Theft

Jandor

Reaction score
Garrys mod stole source code from JBMod:

HL2World said:
[update to story added]

It came to the attention of the JBMod team yesterday that Garry of Garry's Mod is in posession and actively redistributing stolen source code of JBMod. JBMod has contacted him and requested (and demanded) the immediate removal of their intelletual property.

His only response was that he would remove it when told by his "solicitor." He also stated he wishes to be the "king of modding."

It has now been over 24 hours, and through the encouragement of several of his forum members, JBMod's stolen (but dated) source code has been spread over the internet through Garry and Garry.tv website.

The following is JBMod's official statement:

JBMod Team said:
We at JBMod find this to be a disgusting action on behalf of Garry and Garry's Mod. What reputable member of the Half-Life modification community would knowingly take possession of stolen property of another mod and redistribute, stealing trade secrets of that team?

Garry's actions are plain and clear: theft and the redistribution of stolen property, done blatantly and without regard. We have contacted the appropriate people by order of the DMCA to remove these files.

We request the entire Half-Life community to appeal to Garry to remove JBMod's Intellectual Property from his servers, and to cease in biligerant actions against other Half-Life modding teams. Not only is he in direct violation of the DMCA and JBMod's copyrights, he is smearing the entire modding community by showing zero respect for the rights of other modding teams.

We know anyone who has spent time creating, building, designing, and implenting their own creations can understand the sickening actions that Garry and Garry.tv have committed.

Garry said:
You know feedbag, if you'd have emailed me asking me to remove it instead of attacking me with your bullshit legal threats I would have removed it.

But now I'm not going to. I have a pre-paid legal service I've only had to use once anyway - so knock yourself out. You don't have a leg to stand on.

HL2World said:
To be sure, I have contacted Garry several times in the last 24 hours through his IRC channel. Here is the log of my original requests to garry:
<feedbag> you are hosting code that is owned by *************
<feedbag> please remove it
<feedbag> i'll request again that you remove the code from your website immediately
<feedbag> the code you have posted is property of ************* and you are in direct violation of our copyrights
<garry> I'll remove it when my solicitor has verified that I have to

Dunno if everyone has heard about this. But you need a few more topics in here anyway ;) .

damn..might explain why v8 isn't out yet ;)
this is pretty evil if its true..what the hell is wrong with the world?

Hmm, don't Garry and the JBMod gang hang around at hl2wourllldd.com? They're probably all 12 year old kids, who cares.

I am not 12 years old.

And jbmod is cancelled mainly because a feature we had kept tightlipped was leaked by someone to garry and now it is in v8 soon. So we all agreed to call it quits plus I have begun work on my mod hydramod.

So much drama over a crappy game mod, come on people

If that story is true, then the irony is so staggeringly wonderful.

Garrys mod is pretty crappy.

It's a shame about JBMod.

Wheres the irony?

Whats the difference between a super moderator and a normal moderator? ;)

Super moderators can patrol the whole forums while normal mods only do a few.

And there's probably a few other differences.

The irony is people from hl2world complaining about someone stealing source code and using it without their permission.

Pi Mu Rho said:
The irony is people from hl2world complaining about someone stealing source code and using it without their permission.
Come now, do the evil laugh with me.

*evil laugh*

Pi Mu Rho said:
If that story is true, then the irony is so staggeringly wonderful.

lol.. I never looked at it like that... thats actually quite funny.

You're always on the ball, Pi

Pi Mu Rho said:

i dont get it. Probably because im about as 'on the ball' as a dead goldfish. can someone explain?

Personally, i think that garry and jbmod have got into that traditional 'legal battle' where neither are going to get what they want. Itll only end when one side just cant be bothered anymore and gives in.

How can I put this delicately?

The denizens of the hl2world modding community have traditionally shown less moral scruples when it comes to using, say, the stolen build and source of HL2 than most people do.
Hence the irony.

row-ful coe-pter (a posh roflcopter, like an apache)

What goes around, comes around eh?

Pi Mu Rho said:

The denizens of the hl2world modding community have traditionally shown less moral scruples when it comes to using, say, the stolen build and source of HL2 than most people do.
Hence the irony.

And didn't JBmod even use code from the stolen build on a early version of the mod?

Personally I am glad this happened so now I can move on and stop working on those types of boring mods. ie gmod and jbmod.

Jandor said:
Garrys mod is pretty crappy.

It's a shame about JBMod.

Wheres the irony?

Whats the difference between a super moderator and a normal moderator? ;)

Garry's mod is far from crappy, jbmod is/was horrid. It crashed every 5 minutes. In Garry's mod I can do the same thing except a TON more with little to no crashes.

so sorry if they stole your mod but guess what would really have beenworking on it as much as they had and released v8 this soon in a way all source mods are open source and the code can be borrowed because you do not own anything and that is why you cant sell mods without valves symbol of approval on it

Wow, that's wierd. I didn't think Garry would do something like that =/. How did he get the code anyway?

I actually know some of this from garrys point of view.
What happened was..
Someone gave Garry the source code. That person had said he could distribute it as he wished(I believe he was part of the team at one time).

The others said no thats wrong, wtf Garry.

Garrys just was confused and didn't know wtf was going on, so eventually later that day he removed the link.

Overall Garry was thrown into the middle of what seems to be an old member trying to get back at the rest of the team.

I'm just here to deliver the story based upon my knowledge.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Hence the irony.

Quoted for truth. It's like burglars crying for police because someone stole their escape vehicle in the middle of a bank robbery.

This sums up the irony quite nicely (props to someone else)...

Attachments

• hl2world.jpg
    hl2world.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 351
Back