There will be gibbing in HL2,

Originally posted by mrBadger
far from it: between the plot, the facial expressions the AI.... HL2 is gonna be a pony with a hell of a lot of trix....

(On a side note, Valve emailed back...us British modders will be getting our SDK just as fast....this is why Valve is the king of the developers :) )

No, I said HL2 is NOT a one trick pony, I was comparing it to SoF2, which was.

HL2 is far from that.. it's like some kind of cross-bred pony-human. Or something.

I didn't mean you said it was a one trick pony, I was agreeing with the fact that SoF _was_.....and HL2 won't be :)

Oh. Right, I thought you thought I was talking about HL2 being a one trick pony when you replied with this:

Originally posted by mrBadger
far from it: between the plot, the facial expressions the AI.... HL2 is gonna be a pony with a hell of a lot of trix....

But if not, nevermind.

When a limb gets blown off, image the detail using the source engine, all the bits of blood, muscles, etc etc, but IMO I dont think they will include tha ability to blow limbs off, we weill just have to wait and see when EVIL gets the e-mail from Gabe :)

Originally posted by djkanuk
Watch when Gordon starts up the rotor... one of the zombies is hacked in half and continues crawling legless towards you. If HL2 is capable of this kind of deforming character models, the days of generic gibbing animations are far behind us.

But still they have predefined cut points.

Like the wood on the E3 demo. That plank probably has 4 break points, and will break the closest one to where your shot hit. It will do this every time if you shoot the same spot.

Originally posted by simmo2k3
When a limb gets blown off, image the detail using the source engine, all the bits of blood, muscles, etc etc, but IMO I dont think they will include tha ability to blow limbs off, we weill just have to wait and see when EVIL gets the e-mail from Gabe :)

/me cinges in disgust. I didn't become an emt for good reason, so why should I be exposed to detailed, post impact human anatomy in an FPS I paid good money for?

Originally posted by urseus
Like the wood on the E3 demo. That plank probably has 4 break points, and will break the closest one to where your shot hit. It will do this every time if you shoot the same spot.

I dont think so...

that would just be lame.
YOU ARE WRONG!!! :p

if it looks good and plays well thats good enough for me.honestly..you will be complaining gordon does'nt get splinters from smashing wood with his crowbar next.

He wont? Oh no! Thats it I'm not getting HL2.

I don't think the wood has set break points like you mentioned. If you watch the video, you will see that the wood breaks exactly where he shoots it. Having set points would look worse than the whole thing breaking in one go.

Going off topic a bit. I think that you should have a secondary attack on the crowbar, where you ram the 'pointy' end through things, instead of just whacking them.

The zombie thing is a good point! even if it's a predefined spot, the model can be splitted, and that means limbs can go of (if we're lucky).

Originally posted by NiteStalker
The zombie thing is a good point! even if it's a predefined spot, the model can be splitted, and that means limbs can go of (if we're lucky).

I seriously doubt it's a predefined spot. The zombie by chance moved into that area, and Gordon happened to shoot the barrel, which happened to cause the car to go flying in that direction.. thus hitting the zombie.

The situation could have gone a completely different way on another playthrough, so I don't think it was predefined.

Valve say that the game will feature practically no scripting, almost all of what you see will be pure AI

I'll take that with a pinch of salt. ;)

You NEED scripting for all sorts of things - they presumably mean that combat situations will be handled by AI routines rather than inflexible scripts.

You NEED scripting for all sorts of things - they presumably mean that combat situations will be handled by AI routines rather than inflexible scripts.

Hm this could be right but Gabe stated in one of the vids that there was no scripting in what we saw when Barney and the blokes in white were running about, He stated this was AI and the AI decided when to move or lay down covering fire ECT. ;)

Frame-by-frame his death, and you'll see that the moment he takes damage

The whole reason I'm buying a high-end graphics card is so I DON'T have to watch the game frame by frame...

Back