the proper use of props

H

hiddnfox

I'm an old mapper, used to map for quake1-3 and HL1, i'm just picking it back up again and had a question with the hammer editor and props. I can place props no problem, but when i go into game (CS:S) the props are all over the place. For example I have a small resturant, i placed tables, chairse, bowls, even lights up on the ceiling. but in game it looks like the place was torn apart by a hurricane, even the lights are on the floor.

I used 'prop_physics_multiplayer', not sure what the differences are quite yet. so if thats makes a difference could someone tell me why? is there anyplace that lists what the different entity types are?

I am working on a CS:S map and would also like to know if anyone has any good tutorial sight that are more intermediate than begginner, ive looked around but really havn't found much.

thanks in advance

Static fixtures like lights are to be used with prop_static. Physically-stimulated objects like crates are to be used with prop_physics. Prop_physics_multiplayer is a special case of prop_physics with much bouncier collisions, designed to decrease server load.

so if I just use the props_physics then the object will stay where I placed them in the editor?

Moricide said:
Absolutely.

You're wrong.

They do not bounce around unless you place them in eachother or in a brush (This includes the floor!).

If you do they will bounce out of the wall first thing they do, as if they were thrown in to it. This goes for both prop_physics and prop_physics_multiplayer

Yeah, prop_static is what you should use to keep the object in the exact spot as in the editor.

For everything else, set it to prop_physics_multiplayer* and make sure that it is at least 1 cm above the floor and not touching anything else.

Then things will work fine.

*Prop_physics will work too, but it's best to use the multiplayer version, as it improves performance.

Also, for the entity list:
http://www.___world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Entities
Fill the blank with hl2.
That's more advanced info though.
Instead, sites like www.interlopers.net has very good tutorials that should help with most everything you would need to make a map.

I don't like the multiplayer prop. Far too bouncy for my taste.

anyone have any good tutorial sites? I know the basics, but as far as adding water and little 'eye candy' stuff im still in the dark. I cannot really find any good tutorial sites.

Raeven0 said:
I don't like the multiplayer prop. Far too bouncy for my taste.

Then you better like lag, because that's what they're designed to prevent. I don't think VALVe would make a crappier version of something they already had if it was unnecessary.

pur3r4ge said:
Then you better like lag, because that's what they're designed to prevent. I don't think VALVe would make a crappier version of something they already had if it was unnecessary.

You have a lot more faith in Valve than I do, then.

The normal physics prop worked reasonably well in ctf_export, anyway. :p

hiddnfox said:
I'm an old mapper, used to map for quake1-3 and HL1, i'm just picking it back up again and had a question with the hammer editor and props. I can place props no problem, but when i go into game (CS:S) the props are all over the place. For example I have a small resturant, i placed tables, chairse, bowls, even lights up on the ceiling. but in game it looks like the place was torn apart by a hurricane, even the lights are on the floor.

I used 'prop_physics_multiplayer', not sure what the differences are quite yet. so if thats makes a difference could someone tell me why? is there anyplace that lists what the different entity types are?

I am working on a CS:S map and would also like to know if anyone has any good tutorial sight that are more intermediate than begginner, ive looked around but really havn't found much.

thanks in advance

prop_physics_multiplayer:

If you set the Keyvalue "Physics Impact Force to Override" to '1' (default is 0) that will make sure your moveable objects stay put until someone bumps or hits or shoots it!

This is the verbage from Hammer:

"Physics Impact Force to Override"
If specified, this object will start motion disabled. Any impact that imparts a force greater than this value on the physbox will enable motion.

Hope that helps ya!

im still having problems with the props. Ive made a few static just so they wont move at all, but the tables and chairs are wierd. I have 3 table with 2 chairs at each table. One table, no problems at all, all chairsand tables show up. the other though are not showing up. one table isnt showing up at all, the chairs next to it are though. the third table doesnt show up eother, but when i shoot at the empty space a table breaks after its been shot up before and the broken peices appear.

do i need to make sure the props dont overlap? i have a couple chairs tucked under the table.

i also tried a few more props last night as a test. when the map compiles (which after adding a new building somehow added about 10 minutes to the build time) but there were errors on a few props, saying it couldnt build them? one of the propps i placed a couple spaces high and far away from anything else but for some reason still wont show up. anything?

thanks for all your help so far everyone, been of great use to me. especcially the tutorial sites.

hiddnfox said:
i also tried a few more props last night as a test. when the map compiles (which after adding a new building somehow added about 10 minutes to the build time) but there were errors on a few props, saying it couldnt build them? one of the propps i placed a couple spaces high and far away from anything else but for some reason still wont show up. anything?

thanks for all your help so far everyone, been of great use to me. especcially the tutorial sites.

You want to use props_static for larger models. For instance, big boulders or cars. Naturally, a table and its chairs can be moved within the world, therefore, you could use prop_physics.

I think prop_statics (in hl2) more or less refers to the models you CAN'T move with the gravity gun.

Some props that you try to make prop_static just plain won't show up since they were compiled as physics objects. I'm guessing likewise for some prop_physics.

If a physics objects doesn't show up you can use prop_physics_override (I forget the exact name, but it has override at the end anyhow).

prop_static - stuff that acts like a bunch of brushes (it is solid, not movable- use it for lights (so they will stay "up"), big stuff like cars...

prop_physics - stuff that acts like it shuld in the real world (it falls down if placed in the air, it bounces around- use it for chairs, cups, plates, balls, cabinets....)

prop_physics_multiplayer - same as prop_physics only it has simplified collision model so that it doesnt kill the the server (use instead of prop_physics for MP maps)

Also dont forget the start fade distance. Make sure its set at -1. Otherwise it might not show up.

Back