The Vortigaunt Janitor in Station 17

Wilsonator

Reaction score
-wears a mind control collar!

I'm sure they ditched those after the Nihilanth died. Maybe the Nihilanth's death was just the lapse in concentration the Vorts needed, and the Combine are now passing direct orders to them.

You can find the collared Vortigaunt model in the HL2 Model Viewer.

What do you think?

I think the combine simply picked up stranded Vortigaunts and slapped a collor on them, keeping them under control.

I am sure this didn't go unoticed..

Cool, didn't even notice, but at least it makes sense. But then I wonder why they have a guard watching him.

What other games are as overanalyzed as HL2 I wonder :D

lazicsavo said:
What other games are as overanalyzed as HL2 I wonder :D

What other games (esp. FPS) CAN BE as overanalyzed? :)

Re

Resident Evil is famous for rabid overanalysation. (Is that a word?)

Freespace, now thats an awesomee game and very overanalized

If you look closely, you'll notice that the collar that the Vort wears is different to the ones they used to wear as Xen slaves. It's probably a Combine version of the collar. Plus, he has some device around his waist, which the Xen Slave-Vortigaunts didn't have. You also see another Combine-slave Vort in Nova Prospekt... dead though. ( ;( )

Tha HL1 collar was a Combine collar, too. Why do you think the HL2-collar is mind controlling? It probably protects only from "discharging". :)

Here's a comparison:

vorts5sa.jpg

The Combine slave has a lot more devices on him. He has the pelvic thing, the shackles, and two collars around the neck. While the Xen slave only has shackles and a neck collar.

Its probably totally different technology than from the first game. Tell me how many overwatchpulserifle-toting vortigaunts you saw in the first game.

That model was used in Nova Prospekt to chain the Vortigaunt up to the machinery right?

The Vortigaunts look very similar, its probably just a model update rather than anything significant.

uh...

anyway...

The Vort in HL1 has more than one eye. And his skin is darker.
</overanalization>

Vorts

Now, now let's keep racism out of this. j/k

I wonder where all their eye went?

There eyes died tue to lack of rendering power, wich isn't realy the case...

As I see it, the Vorts in HL1 wore Combine technology on them too, controlled by the Nihilanth, who was a Combine puppet like Breen is. The Vorts that came under the Combine control again, got the shackles again to keep them under control as you can't disarm a Vort (they have no weapons) and they probably have psychic abilities too.

It's interesting to think that the Xen collars might have been there to magnify the Vort's electrical attack (thus making it a stronger soldier), while the Combine tech (on Earth), works to suppress the electrical attack (so that the Vorts can't turn on their masters).

I always thought that the slave collars were meant to explode or possibly just torture the vorts if they disobeyed.

Vortigaunts in HL2 do have more than 1 eye. Keep watching the one in Water Hazard and he kind of reverse blinks with his other ones.

Wilsonator said:
-wears a mind control collar!

I'm sure they ditched those after the Nihilanth died. Maybe the Nihilanth's death was just the lapse in concentration the Vorts needed, and the Combine are now passing direct orders to them.

You can find the collared Vortigaunt model in the HL2 Model Viewer.

What do you think?

I think he gave up without a fight, and turned himself to be a slave.

Are those collars really mind control collars? I think they're just some transceiver or a torture equip so when they attempt to escape they can be easily found/stunned.

Or maybe he's a spy. Alyx said, the vortis send back info from Nova.

algi said:
Or maybe he's a spy. Alyx said, the vortis send back info from Nova.
Interesting point. Makes me wonder if the Combine-enslaved Vorts still have their hive-minded properties.

sfc_hoot said:
Interesting point. Makes me wonder if the Combine-enslaved Vorts still have their hive-minded properties.

I'd say the collars replace that with a Combine-friendly group mind.

Back