The Pulveriz0r!!11!!1!

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
I do see your point...

but let me explain please...

at first do notice that I actually misunderstood the word and thought she said "pulverizer" which kinda sounds more like a weapon(but in theory also could be part of a machine/project)
and since we've got a weapon called the "manipulator" I don't think you could argue that "Polarizer" sounds any less like a weapon.

so...what made think this was a weapon was of course partly the name...but also the way I interpreted the scene(I have to re-study it when I get back hme though)

but here's what I've got so far:

when Alyx turn to the scientist, she rolls her eyes and look quite annoyed.

"look...you sure you don't want me to swap out the Polarizor?" I always interpreted this kinda of like the annoyed(but still friendly) "don't let me kick your ass!"

and perhaps in this case more like "look...do you really want me to swap out the polarizor to make you work faster?"(I interpret it as Alyx being annoyed of the scientist's work pace, what sort of leads to this is also the scientist response, and Alyx last sentence)

the scientist respond something like: "no, no that won't be nescesary...I just have to *insert scientific babble*" of course the scientist knows that Alyx won't act on her "threat" but he also got the hint that she was annoyed about his work pace, so he re-ensures her that he is nearly done.

in the end when Alyx spots the scanners, she says that they have to leave...if you pay attention you will hear that the scientist, is refusing(for lack of better word) saying some thing like that he just needs to etc. or "I'm nearly done" wereas Alyx frustrated yells that there isn't time and they have to go....

of course this is all guess work, since we only got a small segment of what's happening but that's how I interpret the scene...

You've just write a perfect description of that scene. Word by word.
That..thing they have there is what I think, some kind of weapon of massdestruction or something like that, wich they are supposed to use against the Combine. Remember that big big big thin thats eating up the town? Well that just might be what that weapon of theirs is against.

Originally posted by |MaTT|
A polarizer is a special type of magnifying lens designed to cut out lens 'flare' to make sure any light passing through is kept 'clean' and unspoilt. When alyx asks 'are you sure you don't want me to swap out the polarizer?' she's basically asking wether she should change the lens in a device.

Ahaaa! So that's what a polarizer is. I thought I'd heard the word before.

Originally posted by |MaTT|
A polarizer is a special type of magnifying lens designed to cut out lens 'flare' to make sure any light passing through is kept 'clean' and unspoilt. When alyx asks 'are you sure you don't want me to swap out the polarizer?' she's basically asking wether she should change the lens in a device.

k nice to know...but then why annoyed? and what do you think it would be for then? and how would it help swapping it?(as opposed to what they're doing now, whatver that might be)

but I will wait for the new movies...and then hopefully I can tell what she's really saying...

unfortunately Gabe didn't send me a transcript of the dialogue which I asked for...oh well...just have to wait I guess.

Originally posted by nietzsche
PriNcE oF SpAcE, be careful when constructing your sentences. Saying demos instead of videos is a fatal mistake. Some guys on these forums have a nervous trigger-finger. :LOL:

well for a short moment I thought that saying movies wouldn't be clear enough since...well...the already realeased vids also could be reffered to as movies. for a short moment I didn't think that people would get confused thinking that I was talking about actual play-able demos....guess I was wrong...

OMFG MAYBE IT TURNS GORDON'S GLASSES INTO SUNGLASSES!!!!!11111

YAA!!

k nice to know...but then why annoyed? and what do you think it would be for then? and how would it help swapping it?(as opposed to what they're doing now, whatver that might be)

but I will wait for the new movies...and then hopefully I can tell what she's really saying...

unfortunately Gabe didn't send me a transcript of the dialogue which I asked for...oh well...just have to wait I guess.

Perhaps she thinks that he will finish faster if he has a clean lens... Maybe the lens is for a laser or some other light thingie needed for the experiment

Holy crap we need some more news. This has turned into a debate over something that is probably so amazingly insignificant that it isn't even funny.

She is annoyed because she thinks the work is going to slow and asks about the polarizer because it would maybe speed the work up a bit. That, I'm shure of.
New movies? Aren't the new movies supposed to come from Valve this time? If so, then I doubt that it will be another like the big one I think most people have seen.

Originally posted by The Mullinator
Holy crap we need some more news. This has turned into a debate over something that is probably so amazingly insignificant that it isn't even funny.

And with that said, you made it so much funnier...

trust me, it is polariser.
IT IS TO DO WITH THE EXPERIMENT.

"pulveriser" what kind of smarty scientist would call a weapon that? and valve, that's not the way they work. "egon" "gauss" not "HYPER WAVE" and "BIG SHOTTY WHAMMO BEAM"

edit: i can understand you think it is pulverisor, what with the way americans swallow some of their sounds and all..

Originally posted by A.A
She is annoyed because she thinks the work is going to slow and asks about the polarizer because it would maybe speed the work up a bit. That, I'm shure of.
New movies? Aren't the new movies supposed to come from Valve this time? If so, then I doubt that it will be another like the big one I think most people have seen.

Gabe said that it(or at least one of them) would be the same...so we will get this scene with out the blurred graphics and background noise...

Gabe said that it(or at least one of them) would be the same...so we will get this scene with out the blurred graphics and background noise...

That's good. When will it be downloadable?

Originally posted by A.A

Yeah, we want it very, VERY soon:- )

Anyway, don't you think that if they have published these scenes in the e3 video one by one, with a delay of 1 or 2 weeks between them, could we have a better life now?:- )

Originally posted by A.A

he never specified it...think he just said "soon"...so judging by the game developers interpretation of "soon" that could actaully be anything from in 1 week to in about 1 year :p

hehe, well the sooner the better. Excuse my reply, I was studying for my exam. So basically I wasnt thinking:dork:

Originally posted by Wesisapie
trust me, it is polariser.
IT IS TO DO WITH THE EXPERIMENT.

"pulveriser" what kind of smarty scientist would call a weapon that? and valve, that's not the way they work. "egon" "gauss" not "HYPER WAVE" and "BIG SHOTTY WHAMMO BEAM"

edit: i can understand you think it is pulverisor, what with the way americans swallow some of their sounds and all..

I think Wesisapie hit the nail on the head - come on, would valve use such a cliché like that for naming their weapons?

No.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
I think Wesisapie hit the nail on the head - come on, would valve use such a cliché like that for naming their weapons?

No.
might be just what the doctor ordered.:eek:

I can see it now, the shotgun is now the "Doomcannon", the Mp7 the "Bowelengorger" and the RPG the "Deathblaster".

Originally posted by Dile
Yeah, we want it very, VERY soon:- )

Anyway, don't you think that if they have published these scenes in the e3 video one by one, with a delay of 1 or 2 weeks between them, could we have a better life now?:- )

No, absolutly not. I would have died if it had taken such a long time between them.

Back