This Defies Everything!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 281
I hope this makes sense...

Edit: Okay, so it is a little confusing. I didn't sleep last night, it's not my fault. :p

he's got it in one...

Originally posted by CyberGeek
I'll try to explain it (first post! Woohoo! Been registered for nearly a month ^_^.)

Each of the shapes in the first picture are the same size as the corresponding shapes in the second picture. The hypotenuse is bent in both pictures. It is not bent because of a flaw in the drawing, it is bent because the slopes of the two triangles are different. The slope of the green triangle is 2/5 units, while the red triangle is 3/8 units. 3/8 cannot be reduced to 2/5, so the hypotenuse would be bent, both in a computer representation and when calculated. The size of each shape does not change and as such the summation of the areas does not change.

Area of green triangle - 5
Area of red triangle - 12
Area of light green figure - 8
Area of yellow figure - 7

The total area of all the shapes added together is 32 for both figures. Now, let's pretend for a moment that the hypotenuse in the first triangle is straight, both geometrically and in the computer representation. That would make its area 1/2*13*5=32.5. That is one half of a unit more than what we know the actual area is. Since we know that the hypotenuse on the first figure is concave, it is easy to see where the half a unit comes from (the empty space in the bend.)

So, we now have half a unit accounted for in the bottom triangle, where does the other half come from? By swapping the triangles you now have a convex bend, which simply comes out to be another half a unit hanging out of a 13 by 5 triangle. Those two half units come together in the mysterious white space.

Simple geometry and spacial reasoning, really ^_^.

Originally posted by Sat
ValVed RaY when the hell are you going to understand that this forum is for HL2 related things ?

...ermm this is the "general off-topic chat" ... that' kinda non-hl2 related in my books

Why dont you just draw some of those shapes on paper and see for youself. Draw it with streight lines mind. Then we will see who is thick :p

Originally posted by PistolOnly
...ermm this is the "general off-topic chat" ... that' kinda non-hl2 related in my books

It's been moved. :p

lol the answer was correctly discovered on the 2nd page (i think), why are you still discussing it?

WHy doesnt someone try to make this again, but make it PERFECT

Originally posted by SpuD
WHy doesnt someone try to make this again, but make it PERFECT

That's the whole pont which CyberGeek made...

The shapes cannot possibly form a perfect right angled triangle in the first place...

Back