machinery

LOL have you ever chosen death?
welll yea probly but still rank apon ranks of Vorts its like.......woah

Theres a mod where you play the "death" option, but there is a marine corpse handy that has a weapon. Then you fight your way across Xen.

Realy cool,but i dont like mods.BTW,now that there have been some talks of Xen,i think its cool how the Vortigaunts hearded Antlions and ate their larva...freaky

Umm... you know Opposing Force and Blue Shift were both mods...?

Umm... you know Opposing Force and Blue Shift were both mods...?

They are expansions, they are official and add to the canon story, unlike mods.
I can go make a mod Gordon turns into a transexual headcrab, would that make it a part of the story? No.

They weren't done by Valve either. They were done by Gearbox, under the instruction of Valve.

... right? *looks at DarkSide*

They are expansions, they are official and add to the canon story, unlike mods.
I can go make a mod Gordon turns into a transexual headcrab, would that make it a part of the story? No.

They are still mods. Period

In truth, I'd venture to say all games are mods of an engine.

Yes, they are mods in a very technical sense. But to describe them as such is to completely dilute the term, so why be pedantic? Just call it an expansion.

Im wondering about the headcrabs,they were present in HL1 but are now launched at the combine!What did they do,tame them??

I don't think they tamed them at all. They do attack combines as well, look at the zombines. They simply throw them at a place, and let them do their job. Very effective, just look at ravenholm. No need to send any troops in there, it's gone.

How can u conquer anything with a building?

The Citadels (I firmly believe there are more, why else give the city a number) is an amazing building with vast tactical advantages. It is a factory for weapons of war (Striders etc., are manufactured there, you see them during Episode one), a solid base of operations (The destruction of the citadel makes the advisers come out to steer the troops, instead of staying in safety within a citadel), and also a fortress to keep themselves defended.

While the citadels themselves conquers nothing, it is none the less important. Bases of operation are needed to replenish their troops, coordinate tactics and such. They strike down, and destruction follows in increasing radius around their center.

Don't forget however, that the Citadels were also used to mine the planet of its resources.

Now, lets not all forget the picture. Firstly, I cannot say the Vortigaunts originate from Xen (unless someone gives me solid proof) However, the main battle tactic of the Combine is to strike hard and fast, assemble a single entity native to the planet, and manipulate him into convincing the rest of the planet to willingly submit. They then begin depleting the planet of its resources and possibly prevent reproduction. This is were Xen comes in. The Nihilanth may have escaped with his species to xen. Humans found a working teleporter by "slingshoting" through xen. This is possibly were the Combine learned of earth, and began constructing a plan to take it over too. (my time is short so i will end it here) This is a very sketchy theory, as is all, but it shows a possibility of the background of the Vortigaunt race.

Of course vortigaunts don't originate from Xen. Who said they did?

they dont
there from a diffrent planet
Xen is the border world they FLED no where in this world (except for a few dipshits) does it say they originate from Xen

Don't forget however, that the Citadels were also used to mine the planet of its resources.

Now, lets not all forget the picture. Firstly, I cannot say the Vortigaunts originate from Xen (unless someone gives me solid proof) However, the main battle tactic of the Combine is to strike hard and fast, assemble a single entity native to the planet, and manipulate him into convincing the rest of the planet to willingly submit. They then begin depleting the planet of its resources and possibly prevent reproduction. This is were Xen comes in. The Nihilanth may have escaped with his species to xen. Humans found a working teleporter by "slingshoting" through xen. This is possibly were the Combine learned of earth, and began constructing a plan to take it over too. (my time is short so i will end it here) This is a very sketchy theory, as is all, but it shows a possibility of the background of the Vortigaunt race.

Eh I think the crab/strider/gunship may be from the same world as they look similar.

Or because the Combine have the collective knowledge of the biology and technology from dozens/hundreds of worlds, they've slowly, eventually engineered all the synths towards a certain degree of homogeneity that ensures the highest level of effectiveness from all resources.

e.g - Bulletproof carapace, dark-matter (or energy orb) powered weaponry, etc. etc.

BTW, I think Hunters don't bleed oil, they just bleed very dark blood. Who knows what they have for blood... (well, could be oil but oil doesn't easily bind with whatever gases they breathe [note: they can survive on Earth without extraneous breathing apparatus, signifying a gas that can be found on Earth] I suppose.)

Also: A possible reason why Hunters aren't bulletproof - A certain amount of body-strength or mass (metabolism perhaps, or some other biological process available only to larger creatures) may be required to sustain the carapace, which the Hunter doesn't have. They're tough though, so they have thick skin?

I believe that pale yellow bile that comes from the hunters is their blood. Bullet proofing the hunters could severely effect their mobility which is their main advantage. Plus the guardians emit an identical fluid and they aren't synths.

I believe that pale yellow bile that comes from the hunters is their blood. Bullet proofing the hunters could severely effect their mobility which is their main advantage. Plus the guardians emit an identical fluid and they aren't synths.

Oops, I was working on the post of another poster earlier... come to think of it, I don't remember exactly what colour the hunters bleed, I've never actually killed one with bullets before...

Oops, I was working on the post of another poster earlier... come to think of it, I don't remember exactly what colour the hunters bleed, I've never actually killed one with bullets before...

It's like, gray.

they dont
there from a diffrent planet
Xen is the border world they FLED no where in this world (except for a few dipshits) does it say they originate from Xen

You should go round with a badge saying that.

Yeah,did u notice how it draws power from earth made resources (the cables that its conected to) and they probably use it not only to power the Citadel,but outposts and other bases,and connect one another.
And i heard that they were just gonna take the resources,but they kept humanity alive none the less (one of the advantages is a humanoid cyborg army,just the case with striders/gunships/hunters).
And do u guys think well get a new enemy in EP3,like the hunter in EP2??

Back