This is odd, some help please?

gh0st

Reaction score
image24kh.jpg

As you can see, my trendy 1 panel sky ceiling is superimposing itself over these brushes - it even happens in game! Any ideas for getting rid of that? Also, how do I make the freakin level bright enough to see in. Its bright as hell in my rooms, but not outside. What is the entity that does that, and wha settings do I use?

edit- nevermind, I fixed it. I'm an idiot, set the skybox in map properties.

ok, i lied, heres an ingame screenshot

my.php

please help :\

Can you post some screenshots of the 2D views? It may be easier to figure out what's causing your abnormalities that way.

use the skybox texture for your skybox- blue with white boxes...

(not the actual textures)

Hazar is correct. Texture the outside box with the generic skybox texture and define the specific skybox that you have chosen in the map properties. I have a feeling that even after you fix this you will still have problems, so screenshots of the 2D views would be helpful.

Here is a very helpful hint, use the advanced search feature of these forums and search for skybox tutorials.

I wrote a simple tut on 3-d skyboxes if you would like to try it:
Here is a samlpe map to go with it: Right-click and save as. test1_skybox.vmf
Open this map into hammer to see exactly what you need to do to make a skybox.

Take an existing map small preferably (or make a new room similar to example map) and do this exactly.

Click the "goto cooridinates" option from the "View" menu and enter 0 0 0. Hit "shift+E" to select the entity tool then select "skycamera" as the entity and place it at the exact coordinates 0 0 0.

This is where I used to get messed up! Follow exactly:

Uncheck the "Entities Vis Group", hit "Shift+S" for the "selection tool and go to any 2-d view and drag a box around your entire map and hit enter. Everything should turn red if you did it right. Now re-check the "Entities Vis Group" so that you can see the entities again make sure everything is still red and you should have the "Skycamera" in view now in the 3-D view. Hold Ctrl and left click the "Skycamera Entity".

Right now you should have your entire map selected + the "Skycamera". No other entities should be selected. Press Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste. Now you should have a copy of what you had selected. Right click the new pasted selection choose "Transform" select mode "Scale" and put 0.0625 in for X, Y, and Z and click "OK".

Now everything that you originally pasted should be at 1/16th scale except for the skycamera. It should still be a big red cube. Everything that got scaled down should not touch or overlap the original map in any way.

The next thing you should do is go back to your normal scaled map and DELETE the "Skycamera". You no longer need this.

Now, the 1/16th scaled brushes (which are only used as reference) can all be deleted, DO NOT delete the "Skycamera" that was pasted and scaled down.

Last thing to make it work right:

Draw a box around the new "Skycamera" that was scaled down and make it like 500x500x500. Any size will do just make sure it surrounds the "Skycamera". Ctrl+H to hollow and apply the "tools/skybox" texture to all surfaces inside and out.

If you have a standard 2-D skybox in your normal map and did everything I said you should now have a 3-D sky box. Compile and load it up.

yes they are correct. use the "skybox" texture on whatever brushes you want to make your skybox. then go to map > map properties, click where it says skybox texture name and choose the name of the skybox texture youd like to use. *http://www.hl2 world.com/wiki/index.php/Sky_List* shows the names of the skyboxes and what they look like. (delete the space between hl2 and world in the link in order for it to work)

Back