There IS a virus in the source

Reaction score
Just thought I really should tell you. One of my friends downloaded the source and there WAS a virus. He has since had to re-format his hard disk. I seriously recommend you dont download the files. Not least because its immoral.

Who knows who put the virus there eh, probably a HL2 fan. Now theres an idea (Goes puts viruses in Source downloads and redistributes them)
:cheers:

Originally posted by marksmanHL2 :)
Just thought I really should tell you. One of my friends downloaded the source and there WAS a virus. He has since had to re-format his hard disk. I seriously recommend you dont download the files. Not least because its immoral.

Who knows who put the virus there eh, probably a HL2 fan. Now theres an idea (Goes puts viruses in Source downloads and redistributes them)
:cheers:

Now that the FBI is in on this...do you think there's any way for them to stop the distribution? I'm sure there will always be someone with it on their HD...I'm optimistic though.

I dont think we can stop it to be honest. Mearly slow it down. I have put some very small text files all over kazaa with the filename HL2source and other similar names to trick stupid people into wasteing their time. They will give up eventualy if they cant find it. Well thats my plan at least. :)

its too late for them to stop it. stopping file distribution on the internet is just impposible. all valve can hope for now is some damage control.

Originally posted by otomo
its too late for them to stop it. stopping file distribution on the internet is just impposible. all valve can hope for now is some damage control.

I'm not sadistic or anything but if I were Gabe and was given the option to have some time alone with the perp(s) in question via the FBI...I'd beat the SOB within an inch of his life. Five years worth of millions of dollars and hard work from some of the most talented artists and programmers in the games industry should say something about the mentality of the individual(s) behind this heinous crime.

I got it I love it an its boooooring...nope no virus either...I must have good Karma

I suggest everyone makes FAKE source files and puts them all over the internet making it imposible to find the real thing. If even one tenth of this forum helped then nobody would ever find it again.

The one problem is that valve would not be able to find the code either meaning they might find it even harder to trace. What do you guys think?

oh and mate, the virus on my mates didnt do anything for a while. I suggest you check. Also, its very illegal to have the source on your machine. I suggest to get rid of it. The more people who get rid of it the better. I mean what can you actualy do on it. Nothing interesting or worth doing. So why keep it. And its soooooo morraly wrong :)

I thought of one potential way to really slow down the distribution of the code:

It would be a drastic measure but here it is. In the next patch for Steam, make it search your harddrive for any of the source files. If it finds them then it deletes them on you. Everyone who is going to aquire HL2 will have to get steam so it is an effective way to help delete the files en-masse. As for the legalities, in the Steam licensing agreement there is probably something that lets them do this.

i velvet roped a 32meg file saying it was hl2 sorce and it puts trojan on there system *netbus* and a keylogger :) o yeah and it is now on kazza

just tryin to teach them a lesson

The Steam code was leaked too..Valve cannot release it on steam due to the fact that your Credit card # will be in there....bu bu no halflife2 for any of us

Originally posted by The Mullinator
I thought of one potential way to really slow down the distribution of the code:

It would be a drastic measure but here it is. In the next patch for Steam, make it search your harddrive for any of the source files. If it finds them then it deletes them on you. Everyone who is going to aquire HL2 will have to get steam so it is an effective way to help delete the files en-masse. As for the legalities, in the Steam licensing agreement there is probably something that lets them do this.

That would work, but deleting stuff off people's hard drives is pretty damn invasive. I think it would be smarter to scan for the files, and if they're found, the person can't log on to Steam until they are removed. The problem with that is people could find a way to hide the code from Steam.

So whezzy what are you gonna do to the perps once they catch your trojan?

GJ i hope you relise what you did by downloding that... and there ws no steam code in there

i really wish valve would ditch the idea of downloading half life 2 via steam i dont want my copy of half life 2 to be held back due to that. i can barely get patches thru steam.

Originally posted by Bedwetting Type
That would work, but deleting stuff off people's hard drives is pretty damn invasive. I think it would be smarter to scan for the files, and if they're found, the person can't log on to Steam until they are removed. The problem with that is people could find a way to hide the code from Steam.
Ya thats a better idea. If your computer has the code on it then your banned from Steam. It is true you could hide the code, but it would make the code much harder to find which is what the current goal should be.

nothing they have netbus installed any1 who has the netbus client installed canfu*ck with there system

did you look at it!

Sorry stupid post....
People in Korea an the middle east need steam

o yeah i wont hack them i just put a trojan and keylogger on that so other guys can hack em :)

*EDIT* OMG IM A ZOMBIE LETS PRTY!!!!

Originally posted by The Mullinator
Ya thats a better idea. If your computer has the code on it then your banned from Steam. It is true you could hide the code, but it would make the code much harder to find which is what the current goal should be.

No, not banned permanently, just denied access to Steam as long as the code can be found. Remember those CD keys cost money...

The less people Valve pisses off, the better.

i'd rather have a publisher than a delayed HL2 due to lack of bandwidth.

perhaps valve should release a virus to search and destroy hl2 code. (deny all involvement, get someone to release it from the other side of the globe, etc) heh.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
I'm not sadistic or anything but if I were Gabe and was given the option to have some time alone with the perp(s) in question via the FBI...I'd beat the SOB within an inch of his life. Five years worth of millions of dollars and hard work from some of the most talented artists and programmers in the games industry should say something about the mentality of the individual(s) behind this heinous crime.

the only thing gabe would gain from that is jail time.

I just put up a 119 MB deer hunter demo on kazaa named HL2 leaked source with a readme that says:

YOU ARE A DUMBASS FOR WANTING ILLEGAL SOURCE FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if it will spread.

So what my Hl2 source is real an has no virii...an its out there too

Re: Re: There IS a virus in the source

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Now that the FBI is in on this...do you think there's any way for them to stop the distribution? I'm sure there will always be someone with it on their HD...I'm optimistic though.
Did you put a trojan on Valve's computers when you were their?

hey its halflife2 related and in general discussion

I'm not telling people to get it

hmm about netbus, just go into safe mode to remove the trojan, and besides, if you get into their system and screw around, not only is that illegal, but that imo, is worse than downloading Source; it definitely isn't for educational purposes, now is it? :p

its really boring an takes along time to compile
my guess is if you've poked around with Source while you had it, you found it very interesting, but you don't want to admit it; you're not gonna get banned, just don't promote it

although it's wrong to dl it, there's no way that five years of code is "boring" even if it's tedious to compile

Originally posted by GJaaGular
So what my Hl2 source is real an has no virii...an its out there too

well yippidy shit for you douche bag. have fun with that illegal piece of shit and i hope you enjoy wasting your life looking at code that does nothing for you. you arent the most intelligent person obviously.....posting on boards that you have the code *looks at ip logged button*.

Back