the Xen Aliens

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
Having played through the game now and thinking of all the interactions between Gordon and the Vortigaunts...i got the feeling that maybe, just maybe these Xen Aliens while not forced to (just had no option really) decided to join the human resistance.

Partly what got me thinking was right after u finish killing the Antlion Guard in Sandtraps and u proceed into the encampment and the two Vorts tell u to step aside and such..

the other being early in the game, when u finally get to talk to the first Vortigaunt in the game.. if u continue pressing E i remember he says something about being "forced" to find an alliance.

in one sense it would make sense for the Xen creatures to still kinda be angry at humans for these experiments but theres very little time to be angry about it as well considering the events taking place.

thoughts? comments?

Since there is often confusion about what the vortigaunts say… I like to post this early and often…
Lou Gossett said:
npc_vortigaunt.vmono_01" "Is it the Freeman? "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_02" "Comes a man? It is! The Freeman!
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_03" "We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_04" "There is no distance between us. No false veil of time or space may intervene. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_05" "We see you still in Black Mesa. Clearly we see you in the Nihilanth's chamber. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_06" "We bear witness to the bright eternity of the Nihilanth's demise. You leap, you fall, we see you flash beyond the barriers. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_07" "For a brief time you joined with us. You are one. Between the worlds. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_08" "Communion of the vortessence. And that other: a deeper mystery. No deeper than the void itself. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_09" "We cannot forget those whose cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_10" "Unity of purpose, the shattering of common shackles, a single road we tread. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_11" "Your song we sing and shall sing for eternity. No matter the consequences of this struggle. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_12" "You have brought us grief and jubilation beyond measure. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_13" "We are there still, in observance of your final stroke. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_14" "While our own lay scattered at your feet, you severed the vortal cord that bound the Nihilanth to life, and to us. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_15" "That sharp spur of hope has not dulled to this day. For once the lesser master lay defeated, we knew the greater must also fall in time. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_16" "With you beside us, a talisman of victory, the day of freedom draws nigh. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_17" "Your bright face obscures your darker mask. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_18" "We call you sib, although your mind and meaning are a mystery to us. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_19" "Far distant eyes look out through yours. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_20" "Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it. " "npc_vortigaunt.vmono_21" "We have endured these chafing bonds for eons, yet a single moment of further servitude seems intolerable! "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_22" "How often have we slipped our yoke, only to find it choking us again. " "npc_vortigaunt.vmono_23" "Let this war end in either total victory or our extinction. No further compromise shall we allow. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_24" "We take our stand beside you, here, upon this miserable rock. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_25" "The way ahead is dark for the moment. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_26" "What seems to you a sacrifice is merely, to us, an oscillation. We do not fear the interval of darkness. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_27" "We are a tapestry woven of vortessence. It is the same for you if only you would see it. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_28" "How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass? "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_29" "Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vmono_30" "We are you, Freeman. And you are us. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese02" "<norepeat:10>Ah ghurrrr..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese03" "<norepeat:10>Taaar..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese04" "<norepeat:10>Riiit..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese05" "<norepeat:10>Lung gah..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese07" "<norepeat:10>Gong..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese08" "<norepeat:10>Galanga..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese09" "<norepeat:10>Ga la lung... "
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese11" "<norepeat:10>Churr galing chur alla gung..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vortigese12" "<norepeat:10>Chur lung gong chella gurr..."
"npc_vortigaunt.vques01" "We have lost all dear to us."
"npc_vortigaunt.vques02" "The Combine will pay in kind for their depravity."
"npc_vortigaunt.vques03" "Hope is in sight. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques04" "This marks a turning point. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques05" "Such pessimism will doom us all. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques06" "We have survived darker times. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques07" "We are mindful of the words of our greatest philosopher: companum gannennen vorgenot!"
"npc_vortigaunt.vques08" "You humans, always in the qualidity. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques09" "We deem this company inviolable. "
"npc_vortigaunt.vques10" "Your companionship is greatly belabored. "
"npc_vortigaunt.ware" "Ware! "
"npc_vortigaunt.warefm" "Ware, Freeman! "
"npc_vortigaunt.warningfm" "Warning to the Freeman. "
"npc_vortigaunt.weareyours" "We are yours. "
"npc_vortigaunt.webeofuse" "Freeman, we could be of use to you. "
"npc_vortigaunt.weclaimyou" "We claim you. "
"npc_vortigaunt.wefollowfm" "We follow the Freeman. "
"npc_vortigaunt.wehonored" "We are honored. "
"npc_vortigaunt.weknowyou" "We know you. "
"npc_vortigaunt.wellmet" "Well met, Freeman. "
"npc_vortigaunt.weshare" "We shall share the vortessence. "
"npc_vortigaunt.wewillcharge" "We will charge you. "
"npc_vortigaunt.wewillhelp" "We will help you. "
"npc_vortigaunt.whereto" "Where to now? And to what end? "
"npc_vortigaunt.willremain" "We will remain if you so instruct. "
"npc_vortigaunt.worthless" "Our life is worthless unless spent on freedom. "
"npc_vortigaunt.yes" "Yes! "
"npc_vortigaunt.yesforward" "Yes, forward. "
"npc_vortigaunt.chant03" "Hurrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Churrrrrrrrrrr---Koff! Hack! Wheeze!"
"npc_vortigaunt.corporeal" "We never dreamed to meet you in corporeal form. "
Which line in particular were you thinking of?

