They Hunger: Lost Souls goes alpha

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
It's the beginning of the end. The dead have been seen walking the downs of Sussex. The black squirrel has been seen as far afield as Luton. And I beheld a pale steed, and his name that sat on him was Death -[br]Alternatively, the highly anticipated Source semi-sequel to the critically acclaimed and claustrophobic zombie experience They Hunger has now entered the alpha stage. According to Einar Saukas, most of the work is finished and refined, and the team are now focusing on the finishing touches such as integrating scripting, dialogue and animations. To go with this announcement, they've realeased the three screenshots below. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]The team also still need more modelers, animators, and skinners to help speed up development of the remaining models. Previous experience on Source is required. Anyone interested should send samples of their previous work to Neil Manke at [email protected] .[br]To get knee-deep in the dead, click here. Time to start hoarding canned food. If anyone wants me I'll be holding up Sainsbury's with a sawn-off shotgun.

Jummie jummie jummie, I got love for this sweet game in my tummy!

Are these the same guys who did "They Hunger" for HL1?

Looks nice. :D

i'm buying this one for sure! almost more interested in this than HL2: Episode 1 or Sin: Emergence. They Hunger original for HL was spot on ......... But does anyone else feel like it's Source overload at the moment? I'm not complaining at all. It's just that everything is coming along at once! Episode 1, Emergence, both due very soon, will soon (by the looks of it) be joined by Lost Souls! source SP content is becomming like London buses - Wait for ages then 3 come at once!

dogboy73 said:
But does anyone else feel like it's Source overload at the moment? I'm not complaining at all. It's just that everything is coming along at once! Episode 1, Emergence, both due very soon, will soon (by the looks of it) be joined by Lost Souls! source SP content is becomming like London buses - Wait for ages then 3 come at once!

Yep and its about time! :D

Mutley said:
Yep and its about time! :D

QFT!!! wasn't the price going to be at $5.00? or $10.00? wel still cheap anyway, even to this UKer

Aww, how cute. They've modeled in a Swedish newspaper. It's in picture #2.

Tsar Bomba.:stare:

It still bugs me that they've just ripped off the Dr. Moss model instead of creating their own, they've probably kept all the modified HL2 "zombies" (The NPC's).

Cruor said:
It still bugs me that they've just ripped off the Dr. Moss model instead of creating their own, they've probably kept all the modified HL2 "zombies" (The NPC's).
I'm sure it's a placeholder.

Wait.. we have to buy it? So it won't be available in retail I assume.. :|

diluted said:
Wait.. we have to buy it? So it won't be available in retail I assume.. :|
What? It's a mod, it's illegal to sell.

It's not a mod' It's gonna be distributed through Steam AFAIK, but I'd imagine it might go retail if it sees enough business through Steam (perhaps testing it on a smaller market, like the UK one ;)).

It's not a mod. It's a standalone game. Just because it's the sequel to a mod, doesn't mean it, too, is a mod. Exactly the same applies for CS:S and DoD:S (which must be the mods you're referring to with "bullsh!t prices").

You can still play the original mods for free. So what's the problem? CS:S and DoD:S were developed by Valve - they cost money to create. They are not a simple patch to the original mods. They are rewrites.
Lost Souls is not a simple patch to the original They Hunger. It's something new.
Tired of the prices? Don't buy. Simple.

I duno, something in those screenshots makes me feel as if it's not all that polished yet. It's incomplete and all but atm I dont think I would buy it.

Thats just an opinion though.

Feels like Steam is being flooded with content, soon anyway.

I won't just buy every game released, like I have done, I've been stupid like that.

I'll wait and see, but the screens look nice, but don't they always?

Tired of these people whining about things being sold that they don't have to buy.

Don't like it? Don't buy it, and the problem goes away.

Hey, I have a question. Is there any big engine feature that this game is adding to Source? Like Vampire: the Masquerade added everything needed for an RPG, mostly they touted the dialogue system; SiN: Episodes is touting dynamic difficulty; Valve added HDR, which is being incorporated into all new Source games. Is this game bringing any new features to the table, or is it pretty much just new models, AI, maps, HUD, etc. ?

Pi Mu Rho said:
Tired of these people whining about things being sold that they don't have to buy.

Don't like it? Don't buy it, and the problem goes away.

thats the best thing i've heard all day and if any can recall Manke emailing something to VALVe about using they hunger, we all know now that he wanted to something bigger than just a mod, it's the first step into a new maket, and the only way manke can get a real job in the gaming world, they always tell you, if you keep making maps, texture art, model's of the highest standard then you break the line and land a job in that world

Smigit said:
I duno, something in those screenshots makes me feel as if it's not all that polished yet. It's incomplete and all but atm I dont think I would buy it.

Thats just an opinion though.

It's not polished .. since this is an alpha

Back