They never really 'couple' with ones head...

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
I have just realised the following:

How come we never actually get to see somebody get "headcrabbed'?????

I mean both the player and NPC's are attacked by the little critters (headcrabs), but they never really 'couple' with anyone! Instead you only get to see the already 'raped' zombies!!!!

Wouldn't it be cool/scary/sad/despairing to see someone actually getting headcrabbed? To witness the screaming, the mutilation, the mutation, etc. I think that would add GREATLY to both the ambience/mood and the gameplay.

What are your thoughts on this?

you do see one thats only just been headcrabbed, shortly before you get to the airboat.

PlayingMantis said:
Where, when? My memory fails me.

After the accident, you go past one of the offices from the beginning and see a scientist crush a headcrab with a filing cabinet. Another one gets him from behind when he's celebrating.

EDIT: Kageprtotype beat me to it.

There is also a black scientist who you find dead in his chair with a headcrab latched on him. You can kill the headcrab and he falls off but the guy is dead.

Right at the start. He's the one talking to the the G-man. You seem him push a filing cabinet over onto one of headcrab, cheer at his own briliance, then get owned from behind.

I figure you could make a fortune in City 17 selling helmets with spikes on top.

"You wanna headcrab me, punk? You ahead and try." :smoking:

PlayingMantis said:
Where, when? My memory fails me.

just after the disaster, after the test chamber, a scientist in one of those lab offices gets headcrabbed .

it is a set-piece action itself specifically, but it dosent happen in the general gameplay because i dont think they have made code to do something that complicated yet.

I thought the headcrabs killed the enemy [humans] and then when they were dead, crawled on top of the body and reanimated the corpse? It would make sense, instead of trying to jump onto a moving target that's running around screaming, and then having the guy bash the headcrab that's just landed on his skull to death. It's probably also why there can be so many zombies around - the killing ability of the headcrabs is fairly limited, but it makes sense for them to go around and reanimate the corpses of all the dead, that's why there are so many zombies around [Imagine stalingrad with a zombie infestation.. ye gods].

Can anybody confirm/deny this? I'd like to know because I plan to implement the above in a SP game. Headcrab kills a guy, or finds a body, then crawls on top and converts it into a zombie.

I remember seeing one, where the scientist is sitting on the floor, and hes just...sitting...You can crowbar it off, but he doesn't live...

SearanoX said:
It's hard to say...though I wouldn't think a corpse would be capable of screaming., assuming that the headcrab simply makes the limbs of the corpse move and nothing more.

Ah, good point. Hm. I'll email valve :>

SearanoX said:
It's hard to say...though I wouldn't think a corpse would be capable of screaming., assuming that the headcrab simply makes the limbs of the corpse move and nothing more.
Some of the noises the zombies make in HL2 hint that the host is still alive, to a point, unable to control itself but feeling all the pain.

Also, (mentioned in another thread) why are there only adult male caucasian human zombies? No women, no negros (I am unsure if this term is ethically offensive), no non-humans (combines, trans-humans), no obivious civilians, no obese people, no muscular people, enfin, no variety...

What's up with that? We want real-time, 'undiscriminated' coupling... :burp:

Also in one of the offices, there is a scientist at a monitor with a headcrab on him. He is thrashing around in his chair with the oh so spooky lights.

If you mean by combine soldiers, how in the hell would they get headcrabbed when they are wearing a gasmask helmet?

Combine Hybrid said:
If you mean by combine soldiers, how in the hell would they get headcrabbed when they are wearing a gasmask helmet?

I meant combine soldiers and trans-humans (pre-combine soldiers) alike. At the very least combine soldiers would/should suffocate and succumb under the attack
of H-crabs...

PlayingMantis said:
Also, (mentioned in another thread) why are there only adult male caucasian human zombies? No women, no negros (I am unsure if this term is ethically offensive), no non-humans (combines, trans-humans), no obivious civilians, no obese people, no muscular people, enfin, no variety...

What's up with that? We want real-time, 'undiscriminated' coupling... :burp:

I'm not sure if negroes is offensive, but it's certainly hilarious
try negroids for a spicy alternative

I don't think so. Their gasmask helmet gives its own air to let them breathe, their neck and shoulder areas are protected by combine soldier uniform. Headcrabs would just leap off at them and try to tear them up part but not try to headcrab their head.

By the way, ever wonder why headcrabs never headcrab voldigaunts (SP)? Because those alines eat headcrabs alive.

The transition would take to long, it would sit there for a good hour or two. It would be good to see though =]

Something I've wondered about zombies/headcrabs, why do the zombies come after you? I mean, obviously the headcrab is controlling the zombie, so, the headcrab wants to kill you? Why? It already has a host... maybe it just wants a fresher one?

doomed - uk said:
I figure you could make a fortune in City 17 selling helmets with spikes on top.

"You wanna headcrab me, punk? You ahead and try." :smoking:

:D LOL

diluted said:
Something I've wondered about zombies/headcrabs, why do the zombies come after you? I mean, obviously the headcrab is controlling the zombie, so, the headcrab wants to kill you? Why? It already has a host... maybe it just wants a fresher one?
I remember finding Zombies in Half-Life 1 stooped over the corpse of a freshly killed scientist. They were doing something to them as well but because of animations I couldn't tell if they were playing with them or eating them.

headcrabs don't seem to eat, but once in zombie form they have huge mouths on their chests
they're hungry

Combine Hybrid said:
I don't think so. Their gasmask helmet gives its own air to let them breathe, their neck and shoulder areas are protected by combine soldier uniform. Headcrabs would just leap off at them and try to tear them up part but not try to headcrab their head.

I digress. I thought the whole function of their gasmasks was to filter/purify the existing atmospheric air (that is being transformed in HL2). So I'd say they still choke..

Combine Hybrid said:
By the way, ever wonder why headcrabs never headcrab voldigaunts (SP)? Because those alines eat headcrabs alive.

I have seen that bit, yeah.

I want to see the grand vortigaunt army arrayed against the combine, with baby tentacle spears and headcrab helmets

did you know zombies eat through their stomach, i think in HL1 you see a zombie picking at a dead body and putting the flesh directly into its stomach through a hole in the chest....

Back