The Riddle Thread

SpuD

Reaction score
I thought this would be a good Idea.

Rules:
One person will say a riddle, he will mark it in bold. People will try to answer after him, you cannot start a new riddle until the last person has said someone has answered theirs.
and, NO EDITING!
Always put the riddle in bold, so it sticks out.
We will work out the details of clues when we come to it.
Remember, You Cant start another riddle if the person who made the one your answering hasnt said someone got it yet.

Heres the first one, its kinda easy, somepeople may know it already but eh.
A police officer passed a taxi driver going the opposite direction on a one way street, why didnt the police officer arrest him? (the police officer was going the right way.)

either:
A: the police officer was walking on the sidewalk
OR
B: The taxi driver shot at the policeman an cause worldwar three to erupt while demons inhabited the earth an reaped havok everywhere while torturing mortals an little badgers, an sparrows, potatoes nerds an random rocks.

You forgot boys too.

The police officer was on the sidewalk and could not catch up to the taxi to arrest him.

Originally posted by Why?
the correct answer is the taxi driver was walking on the sidewalk
yeah thats what i meant heheh, but if thats right then why gets to make a riddle. cause i worded wrong ;(

Originally posted by Why?
the correct answer is the taxi driver was walking on the sidewalk
Why? Wins!!

Remeber you cant post a new riddle until the person who posted the last one says someone got it.

Now its someone elses turn!

A police man...oh wait. Uh...Riddles...time to visit www.riddlesforforums.com i think.

There we go.

You have 9 gold coins. All 9 coins look exactly the same but one coin is a fake and is either lighter or heavier than the other 8 coins. You have a scale - balance type with 2 trays - but can only load it twice. How do you find the fake gold coin?

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
You have 9 gold coins. All 9 coins look exactly the same but one coin is a fake and is either lighter or heavier than the other 8 coins. You have a scale - balance type with 2 trays - but can only load it twice. How do you find the fake gold coin?

I find several solutions:
A) I would go and steal a new measuring device and find the fake
B) I would take it to a cashier to exchange and hope he notices that one coin is fake, and either be surprised or gain if he doesnt notice
C) Would drop them into acid and hope the fake coin reveals itself.
D) I would take one of them on random, and assume I got the fake coin, then be happy.

You take one coin out and put it to the side.

Then you load it 2 coins at a time - one on left tray, one on right try.

And if 2 of the coins you put on disrupt the balance, take those 2 coins out (and name them coinA and coinB),

throw the other coins in the tray away (unless they are expensive) then put coinA on the left balance, and the 9th coin you took away - or one of the ones you threw away - on the right balance.

If the scale balances then the fake coin is coinB

If it doesnt balance then the fake coin is coinA

And if on the first load no 2 coins disrupted the balance, the fake coin is the 9th coin you took away.

Its a nice way of doing it. But you can only load the scales 2 times...no more. Your way you have to load it several times.

put 4 on each tray of the scales and if they balance, the fake is the one not on the scales

If they dont balace, take a coin off each side. If they balance then one of the coins which has just been removed is the fake. Remove all the coins left on the balance and put them to one side. Take one of the known real coins (any of the ones which have been put aside) and place that on one side of the balance, and one of the unknown coins. If it balances then it is not a fake and therefore the other unknown coin is the fake, and vice versa

hmm ok, i thought you meant loading as in putting them in then taking them out, not just measuring twice, time to get my coins back out again

Put one coin on the side.
Put 4 coins on each tray. (Load #1)
If they balance perfektly then the coin on the side is fake.
If not then take 1 from each side. (not a load)
If they balance out then one of the two coins you just took is a fake, else {jump to the line before};
take one of the coins you know is fake and put it on a tray, put the coin you put on the side in the beginning on the other. (Load #2)
If they dont balance then the coin on the first tray is fake.
If they do then the coin on the side is the fake.

There... thats only two loads right?

damn... spent 5 minutes writing and for what? nothing... :(

I think Murray has done it. Well done

/me gives murray a treat and pats him on the head.

Good boy...Whos a good boy...whos a good boy? Yes, you're a good boy, yes you are.

Originally posted by Murray_H
If they balance then one of the coins which has just been removed is the fake.

What if they dont balance?

If you were to take 2 off at a time untill they balanced, wouldnt that be loading it? or can you unload any amount of times, but load only twice

You can only load twice. You can take off as slowly as you want. So you could do one coin at a time if you really wanted.

Someone else make a riddle now...

A man stopped his car opposite a hotel and immediately knew that he was bankrupt, How?

the hotel was his, it was burning down, he had no insurence and he kept all his money on the premises

hey, thats a good one, now that i think about it i may have heard that one before

Solve this one then:

Of all your possessions I am the hardest to guard. If you have me, you will want to share me. If you share me, you no longer have me.

They all cheated so the guy who didnt cheat won? Is that the answer to the riddle Demon?...it was a riddle right?

Seriosuly though...

Who cheated? That one was obvious to be honest.

That coin problem

There is a more full proof way to do the 9 coin problem.

1)Seperate the coines into 3 groups of three (A, B, C).
2)Weigh A and B.
3)If (A==B){
weigh 2 coins from C}
4)Else{
which ever group weighs less(e.g. A) take 2 coins from that group and weigh again}
5)You find the false coin that weights less!!!

Thats it.

FLS- everyone cheated cause i didnt win, so they somehow cheated and i win cause i didnt cheat.

Oh..yeah i understand now.

Its like when bad things happen in the day. Take for instance when you are on the road, and someone pulls out in front of you and cuts you off, delaying you for 10 minutes. That person has waited there all day just for the right moment when you were driving up, just before you go past them, they pull out and stop you.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
Oh..yeah i understand now.

Its like when bad things happen in the day. Take for instance when you are on the road, and someone pulls out in front of you and cuts you off, delaying you for 10 minutes. That person has waited there all day just for the right moment when you were driving up, just before you go past them, they pull out and stop you.
exactly!

Re: That coin problem

Originally posted by peoplesuc
There is a more full proof way to do the 9 coin problem.

1)Seperate the coines into 3 groups of three (A, B, C).
2)Weigh A and B.
3)If (A==B){
weigh 2 coins from C}
4)Else{
which ever group weighs less(e.g. A) take 2 coins from that group and weigh again}
5)You find the false coin that weights less!!!

Thats it.

Ahh but that doesn't work since you didn't know whether the false coin was lighter or heavier.

AH! holy SH!T let me delete those, accident guys.
edit: ok , i cant edit them, so i cant delete them, Badger, FLS, help me out plz. geez, thats alot.

It wasnt sendin the message so i kept hittin the send button, i thought my internet was down, i know, im dumb.

Back