The Somme Valley Needs Your Help

Reaction score
About The Somme Valley
The Somme Valley is a realistic WW1 mod primarily for Half-Life 2, but currently is developing a Demo version on the original Half-Life engine. There are three countries to choose from (The Commonwealth, Germany, and France*), each with four classes to play (Infantry, Officer, Mobile Machine gunner, Stationary Machine gunner*).

There is an interactive progressive map system, similar to that of a single player series of maps*. Both sides will start on one map, and it will be the Commonwealth/French's objective to push Germany back, as was the objective in 1916 at the Battle of the Somme. Germany however can counter-attack on the maps, and push the Commonwealth and the French back to the previous battlefield. Therefore, it is up to the player to dictate how history might have happened.

A WW1 mod wouldn't be complete without artillery and gas attacks*, now would it? The Somme Valley will include both of these, and will be represented in a realistic manner, only being able to be called in by the Officer class.

Many other features will be included as well, and as the Beta's go on, more features (such as new teams, weapons, map campaigns, etc.) will be added.

Note: Features with a * next to it will only be included in the Half-Life 2 version, and not the Half-Life demo. Hence it being called a demo.

Posistions Hiring
Weapons Modeler: We are looking for a talented modeler to do both View (v_model) and Player weapon models (p_model). Such weapons include the Short Magazine Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk. 3, Lewis .303 Light Machinegun, Mills Bomb No. 5, etc. All reference material will be provided by our historians. Please be prepared to show examples of your work.

Weapons UV Unwrapper: In order for our skinners to do their jobs, they need something to skin! We are looking for a talented UV Unwrapper to unwrap weapon models (some of which are listed above). Please be prepared to show examples of your work.

Weapons Skinner: We are looking for one or two more weapons skinners, to skin both Half-Life demo and Half-Life 2 weapon models (some of which are listed above). All reference material will be provided by our historians. Please be prepared to show examples of your work.

Weapons Animator: We're looking for a talented animator who can animate Bolt-Action rifles, oddly-designed machineguns (leave it to the turn of the century to make something that looks normal, eh?), pistols, and grenades. All reference material will be provided by our historians. Please be prepared to show examples of your work.

Level Designer: No mod is complete without good grounds to play on. We're looking for a few talented level designers (mappers) who are proficient in both terrain mapping (i.e. trench maps), and destroyed urban maps. All reference material will be provided by our historians. Please be prepared to show examples of your work.

If you have another skill you feel can be contributed to the mod, please feel free to apply as well. We're always looking for fresh talent to speed production along!

Contact Information
Web Site: http://www.sommevalley.com/
Message Boards: http://www.sommevalley.com/forums/
IRC Channel: #somme @ irc.gamesurge.net
E-Mail: [email protected]

This is a high-quality mod people. You'd be doing yourselves a favor to join it. Good luck!

Lol, I just have already seen ww1 mod for hl2, and it has lots done. Also a ww1 mod for hl1 that is already out and is pretty damn good. So, I was basing it on the origanality factor :)

Wilhelm_III said:
Lol, I just have already seen ww1 mod for hl2, and it has lots done. Also a ww1 mod for hl1 that is already out and is pretty damn good. So, I was basing it on the origanality factor :)
Thanks for the flame sparkey. OTT is no more like TT than TSV is to both of them, try reading about the mods before you start insulting them. People like you are how mod wars get started, ignorance is no excuse.

;) Not trying to offend you, I was just in a bad mood, one of the guys on my team had just left, and I was pissed off. Still, they are all ww1 mods, so that is one thing in commen ;)

I do not know, I just do not see the origianality in it. Though that is probably just me ;)

I like this smiley ;)

Well, you can avoid disappointment if you become a one-man mod team :p

-Angry Lawyer

Wilhelm_III said:
;) Not trying to offend you, I was just in a bad mood, one of the guys on my team had just left, and I was pissed off. Still, they are all ww1 mods, so that is one thing in commen ;)

I do not know, I just do not see the origianality in it. Though that is probably just me ;)

I like this smiley ;)
Well, that's kinda like comparing MoH:AA and CoD or something. Both WW2, but both totaly different. I've played TT, and quite obviously my own mod (woo for beta), and I guarntee you they are nothing alike. TT has pro's over TSV, TSV has pros over TT, just as Im sure will be the case with OTT when they release on HL2.

In fact, I've been talking with saur lately from OTT, and I'll be bouncing ideas off of him about my own mod, to make sure OTT and TSV don't end up doing the same thing in two different mods. I've also made a few changes to TSV in account of TT, to make us even more unique apart from them (and other mods for that matter).

OTT, TT, and TSV will all be different. The only thing common is the general theme of the mod (WW1), and some of the weaponry as well.

And no sweat about offending me, I just mis-understood :thumbs:

Back