The story of Gordon "Ammo" Hendrix

ductonius

Reaction score
As many of you who have read the Defense Command design doc know, players will be able to upgrade thier units with Heroes to give them special abilities or skills. Each hero wil also have a story behind them to add charachter and flavor to the game.

So, without further delay, here's the story of Gordon "Ammo" Hendrix of the North West Returners.

Warning for those with crystal ears/eyes: Some swearing, four words to be exact.

Gordon “Ammo” Hendrix grit his teeth and let loose another stream of lead as trenchoated figures dashed between two crumbled buildings. Most of the Prols attacking location 426, just south of the Coraman bridge escaped the attack but a straggler, was too slow and took a bullet. His back arched as his feet failed under him and he fell face first into the dirt.

“Another one of you mother-f**
kers down.” He growled, scanning the ground ahead of his position behind what used to be a foundation.

A squad-mate beside him, also with a machinegun, swiveled it suddenly and opened fire on a group sneaking up to them from a blind spot. Unfortunately, it was too late. A bullet zipped past Ammo’s head but another found its mark on his squad-mate. There was a wet sucking noise as the back of the mans head was blown out and onto the wall behind them. He slumped forward, instantly dead. His helmet rolled off revealing a fist sized hole in the back of his head and a mass of crumpled bone profusely oozing blood.

Ammo quickly ducked into cover and stared at the man. The rage he felt at fighting these invaders in his home city redoubled as the insult of this latest casualty sank in. No longer able to contain it, he grabbed his dead squad-mates machinegun and fired it and his own over the wall blindly to make the Prols duck.

His lieutenant noticed him just as he was getting up. “Ammo! Stay down, hey Ammo….” But Ammo had already stepped over the wall. “F**k! Covering fire!”

“I’ll get you mother-f**kers! I’ll execute every mother-f**king last one of you!” Ammo screamed as he pointing both machineguns at the Prol position and moved forward with all the rage of a madman.

Three Prols stood up out of their position and aimed for him, but his bullets go there first and they fell back, dead or wounded. He felt two bullets strike his torso armour and he turned to confront the source. The Prols he had shot at earlier had found their way into a trench and were using it for cover. He ran toward their position, spraying it with fire and approached it from the side. Expecting him to come from the front, the Prols were caught off guard and Ammo made quick work of them with his dual machineguns.

He hopped down into the trench and paused to catch his breath. He heard a noise, a nearly silent squeak and wheeled around, pointing both machineguns in the face of a surviving Prol. Unhurt, the Prol cowered in the corner, sobbing and rocking slowly back and fourth, nearly paralyzed with fear. Ammo starred at him; he was a sight of pity, and although he had one of the Prols makeshift grenade launchers, he was harmless; he had lost his nerves. Another sound, that of an engine prompted Ammo to turn away and he slowly peeped over the lip of the trench. A Prol convert APC sped over the bridge, probably bringing twenty or more reinforcements for the assault.

Ammo’s rage rose again and he snatched the grenade launcher from the weeping Prols hands. Carefully aiming, he fired and a moment later, the grenade landed to the left front side of the APC. In slow motion it tipped and then fell over spilling men from its unsecured hatches. Ammo reloaded and aimed again. Waiting for it to stop, he fired and scored a direct hit. The truck exploded and was entirely engulfed in flames from its split gas tank. Another APC, at the other end of the bridge stopped, reversed, turned around and sped off. The survivors – those who had been thrown from the APC - ran toward Ammo’s position with their hands raised.

His rage still burning inside him, Ammo dropped the grenade launcher and leveled his machineguns, but just then another squad-mate jumped into the trench and pushed the muzzles down. “Hey, easy man, easy. They’re prisoners now.”

Ammo calmed, “Yeah, I know.” He said, dropping the guns to his sides.

The squads interpreter hopped into the trench and began to instruct the Prols in their version of English. Ammo turned, climbed out of the trench and walked back to where the rest of the squad was sitting. He didn’t care about the risks he had taken, or who he had to kill. All he knew was that although the Prols might try, location 426 would not fall, at least not today.

The current plan for "Ammo" is, if put in a squad, to allow everyone in a squad to carry machineguns and give a 25% bonus to rate of fire. In additoin, Ammo carries two MG's.

If you would like to join the Defense Command mod, we're currently looking for all manners of talent.

3d artists
2d artists
Writers (who can do more of these storeis)
Programmers.

Email at [email protected]

Defense Command Hompage

hmmmmm.... it's nice to see an origanal mod idea..... but the rest of it is derivitve.... sorry :(

Originally posted by mrBadger
hmmmmm.... it's nice to see an origanal mod idea..... but the rest of it is derivitve.... sorry :(

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Its a good idea... but the concepts are not origianal, same old sci-fi style tank designs.... same old "My god, there attacking the bridge"

Thats just the thing, you can't make a mod thats a WC3 Clone.... since really thats notthing origianal

sorry ;(

I like the idea. Its nice to see an idea that doesn't revolve around being stuck, alone somewhere and you have to "kill everyone and get out" to win. Something that hasn't been dont 100 times, like being part of a squad or whatnot.

^ check out Operation Everlasting Shadow... you'll be pleasently suprised :)

Its a good idea... but the concepts are not origianal, same old sci-fi style tank designs.... same old "My god, there attacking the bridge"

Do you have any suggestions of how I could design a tank based on moden design principals that will result in what you see as an origional looking tank?

The story is intended to give background and character to the units and individuals a person will be figting with. It is the backstory, so to speak, of an individual "hero". The backstory of the Defense Command universe is much larger.

Thats just the thing, you can't make a mod thats a WC3 Clone.... since really thats notthing origianal

I'm a bit confused as to why you are calling this a WC3 clone. Having though about the possibile similarities betwee the games I don't see how such a statement is possible.

1a. In WC3 you control a bunch of units comprising of single individuals.

1b. In Defense Command, you control a single unit comprisin of multiple individuals.

2a. In WC3 the camera hovers above all your units.

2b. In Defnese Command thge camera hovers above and behind your single unit, similar to the "over the shoulder" cameras in many FPS's.

3a. In WC3 the heros are thier own units.

3b. In Defense Command, the heros must be attached to a unit, and act as a memeber of it.

4a. In WC3 multiplayer is between 12 people max and each side has thier own army.

4b. In Defense command, Multiplayer can be between as many people as you want (limited only by the net code) and there are only two sides to a game.

I could go on, but the number of examples where the two games are virtually the exact opposite of each other is just so staggering that I'd be here all day, if I listed them all.

If you have gotten the impression that it is a WC3 clone, then I encourage you to read the design doc. You will see it is enterly its own game.

Back