The Secret of Monkey Island...

Warped

Reaction score
....Now on Steam!

header.jpg

About the Game

Back by popular demand, The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic game (originally released in 1990) for original and new audiences alike. The development team at LucasArts is bringing the game into the modern era with an all new re-imagined contemporary art style, a re-mastered musical score, full voiceover, and an in-depth hint system to help players through the game’s side-splitting puzzles. Purists will also delight in the ability to seamlessly switch between the updated hand-drawn re-imagining and the original classic version.

The game's twisty plot leads our naive hero on a hilarious, swash-buckling search for the fabled secret of Monkey Island. Tales of pirate wealth lure him to the port of Mêlée with high hopes, no money, and insatiable curiosity. If clever enough, he will win the confidence of Mêlée's pirates and find himself blown by the winds of fate toward the terrifying and legendary Monkey Island -- an adventure that would chill the bones of even the most bloodthirsty buccaneer.

Relive the swashbuckling humorous misadventures of the wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood

* Go on a daring adventure in your attempt to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean
* Win the heart of the beautiful governor, Elaine Marley
* Along the way, confront the evil ghost pirate, LeChuck

Play it again for the first time

* All new re-imagined contemporary art style, hand-drawn to feature animation quality
* Re-mastered music score presented in full orchestrated detail
* Complete voice over using the original Monkey Island™ franchise cast brings the story and characters of the original adventures to life like never before
* Scene-for-scene hot swap allows for seamless transition between special edition and classic modes anywhere and at any time

Includes all new features

* All new intuitive game interface and controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience
* In-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun

System Requirements

o OS: Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
o Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+
o Memory: 256 MB RAM, 512 MB for Vista
o Graphics: 128 MB with Shader Model 2.0 capability
o DirectX®: 9.0c (March 2009)
o Hard Drive: 2.5GB free hard drive space
o Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compliant sound card
o Controller support: Xbox 360 controller
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/

$9.99 doesn't sound bad at all!

Six point ninety-nine of your British pounds to the roast beefs btw.

Other stuff to buy at the moment, and no money either. Will get it as soon as I can.

I might wait for the price drop. but btw this is an excellent game btw, btw

Buying this for sure.
Got the Tales of Monkey Island Episodes too, and the first was a blast :D Looking forward to this!

Edit: Purchased! Thanks for the head up :D

The system reqs are pretty steep for a game of this type, what the hell.

Got it from Steam after work. Plays just like the good old days. Fun switching between versions too. One of the all-time best games ever made. The scumm games are my favorite games ever, so I will support Lucas doing good things with them now. I eagerly await these classic for the iPhone as well. :E

The scumm games are my favorite games ever

You know, I am always on the look for adventure games. I played a lot of contemporary classics like Syberia, Secret Files, Overclocked and so on. Last week I got Lucasarts' The Dig and I'm enjoying it much more, despite the lo-res graphics and old-style animations. Scumm games had some magic in them.

Guybrush looks ultra stupid in all the screenshots I've seen. :(

It's mainly how horribly they captured his hairstyle.

You know, I am always on the look for adventure games. I played a lot of contemporary classics like Syberia, Secret Files, Overclocked and so on. Last week I got Lucasarts' The Dig and I'm enjoying it much more, despite the lo-res graphics and old-style animations. Scumm games had some magic in them.
Yup. The Dig is one of my all-time favorites as well (needless to say lol). Its my favorite videogame soundtrack at least. They are all amazing and I love playing them with their low-res graphics and all--the art is just gorgeous anyway. I have almost all of the soundtracks on my iPod at all times too. I can't wait for these to be released on the iPhone if that is truly in the cards...which it seems to be from all of the hints. I already play them on all of my other systems, but still. I would be thrilled to give LucasArts more money if it means they will be supporting this sort of development. :thumbs:

Guybrush looks ultra stupid in all the screenshots I've seen. :(

It's mainly how horribly they captured his hairstyle.

