The Peacemaker!

Private Snafu

Reaction score
I give you the Colt Single Action Army! AKA The Peacemaker!

Polys: 2495

Attachments

• saaf.jpg
    saaf.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 525
That's a little high poly for it being so simple looking.

there's a lot of smooth and gentle curves in the weapon, that's where all the poly's go.

erm, the colt single action revolver is this>

Colt%201860.jpg

this is a peace maker>

http://world.guns***/handguns/colt_saa.jpg

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
erm, the colt single action revolver is this>

Colt%201860.jpg

this is a peace maker>

http://world.guns***/handguns/colt_saa.jpg

The first one is the Colt Navy .45 Revolver, not the Colt Single Action Army.

does this look better (it's under 2000 poly's! :D)

Attachments

• saaf2.jpg
    saaf2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 367
The barrel is too short and way too skinny, that looks like a .32 barrel not a .45. The shell ejector guide is way too long, it should only be about half the current length. The trigger and trigger guard are much too large. Andthe front sight post is a bit too big.

Does the modeling software youre using allow you to use a background image behind your model? is so try that with the picture that's posted in this thread and the proportions will be right on.

Anyhow, 2000 polys is alot better than before. Youre on the right track.

I had actually based it on this pic:
Note the same lenght of the ejector and barrel.

I'm of the opinion that not all Peacemakers are created equal (many of them were subject modification by their owners, as well as a variety of models being produced)

Attachments

• colt-1st-saa-38-40-right.jpg
    colt-1st-saa-38-40-right.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 340
I would knock off some of the sides you used for the barrel, I'll bet that is contributing allot to the poly count. I would guess you used well over 18 sides on that cylinder for it.

no offence, but it looks like u'v used the extra polys for the sake of it.

well, if i decide to improve the model after the initial mod release, then i'll probably fix that.

Have you seen the stuff ChrisArt has done?

Look here

According to him, none of those weapons are above 1500 faces and they are pretty damn detailed

as i have posted into the M16 thread...

this model does not appear to be the quality of the models capable in the source engine...
This appears to look like a first attempt at high poly modelling, it is too round and too less defined...

for one, the end of the weapons barrel should be flat not round...

I'm sorry but i'm not impressed at all by this model, it looks like it is over 4000 polies, never mind 2000

sorry, if i sound harse and cruel....

To answer both your questions, it appears that Chris has created initially high poly models, then optimised them, using the extra polys to create fine details. I personally plan on using my current SAA as a base from which i will create a model optimized for the first person view, and the external view. Also, i'm considering leaving the fine details to bump mapping rather than modeling.

that is the most innaffective use of poly's I have ever seen

2000 poly's for a handgun. i bet the modelers at valve are laughing now.

oi! I dun' see nunna' mod'lin threads founded bah' ye! Me'be you git in da mod'lin biz fo' ye rip harsh on mah' mod'lin, eh?

Originally posted by Private Snafu
oi! I dun' see nunna' mod'lin threads founded bah' ye! Me'be you git in da mod'lin biz fo' ye rip harsh on mah' mod'lin, eh?

Well, if you look there are plenty of threads picturing my models...look and dnt circise without do back-up evidence... use search look for my models you will find them...and I'm sorry for being harsh...but sometimes it's the best medicine

I'm talking to EVIL. Your critcism is more than welcome. ;)
And believe me, it is under 2000 poly's.

Oh ok, Evil is a Artist..he's done alot of really good Stuff for the Media Threads...and is quite a good member of this community, although he don't post as much as he used to.. I personnaly value his opions :cheese:

"I bet the modelers at valve are laughing now."

Gee, that comment will certainly help improve my model. And what if i'm using 2000 polys for the Peace Maker? So far, i'm only seen semi-auto hand guns and no revolvers modeled here. It makes sense that a revolver would use a lot of poly's sense more moving parts (cocking lever, trigger, revolving chamber) are going to be modeled.

well, i['m currently modelling a Enfield Mk II .38 Revolver for someone...so some renders will probably be up of it soon for you people to C&C :p

And in your professional opinion, how many polys should a revolver of my model's detail have?

Are we talking triangles (edit mesh) or polygons (edit poly)?

If you are saying the # of quads then you should convert to edit mesh and then check the polycount again... because the polycounts Valve gave are most likely in triangles (as most games only render using triangles).

For example: One 1700 triangle weapon model I made shows up as approximately 900 polygons in Edit Poly.

It sounds like you misunderstood what I was trying to say...

The polycount in Edit Poly isn't the polycount you should be worrying about. Valve was talking about triangles when they said around 2000 polygons for weapon models.

Convert your gun to Edit Mesh and check the polycount again... you may be suprised.

1300 polygons in Edit Poly will easily be over 2000 triangles in Edit Mesh (it might even be around 2500).

To save myself this trouble I work mostly in Edit Mesh so I don't accidentally get the wrong count.

actually, it said it was was 6000 polys when i changed everything to editable mesh? Any suggestions?

Start over :). You've probably gained skill making this one, the next model will be a lot easier. Does look a lot better though!

Back