Is This Tea said:
Which line in particular were you thinking of?

darn.. u know i am not sure which Vortigaunt says something about Freedom but it got me thinking... i am sure its near the beginning..
anyway u do remember the dialogue at the Sandtraps camp right?

besides...Valve did not explore the frustration the Xen creatures have gone through so far in the HL series (for obvious reasons) but one way the HL series could be more than a triology is explaining the Xen creatures' side of the story.

Dr. Freeman said:
darn.. u know i am not sure which Vortigaunt says something about Freedom but it got me thinking... i am sure its near the beginning.
I'm pretty sure that dialogue is the dial from the beginning... *shrugs* Well I cant wipe your ass for you. If you want a discussion about the line... You’re gonna have to find it. ;)

well vorts were probably 'forced' to join the resistance, because there was no way for them to return to Xen. so they had really no choice - either be part of the resistance or get hunted down by the combine.
and as we know Gordon freed them from combine oppression by killing Nihilath (the lesser master), so they feel like helping humanity in our struggle with the Combine.

We take our stand beside you
We are yours
Your song we sing and shall sing for eternity. No matter the consequences of this struggle

and yes, they have reasons to be angry on humanity.
after all we killed dozens of them in HL1;)

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend"? ;)

oberGeist said:

If they didn't want to die they shouldn't have attacked me.

TheAmazingRando said:
If they didn't want to die they shouldn't have attacked me.

They were slaves in HL1, controlled by Ninilath (i probably misspelled it)

I know they where being mind-controlled by the Nilinanth *definately spelled wrong.* They still shouldn't of attacked me.

TheAmazingRando said:
I know they where being mind-controlled by the Nilinanth *definately spelled wrong.* They still shouldn't of attacked me.

How in the hell they shouldn't have attacked Gordon in HL1 if they were CONTROLLED by Nihilanth? Do you think they wanted to kill Gordon because they wanted to from the first place?

TheAmazingRando said:
I was meaning it jokingly. I like Vortigaunts.
I’ve learned that its just best to add a ;) to the end of all statements not to be taken seriously. Text often doesn’t convey emotional tone we want it too and were not exactly a group of inspired writers here. Also people are stupid and unacquainted with sarcasm ;)

taco's ARE awesome.
Also, after sandtraps when you're in the camp and the Vortigaunt teaches you to use bugbait, the two vorts talking in their native language tell you it's rude of them to speak in their language and they'll speak english... unless they want to say something unflattering about you. Then they start talking Vortigaunt again.
I loved that bit :D

oberGeist said:

okay...so u understand the premise of my post.
now its all speculation on my part but if the combine are defeated, or forced to retreat in HL3 do u think the Xen creatures would not want to stand along humans anymore?

Dr. Freeman said:
okay...so u understand the premise of my post.
now its all speculation on my part but if the combine are defeated, or forced to retreat in HL3 do u think the Xen creatures would not want to stand along humans anymore?
They were slaves before… their masters made them go to war… they didn’t want anything to do with it then and they wont want anything to do with making war in the future…
That’s the feeling I receive from the conversations with them… you seem to be getting a different vibe from a certain line of dialogue… I wish you would let me know what that line is so I can read it myself and try to understand your point of view.

Back