I am in agreement to an extent, but then I force myself to look at it like he has it shaved on the sides and was a member of a thrashcore band from the 80s and it is much much cooler. ;)

This is so amazingly awesome I can't put it into words... BUY IT! They've said that if it sells well they will remake others... and at this price, for one of the best games of all time, now with better sound, graphics, and recorded dialogue (!), you really have no reason not to get it. This deserves front pageage imo.

Once I finish my only 2nd replay of Episode 2, I'll probably get this. I've been meaning to replay it

Can someone buy me a present version? I'll wuv you long time.

Is it me, or are some of Secret of Monkey Island's lines just not as funny when you actually hear them spoken aloud?

Is it me, or are some of Secret of Monkey Island's lines just not as funny when you actually hear them spoken aloud?

I think it's because the dialogue direction was done for very stupid people. People who can't read or hear what is in front of them apparently

I don't know, I find the voice-acting very amusing. Maybe it's because you've heard it before and you already know the jokes.

This is my first time going through monkey island and I am having a blast.

I don't know, I find the voice-acting very amusing. Maybe it's because you've heard it before and you already know the jokes.

This is my first time going through monkey island and I am having a blast.

Wish I was playing it for the first time as well, as some of the voices are not as I have imagined them to be all these years. Game is still great though, it's Monkey Island, how could it not be?

I beat this game last night. Having never played the original, this was a lot of fun. The graphics are gorgeous and the game is hilarious. I had to use the hints a few times, some of those places in the Monkey Island jungle were easy to miss.

I hope they re-make some more of these classic games so we can enjoy them again. I'm thinking about getting the new "Tales of Monkey Island" chapters as well after playing this one.

I want to get this but I don't think that I will enjoy the game as much now that it has dialogue. I really enjoyed having to read it all before.

I want to get this but I don't think that I will enjoy the game as much now that it has dialogue. I really enjoyed having to read it all before.

Then press F10 and play the classic style.

I beat this game last night. Having never played the original, this was a lot of fun. The graphics are gorgeous and the game is hilarious. I had to use the hints a few times, some of those places in the Monkey Island jungle were easy to miss.

I hope they re-make some more of these classic games so we can enjoy them again. I'm thinking about getting the new "Tales of Monkey Island" chapters as well after playing this one.

I hope they remake some of the other ones, like Manic Mansion or Full Throttle.

What if I merely thought about... obtaining it someday?

It's been about a decade since it was actually commercially available anyway. TheOneFreeMan wants his minute of Shia Le Boeuf authoritah nonetheless, and will savagely beat me for selling my copy for reasonable monies a year or so ago.

I think it's because the dialogue direction was done for very stupid people. People who can't read or hear what is in front of them apparently

This. I'm finding I prefer playing it in the original format Vs the new.

I wish I could buy both of the new Monkey Island games in stores, because I'm one of those people who wants to be able to have the game on a disc or some concrete material and not just ones and zeros.

I wish I could buy both of the new Monkey Island games in stores, because I'm one of those people who wants to be able to have the game on a disc or some concrete material and not just ones and zeros.

i used to be one of those persons....until i realized that when i buy a game on Steam I have it for life! my desk has never looked better

i used to be one of those persons....until i realized that when i buy a game on Steam I have it for life! my desk has never looked better

Yeah, I have great confidence in Steam too, but still.

Yeah, I have great confidence in Steam too, but still.

Once you've payed for a digital game, there are always other ways of getting a physical copy.

Besides, if you buy Tales Of Monkey Island direct from the Telltale store, when the season is over you can get a disc for the price of shipping that contains the episodes as well as a load of bonus stuff.

Once you've payed for a digital game, there are always other ways of getting a physical copy.

Besides, if you buy Tales Of Monkey Island direct from the Telltale store, when the season is over you can get a disc for the price of shipping that contains the episodes as well as a load of bonus stuff.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Only question is if whether that's a trustworthy transaction.

Back