ThiefIII review

Neutrino said:
Like what? Have you played it yet?

Like read other reviews one a web and you will see why he is an idiot. He is clearly scared of another "Deus Ex 2 review" fiasco, that's why he is so harsh on the game. Calling it one of the most ugliest games in the recent memory, I mean come on, this game looks better than 90% of garbage out there.

Neutrino said:
Like what? Have you played it yet?

Well, for starters the reviewer begins with "Deadly Shadows upholds that tradition with what is doubtlessly one of the ugliest games in recent memory."

That's quite an exaggeration. We know from screens and videos that while Thief: DS is by no means the best looking game on the market, it's visual quality is certainly not as low as this reviewer makes it out to be. He was quite harsh on the graphics, and I have to wonder why. The game looks mediocre in some shots, good in some shots, and great in some shots. In motion everything looks pretty much fluid. The shadows certainly look pretty. The texturing, while a bit too low res in some areas, is pretty good overall. The NPC's do look a bit dull, but not ugly, or like wax people. I have not yet played the game, but I have seen it in action, and in stills. His comments were overly harsh.

EDIT: Damn you Mr.Reak, beat me :p

qckbeam said:
Well, for starters the reviewer begins with "Deadly Shadows upholds that tradition with what is doubtlessly one of the ugliest games in recent memory."

That's quite an exaggeration. We know from screens and videos that while Thief: DS is by no means the best looking game on the market, it's visual quality is certainly not as low as this reviewer makes it out to be. He was quite harsh on the graphics, and I have to wonder why. The game looks mediocre in some shots, good in some shots, and great in some shots. In motion everything looks pretty much fluid. The shadows certainly look pretty. The texturing, while a bit too low res in some areas, is pretty good overall. The NPC's do look a bit dull, but not ugly, or like wax people. I have not yet played the game, but I have seen it in action, and in stills. His comments were overly harsh.

EDIT: Damn you Mr.Reak, beat me :p

Ya I can agree with that. Some of his general statements seemed rather over the top.

But I'm more concerned with the specific things he mentioned. Just sounds like it could be another DX:IW catastrophe. Hopefully not though.

But I am a bit concerned over the no lip synching. That's pretty bad.

Neutrino said:
Ya I can agree with that. Some of his general statements seemed rather over the top.

But I'm more concerned with the specific things he mentioned. Just sounds like it could be another DX:IW catastrophe. Hopefully not though.

But I am a bit concerned over the no lip synching. That's pretty bad.

There is lip synching, that's why people are saying here that editor over gamespy has no idea how to write a review. He can't get his facts straight, he spend two pages whining about graphics. If you want good review, read 1up or Gamespot.

I got DE:IW, and It was one of the worst games I played !

The guards are as dumb (far worse than the original), the area of play are horrific (as mentioned), and finally, I shot a guard 5 times in the head and he still didn't die !
"Wait, a helmet can take *5* 9mm bullets at a pinch" I hear you say. The guy had 1) No helmet and 2) I was using a shotgun, need I say more ?

I turned down my hype for Thief 3 after that. Another promising game gone to the XBox (read : Dogs).

Mr.Reak said:
There is lip synching, that's why people are saying here that editor over gamespy has no idea how to write a review. He can't get his facts straight, he spend two pages whining about graphics. If you want good review, read 1up or Gamespot.

Not doubting you, but I'm just wondering where you saw or read that there is lip synching? I read several more reveiws including 1up and gamespot and didn't see anything about it. They just mentioned that the characters were done rather poorly, but didn't mention talking.

oh by the way guys...if any of you feel convinced to buy the game, based on the 4/5 star-rating...DX:IW got the same rating :|

hmmm....

http://www.thief3.org/

Deus Ex was a far greater game than DX:IW.

Thief I & II are great games. Thief II improved greatly on the first one. from the sounds of it, Thief III sounds like a game trying to sprint on ice.

i'll buy it, but not looking forward to it because i know i'll be disappointed. i'm gonna take out a big bank loan and buy the rights to make System Shock 3. there's no way Ion Storm can match System Shock 2.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is awesome. I've almost completed it and it ****in ROCKS.

I've finished it. IMO it was an awesome game, best game I've played so far this year. The game oozes atmosphere. Play through the Shalebridge Cradle and you'll know what I mean. Definitely worth the money I paid for it. I managed to successfully complete the game without killing anyone( YAY :bounce: ). I'll probably go through again to see if I can finish it without getting caught. The story was good IMO.

why was the cradle scary for people. It was exciting yes, but not scary.

Thief 3 was great plain and simple.

Yakuza said:
why was the cradle scary for people. It was exciting yes, but not scary.

Thief 3 was great plain and simple.

you're telling me you didn't get scared on the way up to the attic? You didn't have a weird feeling in your stomach throughout the entire level? You didn't rush through the mission because you wanted to get out of there as fast as you could? I'll admit thought that I found the outer cradle to be more scary than the inner cradle

Back